Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Legs Crawling Sensation

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I also have fibromyalgia, menieres disease and severe TMJ. I just had a splint made for chronic grinding of my teeth and the headaches, shoulder and neck pain that come with it. Some years ago, I had experienced an annoying crawling sensation in my legs. Had the MRI, blood work and all the tests. Nothing was found. I was then diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome even though it sometimes happens when I am not at rest. My legs are not numb...I can feel everything. They are not weak and it is not painful. When I don't have something like a pant leg against them I hardly feel it. When I am walking around it is more like the sensation that my jeans or pants are too tight against my skin. It comes and goes but it is this CRAWLING feeling that starts at the top of my thighs and goes into my feet. Does anyone else have this?? I can't believe this is RLS because the sensation is so superficial and I don't have those intense feelings to walk it off. Plus...when I think about it, (which seems to be all the time) it gets worse!

I am under a great deal of stress at the moment. Four members of my family have died in the past three years and it seem like all I am doing is going to funerals, settling estates and grieving. I know all about anxiety....one symptom can snowball into more and more . Also would like to state that I have had to do alot of sitting lately..hours at a time at the computer and then off to grand jury service where we sit four hours at a time. This crawling seems to intensify when I am sitting or laying down, but goes away once I have fallen asleep . Oh...was also told it can't be a disc problem because it is bilateral.

I can't go for anymore MRI's, etc. We lost our health insurance when we moved back to NY from VA. The TMJ alone has cost us over $1000 this week alone.

Sorry this is so long...just wanted to get everything in!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 14th, 2007
Anxiety
Hi I have anxiety to. What are your symtoms. Are you on any kind of medication for restless leg syndrome. The doctor thought I had restless leg syndrome and put me on pills but they didnt work so he said I dont have it. I heard that resless leg syndrome is where you cant relax at night you have to keep your legs moving at night. You said you have fibromialgia what are your symtoms and how were your dianosed for it. Please get back to me so we can talk. DEER
|

replied October 14th, 2007
Crawling Legs
Deer, i have sent you two PM's.
|

replied October 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Nevre Endings
I agree, your syptoms did not sound like RLS to me either. Almost sounds like something to do with the nerve endings in your legs. You said a "Crawling Sensation" right? Does it feel something tingling in places? You have nerve ending all over your intire body. That is how we feel pain and other feelings like touch and heat etc. Those nerves send a message to the brain. You might want to ask your doctor if this could be a neurological problem. I have very sensitive nerves, especially in my arms and legs. Like little bugs crawling inside or on them.
Just an idea and opinion here. It really could be a few different things. I use to have RLS but somehow it don't happen much anymore with so many meds I am taking it is possible one of them has also fixed that problem.
Anyway, if this is really bothersome to you, ask your doc for a consult with a neurologist and see what he says.
Also, a lot of medications can have that effect on your nervess systom too. Like pain meds. I don't know what you are on, but you can't rule that out either. That could also be the cause.

Carrie
|

replied September 10th, 2013
Crawling sensations all over my body, heart pounding
I need help! So in October of this year I started feeling like bugs were crawling on me and its only gotten worse! It's September and I feel it every day! When I walk around it goes away but still says in my face and hair. I sometimes feel sharp pricks that hurt and I get dull aches in my head and bones. A new recent symptom is I feel my heart beat. I am just sitting and I feel it in my chest sometimes I feel it in my stomach or eyes or neck. I am worried and I have been pushing it aside for months now and now with this heart issue I think I have the right to be concerned! I just need advice and help! Please! Thank you!
|