Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

Numeric Dyslexia (Page 1)

Hi All,
Yes, I have Numeric Dyslexia. Have had for serveral years now. I am an older lady and never really seemed to have any problems in school. My most problem is with phone numbers. I will always get the last four digits at least two number out of wack. Good thing I have free unlimited phone service for U.S and Canada. Not fun having to call the person back and haave them repeat the phone number back to you again. I tell them I am dyslexic. I feel I have nothing to be shy about. Look how many of us suffer from it.
Life goes on.

Carrie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yes life does go on---is there anything that you can do for it?
|

replied November 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Nope fraid not. Actually today, I was looking right at a business card from the place I by my electrodes for my TENS unit, and even looking straight it at, still dialed the last frour digits with two in the wrong order. It was 1731 and I dialed 7131! Nothig you can do about it except take a seperate piece of paper and mark it down. I personally thing it is the other text or numbers around it that get my mind in a finzie. I have to be able to focus on just that one number. But, again I have done that too and still dialed it wrong. Dang!
|

replied November 29th, 2007
Re: Numeric Dyslexia
MsCarrie wrote:
Hi All,
Yes, I have Numeric Dyslexia. Have had for serveral years now. I am an older lady and never really seemed to have any problems in school. My most problem is with phone numbers. I will always get the last four digits at least two number out of wack. Good thing I have free unlimited phone service for U.S and Canada. Not fun having to call the person back and haave them repeat the phone number back to you again. I tell them I am dyslexic. I feel I have nothing to be shy about. Look how many of us suffer from it.
Life goes on.

Carrie

Normally dyslexia would be the way the brain is rather than an acquired condition. Perhaps you discovered the condition?
|

replied November 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Sprry, In my other post I said I dailed 7131. I dialed 7313. Wish I had dialed it right. Getting so that I have to dial *67 before every number. Before some nut calls me back wondering if I am playine games or someting.
|

replied January 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Interesting Topic
I have this problem also. When I am paying bills or doing my checkbook I check my numbers at least 4 or 5 times and then I still question myself.
Thank god I never went into accounting..LOL.

Is there anything that can help with this?
|

replied January 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Unfortunatly, I have not found anything to make things better. It is my numerical memory funtion. If anything it has goton worse. I can be looking right at the phone number on a card next to me and still dial it wrong at least twice. Seems always the last four digits get screwed up in my head after I take my eyes off the number. If there is part of the brain that is responsible for numeric memory it might have had some damage when I had my stroke (brain beed) back in 2003. That's about all I can think of. Yet my neuro told my last visit that he could see a change for the worse (slight) since my last visit. I have noticed it too with just normal things arould the house.
|

replied January 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi MsCarrie

I am very sorry to hear you had a stroke. I know how terrible they can affect a person. My step dad gets TIA's.

I have a phone that stores telephone numbers in it which makes this part of the numerical problem easier but the numbers that are not in the phone is another story. I call the wrong numbers also.

I worry about the checkbook screwing that up is a big no no Sad
|

replied March 12th, 2008
numeric dyslexia
Hallo...I am a new member, & found my way in by Googling "numeric dyslexia" - and I thought I'd invented the term - it's a great relief to me to know that there are others out there - not that I would wish this on anyone!
Actually, although I have confused numbers all my life, apart from my school years, it hasn't really caused me any problems, but rather, has been the source of amusement and regarded as one of my eccentricities!
(Asked the price of 2 items at a boot sale, I replied "£2.00 each or the pair for £5". I didn't know why my friends were laughing and the customer looked bemused!)
I sometimes study prices in the supermarket, & occasionally the special offers are the wrong way round. And I KNOW they are, but I don't trust myself to say anything!
The only major inhibition for me was that I wanted to be a vet, but of course science was a no-no, so I compensated by messing about in maths until I won the day and got chucked out, which freed me up to follow my artistic traits and invest my life in animal welfare, which has been hugely satisfying.
As a little kid, I learned parrot fashion the times tables from a set of cards that my mum had typed out for me (bless her!) and that I was rigorously tested on until I'd got it - so I could always manage simple sums if I ran through the right set - but trigonometry, compound interest (numbers making an interesting pattern in a pyramid shape!) - pouff - who needs it?

I don't generally get phone numbers the wrong way round like Carrie, but the way they LOOK doesn't make any sense - like 3 is a bigger number than 7, maybe because it's fatter ....
Does anyone else have a problem with decimals? I'm completely stuffed in that area - picture me at the vets, asking if "point 04 is four of those little marks on the side of the syringe?"
At the moment, I'm trying to draw plans for a simple conservatory. The local planning dept requires them drawn to a scale of some incomprehensible bunch of 0's and .'s.And then just when you've figured that a metre is about 39", they start in with millimetres......
But I don't want to give in. "No such thing as can't".....
Well, that's my introduction folks, and a great relief for me to have said all that, thankyou for reading it!
I've always KNOWN I wasn't stupid.....
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and welcome to the site:)

No you are not stupid..none of us are. This is something no one really talks about. For the longest time I thought it was only me also. I go over and over the checkbook to make sure I'm doing that correctly. In school I was pretty good but as the math became harder I became less interested because I didn't understand the decimals, fractions, etc...people laughed at me too. But for every weakness in one area we have a strength in another area.
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Yet sometimes...that strength is over-shadowed by a silly brain that doesn't want to work properly...I wish there was a fool proof way for them to judge the balance of brain-chemistry and administer just the right medication...not medication that swings you all the way to the other side or just make you even more confused...
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I know, I get so frustrated after the third time going to the phone bood or writing down a phone number and then having to call the original person who gave it to me back due to the fact I have written it down numerically backwards or whatever.
Grrrrrrrrr.................

Carrie
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It just happened to me. I had to make a phone call and the person who gave me the number was very kind in repeating it 3 times because I wrote down the last 4 numbers wrong..typical of me!!!
|

replied March 13th, 2008
numeric dyslexia
Wow! Thanks everyone!
|

replied March 31st, 2008
numeric dyslexia
I got it too. googled numeric dyslexia and found this site. strange how common it really is. i get numbers mixed up in the wrong order and can type numbers very carefully into a calculator and still get a random strange answer no-one can explain. sometimes dont notice numbers are backwards and even write them backwards without realizing. no problems with letters or writing or reading, no dyslexia. always just thought i was wierd and crap at maths. now i got an excuse! lol
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2008
Experienced User
Dyscalculia
Is Numeric Dyslexia the same as Dyscalculia?
I was diagnosed with severe dyscalculia just over a year ago.
Dyscalculia is on the dylexic spectrum.
|

replied May 26th, 2008
Help Is Out There!
Other posters on this topic have suggested meds for dyslexia, and I have to disagree! The mechanism in the brain that causes dyslexia of all types and severity can only be made worse by drugs. I have been working with dyslexic people for several years. My fiance' has a mild form of numeric dyslexia, she finds it particularly useful to make NOTES, rather than relying on her memory. When she dials a phone number, she has to check and re-check the number to avoid mixing the numbers up! When a person is relating a number to her that she needs to write down, she will always ask that person to repeat the number. It's just something that really takes time and patience. My best wishes to all you sufferers. I do understand!
David Pilinski, tutor for Dyslexia students
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
I sometimes study prices in the supermarket, & occasionally the special offers are the wrong way round. And I KNOW they are, but I don't trust myself to say anything.
|

replied July 26th, 2008
In the brain, above the left ear, the Broca's and Wernicke's areas are involved in the processing of language. These two areas are bridged by a lump of tissue called the insula.
The insula, by connecting both these two processing areas, enable people to automatically understand the written word.
For people with dyslexia, the insula is dysfunctional, so instead of knowing automatically what a written word sounds like, they have to think about each word they see and consciously translate it from the written form to the sound it makes.
Dyslexics get round the problem by using other pathways in the brain to process the written word.
However under stress, there are delays in processing.
|

replied August 21st, 2008
Number transpondence
I work in sales, and today was the FOURTH time I have had to stay late to fix the cash drawer because I have entered data incorrectly. Today I overcharged a customer $182 and had to call to get his credit card number to repair the situation. When entering the number he gave me, I had to start over twice.
The thing that disappoints me the most is that I make a conscience effort every time I enter numbers and I still get it wrong. It's very frustrating. I found the fact about dyscalculia interesting that you are good at geometry and bad at algebra. I had to take Alg 1 twice in high school and then failed my Alg 2 class, but got A's and B's in geometry class.
After seeing that there is actually a named disorder that I feel I suffer from, I am going to get into the doctor and see what they think....
|
12 >>
Quick Reply