Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Rib Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi,
I'm an 18 year old female.
For longer than I can remember, every once in a while I get a VERY sharp pain in my upper right ribs (under my breast) that feels like my ribs are caught onto something and pulling it. Breathing hurts a LOT when this happens, so I either hold my breath until the pain passes (sometimes around 10 seconds, but it can last up to a minute or more) but if it doesn't go away, I either have to take many painful short breaths or one large VERY VERY painful breath that makes the pain go away right after. In taking the deep breath, it feels like something kind of "pops". It used to be maybe once a month, but lately it has become more frequent (every other day... sometimes every day). When it happens, while it might be short, it completely stops me from doing anything, the pain is so severe and sharp.
I'd like some advice on what this might be, and how I might be able to treat it. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2007
Supporter
Seems like you injured a chest muscle. It usually heals by itself, but since you had it "as long as you can remember" I suggest talking to a doctor who mught do a scan
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2007
Me Too
Sometimes I get the feeling. It happens very often and when it does i have to either take a short small breath and let the pain stay or take a large breath and that hurts a lot. If feels as if something pops or is getting caught in between my ribs.
|

replied February 18th, 2009
here's your answer
funny how no one, especially doctors, know what this is? not sure if anyone is reading this post. I finally found out what this is as I get it all the time.
It's PCS - precordial catch syndrome.
|

replied June 10th, 2010
can anyone explain?
Mine is similar:
I feel my left lung get caught in my ribs and i get a very sharp pain. With every breath the pain get more painful until i take a large breath, and another..taking in as much air in as possibly can, causing severe pain, but i've learnt this helps as small breaths hurt very much.. so taking in as much air as i can pops my lung out of my ribs and the pain stops.. then breathing is back normal with no pain.

I've heard about someone else having the same exact situation as me and he went doctors and was told a condition but i didnt understand.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and what i can do to stop it happening..
|

replied June 10th, 2010
Hi,
as a couple of posts above, it's called PCS or Precordial Catch Syndrome. Best bet is to do a search on it, there's a lot of info. Mostly it's nothing to worry about, they don't really know what causes it. Can't really do anything to stop it long term, however as you mention above the short term solution is to breath in deeply and let it 'pop'. Usually a bit painful? (disclaimer - don't get this pain confused with any heart pain??)
|
Quick Reply