Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Do You Eat More Or Less When Depressed?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Use to be when I got really down in the dumps, I could go for days with no appitite. But, that has change now for some reason. Now if I am depressed (which is not often with my meds) I eat more then usual.
How do you get when you are deppressed?

Carrie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i eat less
|

replied October 19th, 2007
Experienced User
personally...it depends on your regular diet...to me it seems that those who eat less on a regular basis eat more and those who eat a normal diet eat more....Personally....i eat more....only because it gives me something to do other than to feel bad.
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Experienced User
I eat much less. I didn't even know that could happen, then one day, no appetite. I didn't eat for 24 hours.

Oh man, I remember one time, I was so depressed, I became physically ill.
|

Extremely eHealthy
How True
Lots of people just stay in one place during this period of time. Not even getting dressed and stayiing in bed or just sitting looking at nothing. And not eating all day. This is so like normal looking at one of the biggest problems with depression. Eating is on the top of the list for sure. That is why I am surprised at myself, that I have changed into the reverse now. Every moment I am looking for something to munch on. Most of the time it is junk food. Chocolate covered donuts is usually first on my list then cinnamin rolls. Never anything substantial.

Carrie
|

User Profile
I eat lots more which is probably why i am very much over weight!
and eating when your depressed is like a nasty spiral down and down cause when im depessed i eat then i get more depressed because im fat, so i eat again and try to find comfort in food which never really works!!!
|

replied October 21st, 2007
I eat way less when I'm depressed, I just sit around and stare at walls... I lost 7kg in 7 days once.
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I eat more. Lots more.
|

if i do recall, when i was depressed i didnt seem to change my eating habits. but i did lose weight over it. weird
|

User Profile
Supporter
During my regular, every day depression, I'd eat way more. When winter comes around, though, when I used to be at my most severe, I'd have no appetite. I remember times that I wouldn't go to the bathroom for days at a time because I wasn't putting enough into my body.
|

i eat a lot less
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
I usually have little to no appetite but still end up eating more and it is usually junk food.... then I feel even worst.
|
Quick Reply