Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Black Tongue

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
My son who Robert is 32 yrs old called me yeaterday and told me he woke up with a black tongue. He did not eat anything the day before that would have stained his tongue! He does smoke. Also, about 2 weeks ago he had a lot of blood in his stool. Please help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 17th, 2007
I'm no doctor, but blood in the stool sounds serious. Tell him to go to the doctor!
|

replied October 29th, 2007
There is a condition called Black Furry Tongue, it's where a fungus grows on your tongue overnight, all you have to do is brush your tongue well.

I used to get it in High School, I'd wake up with an old cheese taste in my mouth and kind of gagging, it just happens when the conditions are right in your mouth for that fungus to grow.

It's completely harmless.
|

replied November 13th, 2010
Also Pepto Bismol is known to cause a black tongue and/or black stools

I found a number of websites that discussed in detail how Pepto-Bismol can turn a person's tongue black. Apparently, an active ingredient in the medication reacts with sulfur to create the black substance. Something I ate last night had sulfate in it, so the reaction happened in my mouth while I was sleeping."
|
Quick Reply