Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Surgical Mesh Complications (Page 1)

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hi -- for anyone out there having complications with mesh repairs or anyone considering undergoing this surgery......please take a moment to speak with me. There is alot of info available on this topic all in one place. So, before you agree to this surgery or suffer one more moment as a consewquence.....pm me.

I know alot about it myself having just undergone a surgery to remove it. The complications were unbelievable and resulted in a 6 wk stay in the hospital...most of this in intensive care. I still suffer the consequences, as do many others.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper peej1998
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
I am scheduled to have surgery to put a mesh in as I have inguinal hernia. From what you wrote, it sounds like you regret having the mesh put in. So what problems did you have and what alternatives are there for hernia sufferers?
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Mesh used in hernia repair
Have the surgery with out the mesh,you will avoid the complications associated with the mesh (foreign material,that you will have as long as in you. The lie to be expected to hear"it's the standard" the truth is ,it is the standard for another surgery to get the mesh(foreign material out,that is if the person will do the surgery.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.

replied June 11th, 2012
Prolene Mesh Inplant Hernia and Abdominal
Mesh Used in Abdominal Plasty and Incisional Hernia

I had ab surgery 11/28/11, been suffering every since. My surgeon finally told me he had put Mesh in my abdomin(I did not know this), I had a hole just above my pubic hairline that would not heal, then my insides got infected, long story short, the mesh was taken out of my abdomin, but left over the herniated area. Not good, I feel like I have steel in my chest and I have been on pain pills for 7 months. I'm consulting with a new doctor, who is referring me to surgeon that will remove it. In the mean time, I have many regrets that this foriegn substance is in my body, worst thing that has every happened to me medically in my life. My quality of life have been severly affected and I'm trying to find an attorney now that will take my case.
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
Hernia mesh repair
I had a hernia repaired in 2005 they put in the kugel mesh, I have been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 years with a bowel blockage, when I was in the hospital in May I was told it is growing into my small intestines, I have been told different things about if I should have it removed now or later. anyone with the same problem. dont know what to do.
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
Hernia mesh repair
I had a hernia repaired in 2005 they put in the kugel mesh, I have been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 years with a bowel blockage, when I was in the hospital in May I was told it is growing into my small intestines, I have been told different things about if I should have it removed now or later. anyone with the same problem. dont know what to do.
|

replied September 5th, 2012
Hi Jakkay, I had Surgery for abdomial hernia on June 20th 2012. Took out old mesh which was wrapped in scar tissue. Put in new bigger mesh. In hospital for 6 days. Released but developed a seroma at hernia site as well as infection at incision site. In hospital for 11 days from Aug.3rd to Aug. 13th. Picc-line placed in my arm and they also packed 22" of gauze in my incision 3x a day. IV antibiotics (unasyn) 4x a day. Was released Aug. 13th. To well to stay in hospital but I am on IV meds at home ($75.00 a day, my insurance doesn't cover outpatient services)and I am packing my incision AND left hospital with "2" drainbags for reacurring seroma, one on either side of my belly. As of today Sept.5th. I am packing 2" of ribbon in my incision, huge improvement, but, I had both drainbags removed, last one just Friday Aug.31st and it had to be put back in Tues. Sept. 4th, yesterday. Collecting about 15cc daily. I am supposed to be done with IV meds by Sept. 14. My Doctor is hoping that the infection is not on my hernia mesh however, just to be sure I am going to be on oral antibiotics for 6 months. My problem is this seroma. The doctor says I'm not healing around the mesh because of the seroma. Is this drainbag enough? I've had it nearly 5 weeks now. Any help out there?
|

replied October 26th, 2012
The question is:
If you suffer from inguinal hernia
and are scheduled to have an operation to put a mesh in
-- so what are you to do ?
Are you to argue with the surgeons in the hospital
you have been ordered to ?
You are not a professional in this area.
What are your arguments ?
What alternatives are you to offer to a surgeon ?
Do you have a choice at all ?
I live in Germany.
The most likely answer to a patient's arguing would be
"If you do not agree with our mesh implant method --
then go on to live with your hernia!"
I underwent this operation five months ago.
I am still not quite comfortable with the mesh inside
my body. I only hope my condition will become better.
It is not dramatic enough to demand a removal of the mesh
implant.
Manfred Lutz (Germany)
|

replied September 18th, 2012
Hernia mesh-not all bad
I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repaired 16 years ago using polypropylene mesh patches and traditional surgical cutdown procedure. The operation went very smoothly and my recovery was great. I went to the hospital in the morning and was discharged in the afternoon. I have not had any complications, discomfort or recurrences. Many complications are related to infected surgical sites and not a result of the mesh itself. A good procedure with a good surgeon should result in a good outcome. Millions of hernioplasty procedures have been performed for many years. The use of hernia mesh began in 1959 and has a long and positive track record. There are some newer hernia repair devices used that may fail, but I think a patient should be informed about the benefits and potential complications of any procedure. Be your own advocate and ask questions when consulting with your physician.
|

replied November 9th, 2007
Do I Have Regrets??? Silly Question
Hi David -- these meshes are seriously flawed. So many ppl are having debilitating complications from them....it's so sad. Do I have regrets? Everyday. This is the single worst thing that I could've done. Please do your homework? Just for a quick FYI google this.... Hernia Mesh Patch Recall....this is a blogsite full of ppl who've lived to regret the mesh. The synthetic meshes.....polypropylene, polyester, etc are made of petroleum products and you know...that can't be good. Seriously, the info is out there....do the homework. There are other safer products....AlloDerm, Surgisis....there isn't so much scarring and adhesions associated with these products. They don't induce the foreign body response. They are, overall, much safer. Please check out the Hernia blogsite...a few minutes in there and only a fool would use this stuff. Let me know if I can help more.
Mo
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2011
Hi Mosfolly,
You said there is alot of info in one place about complications from mesh. Could you please post that website info. I really want to find much more information before I think about doing anything and internet searching is taking forever to get any small bit of info I need. But to be able to support my case to the surgeon I need to have more info to back up what I am telling him. His solution right now is to send me to a pain clinic to track down the nerve and kill it by either injection or surgery. I know I am high hernia risk if they totally remove the mesh but surely there is something else they can put in that my body won't react to or attach to things it is not supposed to.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Lumbar Hernia Repair w Surgical Mesh
Hi< my name is brittani and boy do i agree. I had a lumbar hernia repair done Feb 9th of this year. Supposed to be a simple fix n back to work in week-what a joke! i suffered nerve damage from them tacking the mesh in, now suffering w the nerve pain plus sidepain and fatigue from the mesh. Have been off work almost 2months longer than should have been and now lookin and loosing my job and having another surgery to remove the friggin mesh anyway! wht a nightmare!Wish i wouldve had more info on the mesh before the surgery def wouldve made different decisions!
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
3 weeks post op pelvic floor repair with mesh placement
Hi,
after having complained of itching, pain, pinching, in areas where mesh was used, I am wondering if anyone can fill me in on all the details or recommend a site. I also have muscle pain and fatigue that is severe.
scared
I have many symptoms, not sure if they are normal recovery or related to any complications. I am not sure how to proceed, as I had to have to mesh because of prolapse of abdominal organs....Sounds like the cure may cause major health problems!

Terri, AKA GhostNurse44
|

replied March 21st, 2012
mesh surgery
I had a bladder lift in 2009 and have experienced various medical issues since having this surgery done. The urine leakage got worse instead of better and I have difficulty in being able to urinate now like I use to before I had the surgery done. I also have a lot of back pain and leg pain as well.
|

replied January 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Oh boy can I sympathize with you about the meshes.
Many are in this same boat.
I hate hearing about more people suffering.
First you need to find out what type of mesh was used, then file a report with FDA on their site it's called an adverse effect report.

These meshes are causing many to suffer in chronic debilitating pain.
Sorry you are one of those people..Sad
|

mesh and weight loss
I've had 5 umbilical hernia repairs. The last one took place in 2004 and was done laproscopically (sp?). The surgeon inserted mesh from my left to right side. In 2007, I began a major weight loss program and have lost 70 pounds in about 10 months, mostly because I am walking 4 miles a day. Last fall I began having what my doctor feels are adhesion problems and now I am in serious pain on my left side. I thought I had shingles at first but after 3 weeks there in no indication of any on the exterior. Rather, it feels like someone is inside my skin with an emery board and is scratching away. It is slowing shifty to the middle of my stomach. Am now wondering if the mesh is just doubling up and chaffing me. Does anyone know what happens when you have massive weight loss and mesh? I'm fairly certain it is synthetic so what happens as I get smaller? I would welcome any advice anyone is willing to share. I have a serious aversion to talking to doctors/surgeons these days.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I am sorry to hear you one of many many people suffering from mesh implantation.

I can not comment on weight lose and the mesh but I can tell you the FDA has pulled some of the meshes off the market.
You might want to check out the fda site and file an adverse effect report.

The first and foremost is to file a report with the FDA you also need to get copies of your operative report specifically ask for the form with the type of mesh, product code, lot number and manufacturer.
|

replied January 27th, 2008
Mesh
My husband is scheduled for a double (bi-lateral) laparoscopic hernia operation on February 7th 2008. The surgeon is going to use "mesh". I plan to find out the names of the safer mesh products (alloderm, surgisis etc.). If we confirm that they are using the better mesh should he go forward with the surgery. Should we cancel the surgery alltogether? What healthy, safe options exist for hernia repair? Is the older method of non laporoscopic surgery a safer technique?

Thank you to all of you who are sharing your experiences. You are making the world a better place and preventing others from making the same innocent mistakes.

cl
|

User Profile
According to what I have read on the Internet, there is a safer method called Shouldice, named after a Canadian Army General, who started this method after WW2. There is now a Shouldice Centre in Canada, search for it on Google to find the website or look on Wikipedia. But as far as I know, only at the Shouldice Centre can you get the shouldice hernia repair surgery. It involves 4 layers of stitching to repair the hernia and has a 99% success rate. If I had had the money I would have flown there to have it done, but not being in Canada it was not really an option. I had hernia repair surgery here in the UK using the mesh, and I have not had any complications. The older stitching hernia repair that existed previously had a lower success rate and a long recovery period.
You really need to examine all the methods and find out what is available to your husband in your area, and weigh up the pros and cons of each.
If he has the mesh surgery next month and it is the safer mesh product then I hope it goes well. If you find out it is a not-so-good mesh product, then I would probably postpone surgery and look for an option using a better mesh product.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I would recommend researching other options than having the mesh implant for your husband.
There are many, many horror stories that people are going through from the meshes. I don't believe there is any mesh that is safe.
Some people do OK but the majority of people have a variety of complications.
I would hate to hear of anyone else suffering from these meshes.
Best wishes Smile
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
mesh complications?
i had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago a year after a hernia repain (3 years ago) and lately have been in a lot of pain. i saw my surgion about 4 months ago he said it was the mesh not another hernia he said i could remove it with surgery or live with the pain.... lately ive had alot of weird things....

ive been constantly thirsty for nothing but water
it hurts to breath
i hurt no matter how im possistioned
it hurts worse when eating
sometimes its a stabbing pain
sometimes its just.... i cant explain how it hurts but there really is never a moment it doesnt hurt. and i cant take ne thing but tylenol fr pain and that does not help.
all day today its hurt so bad there will be times i burst out crying.....

any ideas of if this is because of the mesh? i know my doctor said the pain would keep getting worse but i never realised it wuld hurt this much. anybody have any ideas?
|

replied February 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Why did your doctor say the pain would keep getting worse?

People are suffering from many different complications from mesh implants.
They range from bowel obstructions, bladder problems, pieces of the mesh breaking off and adhering other organs, nerve damage and many more problems, some even state the meshes are hardening which are cutting into our bodies causing more damage and scar tissue. (Another word I've heard is meshoma)

You should check the FDA site to see if your mesh is one that was recalled. Of course you will need to find out what type of mesh was implanted in you, then file and adverse event report on their site. They are investigating further complaints from people who's meshes have not been recalled.
The pain can be very debilitating, I really sympathize with you.
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Complications can affect your entire life
I had a Bard Composix EX mesh inserted due to an incisional hernia in Sept 06 and it was removed Dec 07. Those months between surgeries were horrific. I faced chronic pain, infections, fatigue, and I spent most of those months in bed. How is a person supposed to survive never mind, work, family or any sense of a life? My business all but failed, no social life, and limited family life. Who would call it a life? Not me. I would like to reinforce what others have stated in that mesh is not the best reesort. Explore your options, but if you decide on mesh, be fully aware of the signs and symptoms of product complications. If you experience any of these complications do not hesitate to seek immediate medical attention and insist that all testing be done. The mesh removed from me showed inflamation according to the pathology report. Ask for your medical records, especially the hospital records and get a second opinion or at least do your research.
|

Extremely eHealthy
debreid

I could not agree with more. I hope people are listening to the posts on here about the meshes.
I know exactly what you mean about Who would call this a life? I say that often.
I have 2 meshes in me and I am awaiting the next doctors opinion. Thus has been a life changing experience (a miserable one). I am no longer the happy person I was, I suffer 24/7 in pain, it take all I have to get my daily chores done and I need help doing those things. I can longer drive myself to the many doctor appointments or even do what use to be a simple task as grocery shopping, the walking,lifting, all of it hurts.
I have done a lot research on these meshes, spoke to others who have them, spoke with doctors, and now I'm in contact with the FDA, looking for answer.
I am sorry to unload on you, it's been one of those really bad days, in were I went on a rant on how miserable I am to my family and I can not do take much anymore. Don't get me wrong I am blessed to have such a great family but this is wearing thin on them also.

Who would have thought having a "simple hernia operation" would ruin a persons life?

What long term problems are you suffering with as a result of the mesh?
|
Users who thank ^Serenity^ for this post: jbowler14  mickster58 

replied May 17th, 2012
i had mesh inp;anted in me in2001..ongoing digestie problems..how do they take tests to determine if the mesh is hurting
|

long term problems
Currently I am not sure what the long term complications will be as I am still recovering from surgery. I would like to report back later saying no complications but that is highly unlikely. I have an attorney looking at my case right now and would like to hold Bard accountable for their product even if there is no financial restitution. Public awareness and product safety is foremost.
My surgeon states that I have about 95% chance of the hernia developing again. So I am exploring my options. The Shouldice Hospital is an option as I live in Canada, but the other side of the country.
|

Extremely eHealthy
The sholdice repair is suppose to be excellent.

I hope your recover turns out well for you.

Keep me posted!!!
|
Users who thank ^Serenity^ for this post: tuppence 

replied March 6th, 2008
Class Action suit undertaken
I am not sure if any of you are aware that there is a women in the state of Florida that has started a class action law suit. I was fortunate enough to find out the possible complications and nightmares from having mesh implanted in me before I had any surgery. i would also advise people to check out "Vycril" stitches because like the mesh it is also made out of polypropylene products and it caused me a lot of problems with past surgeries.

You are all in my thoughts and in my heart. good luck.

Tammy aka Canadianmom1997
|

replied April 12th, 2008
Wow I am so glad that I have found this site. I am 28 years old and I got my first hernia when I was 21. Right now, I have 3 hernias; two in my groin area and one right under my stomach. Past 4 years, I have been having bowel movement problems whenever I lift something slightly heavy or do any sports including biking and swimming. Things got worse for past 6 months and I am having bowel movement problems constantly and I am 100% sure that they are because of the hernia. I have been to 3 or 4 doctors and they never advise me to have surgery since the hernia is small. I am thinking about having the mesh surgery and heard some negative things about it but never thought it was this massive. I am completely lost and I really don't know what to do. Seems like surgery is not the definite answer here. Anybody having these kind of problems and found some kind of relief under than surgery ???

Thank you. I just needed to share these things that I am going thru. I wish everybody best of health....
|

replied April 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and Welcome to ehealth

I am sorry to hear you about all this. You have 3 hernias and the doctor hasn't done anything for you? I don't know what else can be done other than surgery. Hernias usually get worse over time without surgery, very few people that have hernias heal without surgery but since you are having bowel problems that's a sign of possible hernia strangulation with your intestines.
Personally I would not recommend the mesh to anyone but that is my opinion.
There are other ways to repair a hernia one is called the Shouldice repair.
I hear more and more stories of post op hernia problems.
Did you check the sticky at the top on this thread regarding hernia mesh complication?
There's some important information in there as well.

Feel free to pm me if you like.

I wish you the best...feel free to ask as much as you need to. We are hear to help...Smile
We are not doctors just regular people who have been through some of the health issues.
Take Care
|

replied April 13th, 2008
Thank you for the warm welcome. I am thinking about seeing a doctor who specializes in Hernia operations yet I live in Turkey and even though I have a very good health insurance, it is not always easy to get the right care.
I don't if anybody experiences such bowel movement problems but mine is worse at night when I lay down and try to sleep. It causes many sleepless nights and affects my daily life. Thank you again for hearing me out. Best regards...
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
hernia repair
thats amazing i finally found someone who understands the bowel complications i am having mine are all night to.my whole life has been ruined since feb of 2009 i had incisional hernia repair with mesh dr.said he had to put it qa lot of places especially close to my bowels now i am in misery and no one really cares every one is sick of me complaining some days i hope i don't wake up at all its that bad and the dr's just look at me like i am stupid i have about gave up i am almost 47 and feel 97 i have lost 35 lbs dont wanna eat do to the bowel problems im at a loss.....
|

replied September 22nd, 2012
Hi,In January 2008 I developed an inguinal hernia. After a lot of research I decided against having the hernia repaired with a mesh since I read so many stories of complications with mesh. It took a great deal of research but I finally decided that either the Shouldice method in Canada or Dr. Ulrike Muschaweck in Munich, Germany were the two best non mesh choices. The Canada Shouldice clinic had an 18 month waiting time at that time so since it was urgent I went to Munich. It cost about 7K but after reading other people's problems with mesh I am very glad I did it. I haven't had the slightest problem since...now 4 years later. I was back to running in about 5 or 6 weeks. Its possible Dr. Muschaweck does surgery in New Jersey and/or california now too. I'm checking on that for one of my brothers who has also developed an inguinal hernia. Rob
|