Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am about to head off to college but I am extremely nervous because I have suffered from anxiety my whole life. When ever I get in unfamiliar situations such as school, or appointments I get very nervous and get this feeling and my stomach starts to hurt and then I get diarrhea. I hate it so much because it hinders me from doing so many things even hanging out with friends. Most of the time I feel like I'm so weird for acting like this and that I'm the only one in the world with this problem. I am so embarrassed by this and only my family knows I suffer from this. I want to know if there are other people out there who can still live normal lives while living with this? I often wonder this because I think if one day I get married my husband will have to see this...which is another fear and just thinking about that will cause me to have anxiety attacks. I would just like to hear other peoples stories about how they manage this problem and still have a life.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I Will Join You
When I was a child just in grammer school, I use to get a really bad stomach ache before school (I was always picked on and not part of the peer group) and every time I would have to sit on the toilet for sometimes what seemed like hours. Later on in life as it never went away, I went and had a colonoscopy which was then diagnosed as spastic colon. All due to stress and anxiety. I too have suffered from aniety all my life. As I got older the diagnosis of spastic colon went into colitis which I still have. There are medications out there, but I choose not to take them because of the high narcotic effect it has on you. It has belladona and phenobarbital in it. Called "Donnatol". Been on that many times and can be very addicting. So I opted not to take it anymore. The only thing I don't like about having this, is alot of times it comes without warning and I can't go out anywhere for fear of a blow out. In fact, it just happened last week and had it for two days straight.
So, you are not alone at all. It has everything to do with Stress and Anxiety. Unless. you dig deeper and doctor finds something else is an issue.

Good luck and I know you will do just fine.
|

replied October 12th, 2007
Thanks
Sad to hear you have to suffer from this also. My mom took me to the doctor when I was little because she thought there was something wrong with me but the doctor told her that is was probably happening because I was just nervous. It has got considerably better as I've got older but I worry it will cause problems in the long run from this cycle that I go through on what seems a weekly basis.
|