Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Heart Flutters When I Take a Deep Breathe (Page 1)

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
hi my name is donna and i am 47 years old. my problem is that alot of times i can feel my heart skip beats. but the worse is when i take in a deep breathe my heart flutters. this does it for a long time. it happens when i walk or even when i am sitting down relaxing. its very frightening. when i check my heart rate its between 60 and 80. does anyone else have this problem. and could this be something bad. i take toprol 25mg twice a day but it doesnt seem to help. thanks Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ivan777
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Donna,
I have heart palpitation. it feels like you heart just stops for a sec.(it really is not stopping) it is an electrically catch up thingie..
Most heart palpitations are not harmful. But if I where you I would ask the doc to check it out.. have a ekg and make sure everything is working ok.. Stress can make them more often.. And funny as it seems, they happen more when you rest, but when you have one you get excited and cause them to be more often. The best thing to do when you have one it tell yourself everything is fine. That is what I do and I have not had one for a long time..

Caffeine is a no no and alcohol they cause them more frequently.
Have the doc check you out just for your own peace of mind and I bet you will fine them to disappear or at least not be so often..

Donna why does your Doc have you on toprol?
|

replied October 24th, 2007
Heart Palps
thank you for answering my question. i called the dr. and he said not to worry but i do. when you take in a deep breathe does your heart flutter. mine does and it scares me. it does it alot sometimes everynight. i will just sitting and watching tv and i feel like i have to take in a deep breathe. and when i do my heart flutters. its really scarry. does this happen to anyone else out there. please tell me its normal.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
Heart flutter
Hey, i was just reading your post. These flutters have been happening to me lately. It is very scary. I had a ekg about a year ago and the doc said everything was fine. But lately they have been happening a lot. usually after i walk up the stairs and lay in my bed. I am only 26 and in good shape. But after these heart flutters happen i feel like i don't want to do anything for the rest of the day. I am going to have a holter moniter put on next week.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
I'm 46 and I have a heart murmur and high blood pressure, fluttering of the heart happens to me often and everytime it had gotten bad enough for me to go to the doc I often found that I was urgently lacking potassium..Have your pottasium checked..
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
When I'm resting, I can feel my heartbeat much more.

Can you describe "flutter" better...do you mean beating hard?
|

replied November 2nd, 2007
Flutters
last night i was laying in bed and my heart started to flutter. it feels like its poundinf but at the same time it skips over to the next beat. and it is worse when i take in a deep breathe.or if i move. i was really scared last night.
ii dont know what to do. i called the cardiogist and he tells me not to worry. but i do.it doesnt seem normal.
|

replied November 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
Me to
Hia i am sixteen years old i have that all the time when you breathe in you feel it flutter but i also have alot of chest jaw and arm pains for the last year have been in hospital two times dctors four times and have spoken to two parmedics and had an ecg !! and blood tests taht are normal! and normal blood pressure i feel constant pressure in my jaw !!! help wb xxx
|

replied November 5th, 2007
Flutters
jodie16 thank you for responding. i too have chest pain alot. it goes into my back. jaw pain. sometimes it gets so bad that i have to go to the er. they do the test and tell me its not mt heart. and send me home. now that i am getting the flutters it bothers me maybe they are missing something. what kind if test did they do for you and did they come up with an answer for you.
donna
|

replied November 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Hia !
Umm....I Have Had Ecgs Blood pressure and blood tests seen alot of doctors !! they come up with nothing pains in my arms goign into my hands i think you have anxiety as a matter of fact i stared medication today ! ive had these pains for a year ! come on! if it was my heart somthing would have happend by now!

i think your panicking but you dnt notice you r thinking abut it all day there for you are obseesin over it thats why it will not go away ive started cardiac for a year cause i want to become a doctor
i get the flutters two when i suddenly get up or when im sitting down !
they dnt go i used to think oh god its my heart im gnna die !!

and what if i wasn gnna have a heart attack theres nothing any one could do !! with me obsessin over it made it worse ! i told doctors they were missing somthing it wasnt right time and time again they said they werent !!! i was convinced !

until i spoke to a cardiologist who said heart pain wouldnt go on for that long without somthing happenin to me "! soo a year he was right i am sixteen thats young aswell "

im still trying to find the cause of this pain Mind over matter thing ** Maybe

How long have you had this for donna is the pain dull or sharp

Does your lower back hurt

jodie x
|

I have had the same issues as most of you. I am 26 yr old mal.

It is hard for me to sleep as well, plus I (and I expect most of you have anxiety)

I took an EKG and a stress Echo test. Both came back fine. Although I have a lot of wierd things that happen to me that freak me out.

But I think it is because all of us are so sensitive to everything. We are the big thinkers because we feel other peoples pain...

anyways, I have a feeling like bubble are rising from the center of my sternum... I also have the heart fluttering and esophogeal and eyes spasms. I dont excercise much and drink a bit of coffee and beer now and again. My heart will also stop from time to time as well. And I have to breath in really deep in my lungs to help myself believe I am going to have another beat. I am also hypermoble in the sense that my joints pop in and out a lot. Also, when the cardiologist took an ultrasound of my heart, I could hear the tiny frequencies in the scan in my left ear and felt like I was going to pass out...(humans arent supposed to hear that)

All Im saying, is I have a lot of things to think about in my mind, try some breathing and yoga techneaques to relax and not think about your day before you go to bed. CLear the mind
|

also, my cardiologist said my heart was elongated.

This means that possibly, my shoulders, since they are so bent out of shape from sitting all day, might be crushing my heart and making it do wierd things to survive the strangulation.

I stretch my shoulders and neck and chest in a lot of ways not in a lot of different angles before i sleep, usually this releaves some discomfort.
|

replied November 15th, 2007
Experienced User
Yess
I Think Stretchings ! Good I alsom believe if the doctors carnt find anything wrong with you its mind over matter ! you gtta stop obssesing about it okay
|

replied November 20th, 2007
Flutters
hi everyone so i went to the drs. and he told me that my 24 hr, montoring said i was having palps. but it was nothing to worry about. but i do. they are getting worse. is there another test that could be done. to say whats wrong. i am really worried about it. i have my only daughters wedding coming up in january and i would like to be there for her on her special day and if i keep feeling this way. i dont know if i could do it. the more i do the worse the palp and fluttering get. please is there someone out there who can help me. tell me what to do.
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
Okay
Umm....I Have Had Ecgs Blood pressure and blood tests seen alot of doctors !! they come up with nothing pains in my arms goign into my hands i think you have anxiety as a matter of fact i stared medication today ! ive had these pains for a year ! come on! if it was my heart somthing would have happend by now!

i think your panicking but you dnt notice you r thinking abut it all day there for you are obseesin over it thats why it will not go away ive started cardiac for a year cause i want to become a doctor
i get the flutters two when i suddenly get up or when im sitting down !
they dnt go i used to think oh god its my heart im gnna die !!

and what if i wasn gnna have a heart attack theres nothing any one could do !! with me obsessin over it made it worse ! i told doctors they were missing somthing it wasnt right time and time again they said they werent !!! i was convinced !

until i spoke to a cardiologist who said heart pain wouldnt go on for that long without somthing happenin to me "! soo a year he was right i am sixteen thats young aswell "

im still trying to find the cause of this pain Mind over matter thing ** Maybe

How long have you had this for donna is the pain dull or sharp

Does your lower back hurt

jodie x

hows your results ! on the heart monitor
|

replied October 9th, 2010
I too have these flutter's when i breath in deeply & have had lot's of test's that have come back normal every time, they are worrying but we should be reassured by the results & worry much less as worry & stress just aggravates the situation, i get them all day long sometime's but i have researched them enough to know they are simply harmless although unpleasant...hope ive helped a little...we arent alone in this x
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Flutters(ECTOPIC BEATS)
ECTOPIC BEATS

These flutters may be kind of ectopic beats. Ectopic beats are irregular heart beats arising due to the variations in the electrical conduction system of the heart. They are generally harmless. But if it occurs frequently its better to consult a doc.
Ectopic Beats may either be

* Atrial Ectopic Beats arising in the atria(the upper chambers of the heart)
* Ventricular Ectopic Beats arising in the ventricles(the lower chambers of the heart)

They are generally harmless dont worry friends Smile
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Palp
Hi!
I read your post and i also have heart palps..The biggest fault that you are going to make when you get one is to think: 'Oh my god!!! My heart is sick!! Im going to die!! I just had a palpitation (flutter)!This will stress you out so much (you could also have a panic attack) that it will make the palps come back more pwoerful and in greater numbers.
The best thing you have to do is:
cut down coffee and caffeine in general
cut down alchohol
eat a lot of fruits especially apples(they contain a substance that help your heart)
you can also try magnesium supplements.They help your heart
And the most important is:
When you get a palp DONT PANIC.Tell yourself everything is fine and continue to breathe normal..Dont think about it at all or there is a 70% that you will get another one.I know it's hard because at the beggining i was thinking about them all the time but you must try.

So know if you want to know why do you get the palps i'll tell you.Well every person has an automatic nervous system that we cant control and its responsible for the heart and the other organs..This automatic nervous system send a elecrtical signal everytime to tell the heart to beat once..It's a perfect system/But mother-nature cant be perfect all the time and sometime a part of the heart jumps in before the brain sends this electrical signal.So the heart stops for just a little to get back to it's normal rythm...
What can maken this part of the heart to jump in..?
Caffeine
Alchohol
Stress
Or sometimes nothing

Almost everyone gets heart palpitations but they just dont notice it.You are too obsessed about it.You dont have anything. Smile
|

replied July 17th, 2012
Heart/breathing problems
I came across this forum because I am experiencing the same things. Right this moment, it is happening, and I keep thinking "I'm going to die, I'm going to die." I'm twenty four. I don't want to die. I think lots of you are right. I know I have anxiety problems. I am going to see a psychiatrist soon to hopefully get some sort of medication. Seeing that I'm not alone and that lots of you have similar problems makes me feel more at ease. Lots of you said that we just need to calm down. I really agree. I just didn't know your mind could have such tremendous power over these kinds of things. I hate feeling this way, as I'm sure you all do as well. Hopefully we can all get this behind us. I'm so sick of feeling like I can't breathe and that makes my heart flutter even worse. The family doctor I go to right now keeps running me around in circles, which is very frustrating and makes me feel like my back is against a wall and I have no one to help me. He won't give me any medication until I get a Holter monitor put on me, but that is over $600 for one day and he wanted me to do it for two days. I have no insurance and am a full-time student. Still, there is no help unless I have a job. His office doesn't help students financially unless they have a job, so I'm stuck for now. Even now I feel so terrible, like I could die any moment or in my sleep. I hate it so much. It also doesn't help I guess that when I feel these flutters, I check my pulse, which just worries me more. I want to get through this!
|

replied November 13th, 2012
Don't worry ,,that's what they tell me @the hospital.But while sitting on side of bed having myself hooked to moniters and all of then sudden the nurse run's into the room alarms sounding off heart fluttering in my chest.and she looks at me and say's are you alright and i look at her and reply,,I think so?,,and continue to read my bible.and as she is walking toward the service desk i hear her tell them at the desk,never seen a heart rate drop so fast?And then after all is done?they diagnose me with a irregular heart beat,guess one beat is for this flesh and the other for jesus,,pray for me as i for you and all that have this difficultie.been a skipping and flipping all night long?
|

replied July 17th, 2012
I came across this forum because I am experiencing the same things. Right this moment, it is happening, and I keep thinking "I'm going to die, I'm going to die." I'm twenty four. I don't want to die. I think lots of you are right. I know I have anxiety problems. I am going to see a psychiatrist soon to hopefully get some sort of medication. Seeing that I'm not alone and that lots of you have similar problems makes me feel more at ease. Lots of you said that we just need to calm down. I really agree. I just didn't know your mind could have such tremendous power over these kinds of things. I hate feeling this way, as I'm sure you all do as well. Hopefully we can all get this behind us. I'm so sick of feeling like I can't breathe and that makes my heart flutter even worse. The family doctor I go to right now keeps running me around in circles, which is very frustrating and makes me feel like my back is against a wall and I have no one to help me. He won't give me any medication until I get a Holter monitor put on me, but that is over $600 for one day and he wanted me to do it for two days. I have no insurance and am a full-time student. Still, there is no help unless I have a job. His office doesn't help students financially unless they have a job, so I'm stuck for now. Even now I feel so terrible, like I could die any moment or in my sleep. I hate it so much. It also doesn't help I guess that when I feel these flutters, I check my pulse, which just worries me more. I want to get through this!
|

replied July 25th, 2012
Hang in there
I am sorry you are having these problems.I am 47,and I started having skips,palpitations,and flutters at 28,I was scared to death that something bad was gonna happen to me,but,I have not had a hear attack yet.I don't have much palpitations anymore,but I have some flutters,some skips now and then,but let me tell you,anxiety(nerves)can really mess you up,as they have me,worrying,is the worst thing you can do,I know,but,its easier said than done,not to worry.Just try to think as positive as you can,I had a nervous breakdown with all the anxiety when I was 28,I had to train myself not to think about anything negative at all for a long time,to get through it,it was hard,but I made it.Just hang in there,and the best advice I can give you,is to know Jesus(to be saved).He has helped me the most,and is always there for me no matter what is happening.I will pray for you,for all on this post.God bless.
|

replied February 5th, 2013
Heart rate
Hi I. Have all the above I find sitting in different positions causes odd beats sleeping as well and faster heart on deep breath
Doing work they do not exist I take huge amounts of vitamins for 25 years a life extension interest of mine I take Xanax since 1985 I smoke as well
Any ideas oh aim a shallow breather at rest
|

replied July 31st, 2013
Taking deep breaths and heart beat flutters
Hi from John Hutchison I get the same thing it happens mostly at rest. I take a deep breath and get flutters aim a shallow breather I get flutters if it's cold outside when leaving a warm place I don't get them if physically active the more physical aim the better aim I do coffee and snake I take Xanax and about a hundred supplements daily. I get heart skips beats and if aim in a certain position I get them for 7seconds or more until I change position or let it run it's course ok nothing to worry about but what is it ok more info if I do deep breath it goes away but the first breath and second maybe it happens with flutters or heart rate all wonky
|
12 >>