Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gout Diet Forum

Gout - what are good and bad foods for gout diet? (Page 1)

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Hi, I am so lost... I have been lookign for a good and bad list of foods for gout.. even on THIS message board the stories conflict.. eat seeds, dont eat seeds,, blarbedy blarbedy blar.. Does anyone REALLY know where a good list of foods is? I cannot find any nutrition link on this site.. which is where it says there is a "diet"? Also, there has to be a way to get meds for gout without having to go ot the doctor every time.. some people cant afford this. cherry juice is laughable... alfalfa pills HAHA.. So my question is.. what IS the REAL list of good and bad foods? some sites say to eat fish and some say not to.. I just dont get it.. nothing coincides. My husbnad was taking some pills that the doctor gave him with his first ever gout attack, then when he went to the doctor the next time for gout, they said OH NO YOU CANT TAKE THAT.. it ruins your stomach.. there have been lawsuits etc.. so.. now he wont take anything the doctor gives cuz they are stupid and none of them say the same thing twice. I have been witness to this personally.. I cant believe the conflicting stories he gets. and no way can I trust something online,. its usually just peiople trying to sell their stuff. So what have you found to be true and un true? Like I said I saw the sticky for the new gout diet forum.. but cannot find it. so will someone plesae give me a heads up on these topics?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ihEARTminho
|

replied October 17th, 2007
Experienced User
American Academy of Family Physicians recommends the following for treating acute gout attacks. Both Ibuprofen and Naproxen can be purchased without prescription.
Indomethacin (Rx) 25~50 mg 4 times a day
Ibuprofen (OTC) 800 mg 4 times a day
Naproxen (OTC) 500 mg 2 times a day

Diet and other gout info can be found at ICuredMyGout.org .
|

replied October 22nd, 2007
Good Or Bad Foods For Gout
Hi goutwife, I am also a wife with a husband that suffers from gout. I have been searching for the last 5 years trying to find out what works. Like you, I am frustrated because there is not one single place that you can go to get the right answers for foods to eat and not to eat. To conflicting.
Because gout is kind of like arthritis I took what I know about arthritis as well as gout and have created a diet for my husband.
So far I have found that if you remove anything that contains wheat or yeast it helps. Fruits and juices are good, yogurt, salads (without tomatos), lowfat milk, cheese. If you are going to eat nut's, make sure they are not dry roasted or salted. I find that pecans are the best. I hope this helps.
|

replied August 12th, 2009
Gout food plea.
@ lvnwgout
THANK YOU so much. I'm looking for a good gout diet, low-purine and low-gluten diet for my dad. Even though sites say that gout affects most men OVER 40, he's had gout for at least five years and he's TURNING 40 this year.
so.. IS cherry juice good for gout??
|

replied August 12th, 2009
What foods are REALLY good or bad for gout?
I'm looking for a good diet for my dad who's turning 40 this year and has had gout FOREVER. it seems like there's NOTHING he can eat so i'm making a list of foods to avoid, eat, and what dietary habits he should make.

A. Foods Not Permitted
a. Anchovies, buillon, brains, broth, consommé, dried legumes, goose, gravy, heart, herring, kidneys, liver, mackerel, meat extracts, mussel, partridge, roe, sardines, scallops, shrimp, sweetbreads, yeast [bakers&brewers], yeast extracts such as marmite and vegemite, tomatoes, dry beans, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower. Add to list given by doctor.
B. Foods to Beware
a. Fish, shellfish, poultry
b. Must be eaten with moderation
c. NO DRY ROASTED OR SALTED NUTS.
C. Good-For-You’s [take off list if it is on doctors list]
a. Beverages [carbonated], butter, cereal, cereal products, cheese [all kinds], cocoa, corn, cornbread, eggs, fruit juices, fruits, ice cream, low-fat milk, noodles, nuts [pecans], refined wheat flour, tapioca, vegetables, white bread and crackers [avoid whole wheat, which is moderately HIGH in purines], white rice, yogurt
b. CHERRIES AND STRAWBERRIES and other fresh fruit
D. Other Dietary Suggestions
a. Drink plenty of fluids, pee a lot to get rid of the thingys
b. Increase consumption of vegetarian-based proteins
c. Reduce calorie intake, but avoid fad diets and very low calorie diets, which may precipitate gout
d. Avoiding alcohol, high-purine foods, such as meat, fish, dry beans (also lentils and peas), mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, and cauliflower can lower plasma urate levels. In addition, consuming purine-neutralizing foods, such as fresh fruits (especially cherries and strawberries) and most fresh vegetables, diluted celery juice, distilled water, and B-complex and C vitamins can also help lower plasma urate levels.
e. A possible "natural" cure is a berry extract supplement consisting of bilberry, blueberry or cherry extracts. The anthocyanins which give the berries their blue and purple hues, after entering the body, turn into powerful anti-inflammatories.
f. Reduce alcohol consumption.
. Beer.
a. Avoid all beers that are "bottle conditioned," "barrel-aged," or have high alcohol content (above 6.0 % ABV), because these are the beers that may still have yeast living in the beer as they continue to consume additional sugars and all beers that are unfiltered, particularly wheat beers, and gluten-free beers that are unfiltered because the yeast may still be a living part of the beer. Although yeast is high in vitamin B (which is good), it is also HIGH IN PURINES (BAD. BAD. BAD.)
b. Drink the same amount of water or more as beer, if you consume any. [so if u have one bottle, drink like.. four or five glasses of water]

Please let me know if any of these foods are actually in the wrong section, such as if cherries are actually harmful to gout or if somehow... [we can hope, right?] red meat is actually the best thing ever for gout.
Also, please tell me if certain methods of cooking are actually very very harmful to gout such as roasting, baking, or fryng, or stir-fry or barbecue
PLEASE HELP ME!!!
|

replied August 15th, 2009
hey um, I've read that gout affects men in their older years, I'm 27, I've had gout since I was 13-14. I"m still affected by it today, as I sit here, I have a flare up. I joined the Army with it n I'm not gonna tell them ne thing. Some of you are right, n some of you have the right ideas. For future attacks, n some are NOT reversible. The planned out foods that you KNOW are going to give you a flare up, stay away from. I cant eat or drink anything citrusy, I can eat beef and pork. Different types of diets are needed for each person. Go with the Asian style eating, fruits and veggies. Little or no meat, thanks guys.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
gout
can i use any cocoa product? im undergoing in gout problems.
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Try this out
I''m female with gout for the last 2-3 years. So far I''ve found that Aleve (Naproxen) helps when you get the initial gout twinges in whichever part is affected. But for more severe attacks, my doc will prescribe an NSAID and painkiller.
Some of the info seems pretty contriversial and will contradict doctors recommendations. I will be personally trying out some of the recommendations (eg. the Black Bean Broth thing) to see if it really works (against familial protests!) because the only things the docs can do is treat the pain. I''m hesitant to start on Allopurinal (the gout prevention meds) as there are a whole list of side effects that just scare me.
|

replied June 11th, 2010
Gout
Kintri,
Don't let the side effects scare you! I,m on Allopurinal with another drug (that the allopurinal leaflet tells you not to take with it!)and I'm fine. Well, apart from the gout that is!
|

replied June 11th, 2010
I too am completely bamboozled and fed up with all the contradictory advice about gout. I had my first really bad case about a month ago (though I had little tell-tell twinges for a couple of years previous). I am 49 and never had a problem with it in my life. I must say I have never experienced pain like it in my entire life, I've had a few broken bones in the past, but, that pain was nothing compared to gout! I just wish someone would print a definitive list of what to and what not to eat or drink to avoid an attack. I really feel sorry for you people that have had it for years, as I said, I've only had it a month and I'm pissed off trying to find out more about it!
|

replied July 4th, 2010
I'm 31 and I've had gout for about 7 years. Early on I tried listening to just what my doctor told me and I kept a list of foods that I was supposed to avoid with me and changed my diet to fit with it. (My first major attack lasted 2 weeks and I couldn't walk because of the pain, so I took it seriously.)

What I've learned since then is this: There is no one, cure-all gout diet.

We each have bodies that treat food in slightly different ways, and those differences can dramatically affect how what we eat interacts with gout. For example; I have never had a negative reaction to wheat or yeast products and meats have little effect on me, but one piece of asparagus or shrimp and I'm walking with a cane.

I suggest taking what the doctors recommend, as far as dietary restrictions, and running your own tests, see what affects you and how badly. It takes some time, but in the end you'll know for sure how to avoid future attacks.

As for fighting attacks once they have happened, the ibuprofen and naproxen mix mentioned earlier works for me, while indomethacin just gets me high and hurts my stomach. What seems to really make attacks end sooner is just forcing liquids, especially juices high in anti-oxidants, vitamin C and anti-inflammatory compounds. (The old cherry juice, as well as pomegranate, cranberry, blueberry, acai, and green tea. You will spend A LOT of time in the bathroom, but it does seem to end the attacks sooner.) Do not let yourself become dehydrated.
|

replied August 25th, 2010
gout and medication
Hi, i am with gout for more than 4 years, My doctor prescribed me allupurinol (zyloric), when i was on zyloric medication it increases my uric acid level and also i used to have severe gout attack at different joints not only toe. For past 6 months when i get gout attack i take naproxyn 500+500 mg and have completely stopped taking allupurinol and i could find my pain reduced and again when i sleep it increases. After 4 or 5 days it reduces.

but i am bit worried about the side effects of naproxyn.
###Never consume naproxyn in empty stomach###.

during this period i use to consume around 6-8 liters of fresh water along with vitamin c (1000mg)and 4-5 banana and apple.

as with food i consume rice with some curry that fills up your stomach very well and does not trigger your uric acid level.

try to avoid mushrooms, duck eggs, beef, mutton, pork prawn,internal organs (like heart, liver, kidneys, sweetbread) and any alcohol product(your enemy for gout)

consuming allupurinol continuously will reduce your bone marrow and you may also be prone to osetoporosis after 50+
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
gout
Is Fish oil supposed to help? Cherry juice concentrate? My boyfriend suffers from gout real bad, plus high blood pressure and his flare up has been over a few months now...trying to find things to help....
|

replied May 10th, 2011
If every day eat coco chocolate will affect gout. Attac
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
Great Work......
thanks for the information on this blog! I find it very interesting and entertaining! hopefully soon have updates that I love your post! I thank you too!
|

replied September 20th, 2011
I am not getting paid for this, just someone that found out it works. Try Gout-Cure (GC) at goutcure.com it works great! I am talking in 2-3 days you will be back to normal IF you drink a lot of water and avoid booze and pork, shrimp, etc.
|

replied June 24th, 2012
Is Salsa good or bad for Gout?
|

replied August 27th, 2012
Thanks to all of you guys who have the time to share your experience . i'm loss here. I had my first (little bit) attack . To me looks more than alert. My mother had gout attack and she suffered a lot until I took her to ER . I did not go that far, but I got scared.
Looking as you guys comment what I'm going to eat?. Is this is for ever?.
Any recommendation to clean the system
I'm not a drinking person but I love to eat.
|

replied June 5th, 2013
Gout
I too suffer from gout for about 5/6 years, I have had flare ups in my toe,ankle,heel of my foot and most recently in my foot then went to my knee , they call that the flying gout ,The trigger was excessive coffee,(caffeine) the Dr prescribed indomethecin and the pain left immediately but the swelling lasted about a week or more. Ibuprofen 800's work if u catch it before it flares up

SCROOGEMAC
|

replied June 24th, 2013
Blind leading the blind
Usual old bollocks then.....
Goutwife asked if anyone had some good knowledge of foods that decrease the incidence of gout because everything on the net conflicts. On one site it even has coffee in both 'good' and 'to avoid' sections.
The litany of conflicting replies on here just shows that there's some significant research to be done.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply