Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Kifosis

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hello
I am a 24 year old male with kifosis.
I was diagnosed at 14yrs old, I had the corrective brace but was young and stupid and did not use it. So now, 10yrs later my back is getting really crooked and I am starting to experience pain. I also have a hump that seems to be getting worse. My question is what kind of surgery or other options are available to correct this?
The pain and my appearance are both starting to worry me.

Thanks
Ryan
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Please seek the advice of a professional medical doctor. I would highly recommend that you see a neurologist or doctor who specilizes in back problems. Remember I said doctor as in MD.
|

replied March 29th, 2009
Your back question
I think you need to get yourself educated quickly and that just isn't with traditional MD's. It' includes traditional MD's, holistic type chiropractors (not the cracking kind), physiatrist and physical therapy. There are so many things that can go wrong with your back and unfortunatley, the opinions you get will represent the agenda of the professional providing it. I suggest you get educated quickly and get a variety of opinions. It's amazing what exercises every morning can do, but if your situation is such that is really needs medical attention you need to consider that route as well. The back is a big mystery and I'm firmly convinced that everyone goes down a specific path and gives you that suggestion, when in reality there are a variety of ways to reach a solution. You'll have to balance all of those to decide the most appropriate approach based on all the info you've received.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Experienced User
Just had my second one done two days ago. This one was worse cause it was 75% factured with compression. More pain after and longer on pain management this time. Did a biopsy on this on too. I take my Morphine every twelve hourse and my Percacet every 4 hours like clockwork. Sometimes pain can not wait the full 4 hours, that is how bad this one is. Damaged those two wings coming out the inner part of the spine this time which I did not do this last. This was caused by falling from a gran mall siezer due to the lack of medications they had change or totally discregared to give me when I had my nervous breakdown a week ago.
I had a wonderful nerosurgeon and that make th difference in the world. Just hope the pain lets up soon. It's not fun I know.
|