Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Hands Going Numb

hi, i'm having a really concerning problem with my hands, periodically when i'm sleeping my hands go numb, from the wrist down usually, either one or the other or sometimes both, now i havn't had any head trauma or serious falls... so let me explain, when i think about it... the symptoms started as such,. i'm a serious computer gamer, and i have never had any problems while playing games or sitting at the computer, i'm 24 and within the last maybe 5 months i have noticed that when i'm watching tv in a position where my head was braced against my arm/hand in an upright position, or even my hands were by themselves in an upright position for a period of about 15 minutes or more they would go numb, i thought of this as poor blood circulation and thought nothing of it, however more recently when i would keep them crossed they would go numb, again thinking poor circulation, once uncrossed they would come out of the pins/needles stage... now recently when i'm sleeping i get woken up by either one or both being numb, and i have to shake them or move them around to get some feeling back into them, i would also like to say that i have recently had a pilonidal cyst at the base of my back, but it had never got infected until about 1 month ago... and the problems with my hands have taken a sever turn in the last 3 weeks, not sure if one is related to the other... for more information, i do install hardwood flooring which is physically demanding on the hands and wrists, although i have been doing sanding and installations for the last 8 years, and no problems, pretty sure its not related to hard work... however i have used a hilti gun, (cement nailer) within the last 2 weeks which i believe may have caused some nerves to get pinched in both wrists as i was switching hands during the work.. i'm not exactly sure this is the cause but may have lead to an increase in the problem... i have read that it may be carpal tunnel, but i''m pretty sure its based along the joints of the hand and within the fingers, but my situation is such that sometimes i feel a pressure of squeezing around the forearms,, even as i type this post i'm feeling the sensation, i'd like to add that i was a delivery driver for about 1 and a half years from todays date, and have never had problems, but as i drove within the last week even in a position that would seem natural my hands would go numb, i'm not sure what this is from... lack of vitamins? i can't see this as a genetic disease, i have a twin brother(identical) he has also had a pilonidal cyst(sergicaly removed) but no problems with his hands... cant figure it out, its troubling to me... hope someone has some advice or guidance where i can look for some answers... thanks... ps i have noticed that the numbness gets really bad when i'm about to sleep or even dozing off in a car, either laying down or sitting up, doesn't change the fact that they go numb, i have tried lifting pillows high up, and not sleeping on any, the problem is from the elbow down.. .and severely from the wrist to fingers... i'm not sure what to do about this... every reply seems to point to a pinched nerve, but the pain should be constant, however when i'm working with my hands i have no problems at all.. just when i'm resting... i can't figure this out...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Have you experienced shooting pains down the forearm to the wrist after strenuous use?
Is numbness more located over the back of the wrist?
Numbness means that you get unpleasant or painful feelings even when there is nothing touching you, and no stimulus. You can experience painful pins and needles, or electric shock like sensations and this is called paraesthesia. Numbness means loss of sensation whereas paralysis usually involves both the loss of the ability to move the area and loss of sensations.
Do you find difficulty extending the arm at the elbow?
Do you find difficulty extending the wrist?
Numbness usually is caused by damage or disease of nerves.
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2007
i have the same problem as you but i found out that i waz sleeping on my hands an stoping the blood the way i known is by putting a camera up it sounds stupid but it waz really bothering me and that waz it but if you find it is not that then i would go an see a doctor about

GOOD LUCK
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Experienced User
You may have carpul tunnel (sp?)

I have that and my hands typically go numb easily.
|

replied December 19th, 2009
I have a very simalr issue. my hands will go numb while sleeping and sometimes while driving. I work in construction and also am an avid gamer (consoles mainley though). But i do not get the pins and needles feeling when the feeling comes back into my hands. Which makes me think it may be a ner ve issue and not circulation. I have noticed that when I wake up my elbows are usually bent or my arm is under my head. But i have slept that way for my whole life and this wasn't an issue up until about a year ago. BTW I am 27.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
dont understand
I have same problem my left hand will even go numb while I'm exercising when the blood should be circulating the most,dont understand my issue.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
Numb cure
This is most likely caused by pushing off with you hands when you try to get up. Go to a reputable chiropractor. They will be able to move your wrist so that everything snaps back into place. You'll be numb free as long as you stop putting your weight on your hands. See nfldoc.com if you're in the Boston area.
|

replied June 10th, 2013
Need help fast!!
My problem is when i get up from a nights sleep,or sometimes awakened by pain!!the pain is in upper arm,somtimes both,but on the inside of upper arm,next to body and feels like a blood pressure test,but alot more pressure than what a blood pressure test would be!!enough pain that it wakes me up from a sound sleep!and most of my arms and hands are numb(not pins and needles)and no pins and needles feeling ever!I have to shake them around quit a while before feeling comes back and even when it does,for a few hours if in raise them even a little or hold or put them a certain way,they'll start to go numb again,but without pain in upper arms!!Anyone have these type symtoms???Would love to hear what i may be able to do to help,as i just got a new job and cannot take time off,cause it's a really well paying job!not back breaking work,but work hard!!would like to hear comments PLEASE!! GLENN
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied June 10th, 2013
Need help fast!!
My problem is when i get up from a nights sleep,or sometimes awakened by pain!!the pain is in upper arm,somtimes both,but on the inside of upper arm,next to body and feels like a blood pressure test,but alot more pressure than what a blood pressure test would be!!enough pain that it wakes me up from a sound sleep!and most of my arms and hands are numb(not pins and needles)and no pins and needles feeling ever!I have to shake them around quit a while before feeling comes back and even when it does,for a few hours if in raise them even a little or hold or put them a certain way,they'll start to go numb again,but without pain in upper arms!!Anyone have these type symtoms???Would love to hear what i may be able to do to help,as i just got a new job and cannot take time off,cause it's a really well paying job!not back breaking work,but work hard!!would like to hear comments PLEASE!! GLENN
|