Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

What are typical doctor treatment procedures for stress ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi there.

I hope you dont mind but i would rather keep my personal details private for several reasons!

Im a male aged between 19-24 and lately i have been coming to terms that i am stressed. I would say now that i look back i have been stressed since some time in 2004. Headaches have been in my life from a young age, first diagnosis was from my doctor in 1994, i have had nearly every test possible to find the rooted problem, from blood, to sinus. lately in the past 2 years i have been experiences unbearable migraines, maybe 2 every 3 months or so, when i get these i cannot move and i am violently sick and dizzy, i even lose my footing and at the age i am this really worries me. Anyway, i have an ordinary life, nice girlfriend and steady money with a full time job. Problem is i worry like no ones business, i cant relax or even crack a smile sometimes for the worry of work and pressures from outside that really should not be getting the better of me, i sometimes even wake up in the morning shaking for a reason i cant explain, but the worry is constantly there.Every situation i am faced with i put too much thought into and convince myself that the world is coming down on me. I have a rash on my arm that has just appeared and friends tell me it could be stress related.Its that bad that every time the phone rings i expect it to be trouble.I have looked up lots of reat info sites on the net and i can honestly say my symptons match 18 of the 20 symptons online. Lately i took a big step and booked an appointment with my doctor to see what he says, because a lot of the stress is work worries i expect he may sign me off work for a bit, this also worries me as i have a very responsible job and no one else can move into my shoes whilst i get my self back to normal,and this will probably result in the old 'theres nothing worng with him' in the workplace. PLEASE can anyone help as regards to doctor procedures for stress.

thank you very much for taking your time to read this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2007
Experienced User
You need to try cognitive behavioral therapy aka cbt. It has changed my life dramatically more than I ever thought anything could. I highly recommend cbt for panic, anxiety and depression. If you work at the exercises like the tea form you can retrain your brain to think more objectively and like me you can go from being a worrier to a warrior. If you don't want to see a therapist pick up a copy of the book Been there, done that? Do This! By sam obitz and start doing the tea form exercise in it. We used this book in my cbt group. Take care and know you can get better if you learn to think more objectively and learn to live in the present and stop fearing the future through the cbt exercises. The more you work on the exercises the more relief you get. Good luck!
|

thanks very much. I looked into CBT and came across pages on anxiety, i can really really relate to the info povided and think CBT may be the way forward, the example it gave on a CBT task was very relevant to my feelings and im sure this is what ie been looking for to get into a better way of thinking and how i can change how i perceive other peoples actions that against me that i usually take personally.I have an appointment with the doctor and will be sure to get to the bottom of this constant worrying.Again, i couldnt thank you enough. Very Happy
|

Extremely eHealthy
I Totally Agree
I agree 100% with JohnR here. Get the book and read it. You will get alot of good information on dealing with this. Of course if it really seems to be getting out of control for you where you can't go one day without having something on your mind to bog you down. Then it's time for counseling.
|

replied October 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
derry21 wrote:
thanks very much. I looked into CBT and came across pages on anxiety, i can really really relate to the info povided and think CBT may be the way forward, the example it gave on a CBT task was very relevant to my feelings and im sure this is what ie been looking for to get into a better way of thinking and how i can change how i perceive other peoples actions that against me that i usually take personally.I have an appointment with the doctor and will be sure to get to the bottom of this constant worrying.Again, i couldnt thank you enough. Very Happy

My pleasure Derry, Please come back and give us an update on how you are doing?
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
CBT really is great. You can try to find a psychologist who practices it (it is often covered by insurance) or there are lots of books/tapes to lead you through it. And you can always come here for support too!!

Good to have you.
|