Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Headache After Every Round of Golf - Please Help. (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I get headache after I play a round of golf. I understand the heat may be a factor and I've done plenty precautions attempting to prevent they all failed. I've done the followings:

1. Drink a lot of water.
2. Wear a hat, a visor, a hat with breathing holes to cool my head.
3. Take 2 Advils starting on the 10th hole.
4. Stay in shades as much as possible.
5. Ride more than walking.

I don't know what else to try, please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Does this occur after any other physical activity? (mowing the lawn, walking, sex, ect). Have you ever been tested for allergies?

Can you describe the headache? dull, sharp, top of head, stuff like that...
|

replied April 9th, 2011
I have the same problem, I need to ingest salt on the course to avoid this, losing too many fluids raises body temperature, leading to a splitting sun headache. I decided to purchase transition glasses to help me. It's like the sun beats through your eyes cooking your brain. Also I need to wear a visor so heat can escape through the top. But salt is the key. Gatoraid just won't do it, so a pinch of sea salt and a Gatoraid seems to work for me, it's probably not the healthiest thing I can do but I don't need the headaches when I'm trying to break par.
|

It's more like a tension headache and I don't experience it after other physical activities.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It could actually be a tension headache. It could be from the muscles that you are using to swing the club. They may cramp up or be sore from use, and cause a headache. How often do you golf?
|

Once a month.
|

replied October 14th, 2007
a Few Questions....
Out of curiosity,what time of day do you golf? I don't know much about golf.But I would imagine you're out there quite awhile.If you golf in the afternoon,you may want to try to go earlier,when it's not as hot or as bright out.
Over the counter meds are known to cause rebound headaches if taken too often.Have you talked to your dr?
How long has this been going on?Did it start recently?If you do notice it happening other times,you may want to start keeping a pain diary.If this hasn't gone on that long,maybe it'll pass.If not or you find it happening other times,the diary can help track other triggers.And you may want to ask a dr.
I can tell you,light,sun is a trigger for me.I wear sunglasses in the grocery store and a hat.It doesn't always stop pain from coming.But I do it anyway.
Good luck
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2007
Supporter
I Agree
I totally agree with audreyann........try going early in the morning , there are people here at the golf course as early as 7:00am............your headaches could be stressed related, although we don't think of our selves as stressed.........a game of golf is strategic enough! FOUR>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>
|

replied March 17th, 2009
You should experiment these.

1) go to driving range and hit ~100 balls in 5 hr duration(normal time for 1 round golf).

2) go to hiking near the golf course or in similar condition and walk ~5 hr.

If you don't experience headache, it's VERY LIKELY that your headache is due to sensitivity to certain CHEMICALS(eg PESTICIDE) used in golf course.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Headache after golf
I have the same problem. After trying the same million things that you did, I found that it is indeed my neck and shoulders tightening up from the act of hitting the ball. Take time between every hole and keep your neck stretched out by trying to touch your ear to your shoulder, chin to your chest etc. What a relief when I finally figured it out, cause I play 3X per week!
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2009
Hi. I am a professional equestrian and I was getting headaches all the time at competitions. I wore a hat and drank water but nothing helped. I bought sport sunglasses, maui jim I think and they are light, and what do you know... no more headaches. I got the headaches from the sun's reflection off the ground I think....
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Headaches after golf - but not sun or heat related
My husband works outdoors in the s. FL heat daily and does not get headaches then. He wears hat, light colored clothing, drinks a lot of water and of course, no alcohol.

When he plays golf, he had been coming home with a headache consistently from about last October, and then two months ago - no headache after golf. Nothing changed. Again, he's used to sun, heat, etc. He doesn't' drink while he plays golf. Well, today, October 26, 2009, he comes in from his weekly game with a headache again.

I can't figure it out - I'm thinking that it's something they're using on the course that he is allergic to. It would make sense here, because summer is dead, there is no money and I'm sure since it's rainy season in the summer, they let a lot of the 'maintenance' go. Now? The Snowbirds are starting to trickle down and the 'season' rates are starting next week, and suddenly, he has a headache again.

Anyone out there who has a clue what they might be using that would trigger these headaches? He's going to try to get an answer, but I'm betting he won't get one from the people at the golf club.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
By the way, the temps are far more moderate right now than they were in the past two months or so...so heat shouldn't be a factor.
|

replied May 16th, 2010
headaches after golf
Guys I have tried all you mentioned hereto keep my after golf headaches away. Someone mentioned It could be caffeine withdrawal since you don�t have as much coffee as in the office. I started to bring this large cup of coffee to the golf course. Headache is still there.
I got a prescription for Triptan in a attempt to control my migraines. Now ,I never thought about tension headaches� I think I will try stretching every second hole and see how it goes. Sunglasses are already helping.
By the way I use to drink tons of power drinks, I read that they might content MSG that is well known as a trigger for migraine attacks
|

replied June 14th, 2010
golf headache
I get headaches from golfing also. Its very depressing. I wear a hat, sunglasses, drink plenty of water, etc. etc to no avail. Will try the tension alleviation techniques but I usually don't experience that much tension. I suck at golf and accept it. I don't get mad any more when playing. It seems so cruel that something so enjoyable can cause so much misery.....
|

replied July 4th, 2010
Headache
I also get headaches after golfing. I have degenerative disc in my neck and I believe the golf swing aggrevates the neck muscles and tendons. This can create a vicious cycle of pulling on the vertebras in my neck which causes increased pressure on the nerves which causes the muscles to contract. This can also cause tension around the sinus area and mimic a sinus pressure headache.
|

replied July 7th, 2010
Hi Guys, I am sitting here reading this with the headache I got after golf yesterday. I am in England and it was mid 70's on the course yesterday. They were spraying something on the fairways yesterday and I think this could well be the reason. I get headaches if I have too much chocolate and coffee and if I drink low cal drinks due to the sweatener. I never eat chocolate these days, drink decaff coffee and don't touch the low call drinks so withdrawl symptoms are not my cause. I have virtually rid my life of headaches by doing this, but not when I play golf. I wear a hat, drink plenty and yesterday had a buggy. I will check back to see if anyone gets the answer. At the moment I thinks it's either chemicals or tension. By the way my golf headache lasts two or three days. How about you?
|

replied February 5th, 2011
I have had the same problem - after every round. I also drank (what I thought to be) lots of water, wore a hat, sun-screen and sunglasses. Today I trialled an increase in my intake of fluids. I drank 1.5L of water before the game, 3 X 750ml sports drinks and 1.5L of water during the game.

Bingo - no headache, and it was 40 degrees today. A couple more toilet stops, but definitely worth it.
|

replied March 14th, 2011
Golf tension headache
Reviewing these comments I know mine are tension headaches created by tense muscles on the left side of my neck. I was seeming remedies. Hydration will affect susceptibility to muscle tension, so it is a factor. Chemicals and allergies of course can be causes but they are muscle related in my case. It should be easy to tell if it is muscle tension. Probe both sides of you neck in a kind of self-massage and see if you can locate the tightness or knots, sometime leading all the way up to your head. But, it can begin down into the center of the back. I got relief through a professional massage. I just don't know how to keep it from recurring.
|

replied March 18th, 2011
Head Aches After Playing Golf
Hi Everyone,
I have throughly enjoyed reading everyones experiences, it is ironic that we go out to have a fantastic time only to come back with terrible head aches afterwards. I payed yesterday on course in England, and it wasn't hot or sunny, I had a bad head ache afterwards, I played the same courses several times before and ocassionally I had head aches. I play different courses, and some day I have really bad headcahes afterwards, and some days I don't. ONLY yesterday I noticed that they had freshely cut the grass and tidied up the course, very likely it was sprayed as well. I never though of it before, so, I will keep an eye out for the correlation between freshly cut grass and head aches.
|

replied May 25th, 2011
Golf headache
Do yourself a favor. Look up "Cervicogenic headache". Dr Kim Spencer-Rossi in Canada.
|
12 >>
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply