Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

How Long Does Ambien Stay In Your Blood System?

How long does Ambien stay in your blood system? I will be taking a drug test in 2 days for a high level job in a recovery environment, and this is one of the drugs that is on the list that is unacceptable. I've been prescribed Ambien most recently.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Birch
|

replied October 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Not Really Sure But
Ambien is a controled drug. Usually it depends how long you have been taking it to how long it stays in the system. Most of the time, if you have not taken it for very long, about 2 weeks clean will not show up on drug screen. I use to be a drug screen colector and I have seen up to a month for some drugs and still show up postive for their values.

I wish you the best. Shame the workplace has come to this. Can't even take anything to help you sleep for frear of not getting a job. Now that really sucks.

Carrie
|

replied May 5th, 2012
ambien is out of your system in 12 to 24 hours. But within that time frame it can test out as rophynol. This happened to me. I popped for a date rape drug.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
The half-life of Ambien is about 2.8 hours if your liver is working correctly. That means it takes that long for half the drug to be processed out of your body... It should be out of your system within 10 to 12 hours, but every individual is different.
|

Extremely eHealthy
If you have been prescribed this medication by your doctor and can take information showing that this was prescribed to you at the time of your drug screening then this won't be held against you. They are only looking for illegal drugs and prescription drugs that you haven't been prescribed to take. But if a controlled substance is in your system that a doctor did in fact prescribe to you then you CAN NOT get in any trouble/or be with held a job for that.
|

replied June 18th, 2009
Someone close to me took 3 mg of ambien last night that was not prescrided to her. She is supposed to take a drug test in one day. Will this show up after 24 hours. She weighs 212 lbs.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Ambien
Ambien comes in 5 or 10mg, not 3mg. Are you sure she took the correct med? & yes it will show up in the drug screen...as long as they are testing for Benzodiazepines. Benzo's are a class of antianxialytics such as Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin & Valium. They can stay in your system from 1-6 weeks. Here is a time table of drugs & when they show up in drug tests. Hope this is helpful!
|

replied December 17th, 2011
Wrong. Ambien is not a benzodiazepine and even though it shares some characteristics of a benzo, urine drug screens will show up negative for benzodiazepines for people taking Ambien. Source: "Lack of cross-reactivity of Ambien (zolipdem) with drugs in standard urine drug screens." Evanston Hospital, Clinical Pharmacology Unit, IL, USA. The abstract can be found on the web.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
That is not true. It does show up as a Benzo. My daughter just took a drug test and it came back positive. She had to get a letter from the doctor stating that he prescribed it to her. And her doctor infact said that it has the same properties. Not trying to be confrontational just saying...
|

replied January 13th, 2013
Ambien is not a benzo
Ambien DOES NOT show up as a benzo. I work at a medical facility, have to take random drug screens and have NEVER tested positive on a benzo screening. Your facts are not correct.
|

replied March 7th, 2012
why do You say Ambien stay in your system longer that othrers?
Why does all other research say 24 to48 thours to get ambien out of your system And howeve you say 4-6 wks?
|

replied July 11th, 2009
CONSUMING ANTIACIDS FOR EXAMPLE 100% ORANGE JUICE WILL HELP U GET RID OF THE MED FASTER VS WATER OR ANY OTHER FLUIDS, THE ACID OBSERVES ALL THE CHEMICALS OF THE DRUG AND IS EXPOSED OUT BY THE URINE
|

replied November 10th, 2009
I took ambien 24 hours agon one time and was wondering is it safe to consume alchol at this point after the 24 hour period? I am not planning on taking another pill of ambuen.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
I have a prescription for Ambien - 5mg. I took 1/4 of a tablet 7 nights ago. I am scheduled for a drug test for a job in 3 days. Will this show up in a drug test? I'm really concerned as I don't want to loose the job. Also, I took 1/4 for 3 nights in a row, but hadn't taken any prior to that for at least a month. Very concerned. Thanks
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
i took 5mg of Ambien a night before my exam which was at 9 am ...i took the med at 2pm.Do you think it was out of my system by then .Or could i have completely messed up my exam and ruined my life
|

replied November 26th, 2011
ambien mixed with other drugs
if a person taking ambien took 20 mgs of this drug at say 10 pm ....and he was also taking xanex, valium, roxicodone, would he be safe to drive at 9 am the next morning ....and would this show in his sytem at noon the next day ??

thats 18 hours since they claim to have taken any medication ...is this person safe to drive??
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Its never safe to drive w/ xanax, oxy and ambien in your system. That would be stupid.
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Its never safe to drive w/ xanax, oxy and ambien in your system. That would be stupid.
|

replied April 12th, 2013
Ambien
How long does amiben stay in your system for a mouth swab... alot of my friends tell me it doesn't show up... I don't believe that is true but I have a drug test Monday and I took one last night
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
I give blood and urnie drug screens very often. I also have to take blood and urine drug screens frequently, as it is a job requirement. I've been on 10mg of ambien for almost a year, and I assure you, it does NOT show up as a benzo, and you will not fail your drug screen over this. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your daughter failed her drug screen, then she is also taking other medications that you weren't aware of. BUT, I can say, it doesn't matter what kind of drug is in your system, as long as you have a valid prescription, it cannot be used against you in any drug screening, or put your job in danger. I hope this helps.
|

replied August 8th, 2014
Urine Testing Can Detect Ambien For at Least 3 days After Use.
There is a lot of misinformation out on the internet about whether ambien can be detected in a urine test. BEWARE of what you read!! None of the posts I found provided any back-up proof to support what they claimed. I researched this issue and found that Ambien can be detected in urine for up to 72 hours after a single dose. Here are some sites that have information.

First, a 2007 Article titled: "A Simple and Rapid Method for the Identification of Zolpidem [generic ambien] ...in Urine" states that ambien can be found in urine for 2-3 days following the ingestion of a single therapeutic dose of zoipidem [generic ambien]. http://jat.oxfordjournals.org/content/31/4 /195. This 2007 article seems to be proposing a new and easy (and inexpensive?) urine test to detect certain byproduct compounds in the urine caused by ambien use, for up to 72 hours (3 days) after taking ambien. I presume (but I couldn't prove) that SOME COMPANY SOMEWHERE has read this article and created and marketed this simple urine test by now.

As long ago as 2004, an article stated that using [then] current urine tests, Zolpidem could be detected for up to 60 h[ours] in urine with peak concentrations obtained at 12 h[ours]." Windows of Detection of Zolpidem in Urine and Hair ...." http://www.fsijournal.org/article/S0379-07 38(04)00211-7/abstract?cc=y?cc=y.(Hair sampling detected ambien for up to 5 weeks after use. This article is only an Abstract, I did not have permission of the website to view the full Article without a subscription).

Generic urine "dip strip" tests do not seem to test for ambien.

You will find many posts that say that the normal 10 panel "dip strip" urine tests do not test for ambien. If you Google "home urine tests" or "10 panel urine tests" you will find many companies that sell cheap ($7 - $20) home "dip strip" urine tests that test for approximately 10 common drugs. Ambien is not one of these drugs. You will find many posts that say that ambien will test as a "false positive" for benzos on these dip strip tests, and just as many posts that say this is not true. If you test "false positive" it is possible that you will be subjected to more sophisticated follow-up testing.

One type of sophisticated test is an ELISA test. ELISA stand for "Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay ". As near as I could tell, these are sophisticated tests and need specialized equipment to conduct. These testing supplies and equipment are sold for "forensic" purposes only, which I assume means only for medical providers and law enforcement. The following is an example from the website of a Company (Biocompare) that sells these tests:

"Neogen's Zolpidem ELISA test kit is a qualitative one-step kit designed for use as a screening device for the detection of this drug [zolpidem] and/or its metabolites in forensic matrices. This kit was designed for screening purposes and is intended for forensic use only. It is recommended that all suspect samples be confirmed by a quantitative method such as gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS)."

A 2011 article on ELISA testing for ambien stated that urine testing detected ambien 20 hours after ingestion of a single dose: "Two of the patients showed zolpidem concentrations of 10 ng/mg creatinine or above after 20 h[ours] post dose." 2011 Article titled "Zolpidem urine excretion profiles and cross-reactivity with ELISA() kits in subjects using Zolpidem or Ambien() CR as a prescription sleep aid." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2161972 4.

Finally, previously sophisticated and expensive urine tests for Ambien are becoming widely available, as exemplified in this March 2013 Headline "Randox Toxicology launches three new assays for the detection of Z drugs; Zopiclone, Zaleplon and Zolpidem."http://www.randoxtoxicology.com/ articles/105?articleSectionId=3.

Hope this post helps anyone wondering whether urine testing can detect ambien and for how long. Bottom Line? To be safe, plan on ambien being detectable for at least 3 days after you take it.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 18th, 2014
i think so it takes that long for half the drug to be processed out of your body.
|