Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Do People W/bpd Lie a Lot? (Page 1)

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is a trait for people w/ bipolar disorder to lie a lot? Can anyone speak from experience?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hotandsunny
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2007
Experienced User
My husband is bipolar & he's one of the most honest people I've ever met. I don't know that lying is a bipolar issue, per se.

BYD
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2007
Experienced User
thats a IF'y question. depends on the person. i dont have any major problems with lying and i have bpd. lying is just something someone does. i dont really think its LINKED to bpd. usually people lie to avoid conflict, embarassment, or they just feel like they need to impress someone. if its constant, saying its hurtful... you or someone else could probably coach them into telling the truth.
|

replied November 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
Bpd Is Shorthand For Borderline Personality Disorder...
Let's be clear here, people, ok? Often we will shorten Bipolar to BP I or BP II. But BPD is always Borderline Personality Disorder, which is on a different AXIS of diagnosis on the DSM IV which is used to diagnose mental disorders.

Meaning they are very different. And, coincidentally, BPD people DO have a reputation for lying, most bipolar people are jsut like everyone else--soem do, some don't.

Take care!!
|

replied November 19th, 2009
yes because your axis is much better than my axis..
sigh
|

Lying is a HUMAN thing to do..every human being has and will lie. From little things to whoppers...to making a lifestyle of it. Chronic lying that is harming to self and others is generally owing to a fear being vcarried by that person...so just ask the person to tell you the truth..make it safe for them TO do that with you...you never know you might open a door to a new life for them.
|

PS: and it, lying, has nothing to do with diagnosis..bp bpd ptsd "normal" - everyone lies...mostly..to themselves but there is no 'better or worse' diagnosis for lying...anyone telling you any different is just trying to uplift themselves at the expense of others...see 'my axis is better than your axis"
|

Experienced User
You can ask some people with major lying issues to tell the truth and they will not. That's a fact.

You can be open, forgiving, and sincere. You can tell them, "Hey, it's okay. I want you to be honest and say what you think." It doesn't matter. Some people with the major lying issues won't tell the truth regardless of how comfortable you try to make them feel.

By the way, the medical community recognizes that some people with BPD lie a lot. Some therapists are very uncomfortable treating those with the disorder because they can be highly manipulative and also deceptive about what is actually going on in their lives and thoughts.
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
I don't think that it is a "lie" in the usual sense of the word.

With my bi-polar ex it wasn't a lie (exactly)...he really believed the crap he would say!
Nothing could convince him he was wrong.

Combined with a stoke (loss of memory).. he was nasty and rude too.
He knew he had a faulty memory (I think) but was totally sure of totally untrue things.

I have heard that in a manic phase, even without a stoke, this is common.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Who's to say?

With someone who lies often, how can you ever tell what the source of it is?

Maybe instead of admitting the truth that he lied, he found it easier just following the lie with another: That what he says is true!
|

replied December 11th, 2009
During my depressed state, I lie and make up excuses constantly - almost to the point that I can't keep up with them.

To friends, I make up excuses as to why I can't meet for lunch, go out, etc.
To family, I make up excuses about why I didn't answer their phone calls or meet for family dinners.
To clients, I have used countless excuses to cancel appointments, avoid phone calls.

It's terrible. I'm sabotaging my career and personal life. I am very fortunate to have a family that supports and understands me. But when I constantly cancel business appointments, because I am stuck in bed and afraid to face the world, I am digging a deep hole.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's my two cents!
|

replied August 14th, 2010
i thought my girl was the most honest, nicest and trustworthy person I had ever met. The truth was she lied with every loving breath. Every time your intuition tells you something is wrong. Trust it. Don't say a word or push for them to admit it. They believe their own lies in a way. Hypersexuality and a need for attention are strong motivators. My girl told me she wanted to marry me(lie) she never cheated(big lie)but was dumping me to marrying someone else(lie) because she loves him(lie)and wants to live a clean life(lie) now she is on line in sexual chat room sites while I am struggling to figure out what just happened. I am bad guy for not supporting her and not being happy about it(lie) It's like a split personality and now your dealing with a juvinile who accepts no responsibility. Oh yeah and they are not going to have sex until the wedding (LIE)
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
I'm BP and I'd have to agree that lying may well be a trait of certain episodes. I can lie so well that I can make myself believe that the crappie things I have said and done to people never happened...really!!! Or more certainly that it was their fault to begin with. Couple that with a hideous amount of alcohol and I'm quite content until it inverts to the depressive state and then I'm in guilt hell. Brutal can't even describe what it's like to have BP. It's a bad one...really!!!On the upnote, I have been diagnosed and starting treatment. I am excited to experience a stable world for once as I can't remember not being 'all over the place'.
|

replied September 10th, 2010
Experienced User
I agree with the statement along the lines of "lying and believing it was the others fault". This happened to me on a regular basis. I was always the "bad" person....an excuse to derail the truth and focus on me in an attempt to hide the truth and make me out to be the worst person on the face of the planet. I lived it and witnessed it firsthand. I feel for anyone that has to endure this mess......thank god I got that nightmare out of my life for good.
|

replied September 11th, 2010
I have bpd and I lie all the time. Depends on what personality quirks the person has, but it'!**@! or miss.
|

replied January 11th, 2011
Do Bipolar people steal?
Anyone have anything to say whether or not these people can steal and make it sound like they don't know what you're talking about? Just curious. Thanks
|

replied January 14th, 2011
Experienced User
My boyfriend lies a lot, small and unecessary lies, big lies, lies to himself about his obvious feelings for me, saying that what he said about missing me and wanting me was nothing, he forgets things he said, he forgets what he felt yesterday and I never know where Im with him.
|

replied January 17th, 2011
Experienced User
Same here....the person I was involved with lied on a regular basis. It seems to go hand and hand with the disorder from what I have researched/observed. The funny thing....I knew she was lying when she did it. She really thought she was cunning and sneaky however it was just the opposite. For some who has this illness.....they truly live in their own world/reality.

Chris
|

replied May 7th, 2011
I think we all lie or have lied at somepoint but people for example who lie alot as they sheme manipulate may not have mental illness but its part of their personality. There are those who have mental problems and not bad and some at all and others who are just straight out so called "evil". For example ruthless businessmen fall into the so called evil category.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
Bipolars DO lie
I have known 3 bipolar people within my lifetime, all 3 very close to me. 2 best friends and my ex-husband and all 3 LIED pretty constantly. It IS a characteristic of the disorder although I agree with others above that a lot of people do lie, bipolar or not. But these 3 people couldn't hardly ever be depended on to tell the truth. I felt it was because they felt others judged them for their disorder and they were trying to manipulate their world to get what they wanted. Most of the time they lied about where they were or who they were with. But sometimes they lied to get attention from others. If you ignored their lies, the lies got bigger and bigger until they were hard to ignore. If you listened to and believed their lies, they manipulated you until they got their way. Bipolar is a very serious disorder and a hard one to deal with if you are part of the life of someone who had it.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply