Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Swelling Or Hardness On Incision After Hip Surgery

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi, I'm new here, 67 yrs. old but very active. This is a great place. I had a complete hip replacement 11 yrs. ago and did really good, until recently xrays showed the ball was not centered in the socket anymore and the surgeon said a revision was in order. I wasn't happy about it, but he said it must be done. So, just 2 weeks ago, I had the hip revision. My main problem right now is the incision area. At the very top of the incision there is a lot of swelling and hardness and it hurts like h***. Hurts when I walk and when I sit.

My Doctor (not surgeon) said it's fluid and should go away soon, but it seems to be getting worse. Is this normal? I don't remember having a problem 11 yrs ago with the original surgery. Anyone with this surgery have this same problem? Should I go back to the surgeon (probably)... Thanks for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
If you're medically insured ... go!

When can you make an appointment?
|

replied June 9th, 2013
SWELLING AT INCISION
you may have to have some fluid drained. I had it drained twice as body would not absorb it, Eat pineapple or drink pineapple juice as it will help absorb fluid and take celebrx for 2-3 weeks. Get samples from your doc. Don't worry, it will get better. Probably not an infection, very unlikely. ICE HEAT ICE HEAT ALSO.
|