Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

How Do I Know My Birth Control Is Working?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I hate condoms!! lol no they arent that bad but i dont want to have to use them but i want to know if there is anyway to test whether or not your pills are actually working? I am only seventeen and i dont want children yet... I told my bf before we started having sex that we would use both or no sex but i really dont like them...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Statistically your birth control pills ARE working and are 99% effective in preventing pregnancy if taken correctly.

There is no way to test the pills to make sure you aren't one of the 1%.
|

User Profile
Supporter
How do you know your birth control pills are working? Is that the question? The answer is simple. If you aren't pregnant, they are working Very Happy
|

User Profile
Experienced User
------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

How do you know your birth control pills are working? Is that the question? The answer is simple. If you aren't pregnant, they are working

lol too bad it couldnt be that easy...
|

User Profile
Supporter
Why not? It's that easy for me. I know my IUD works because I'm not pregnant. IF I even had the notion I *could* be pregnant, I would go get a test and see. I wouldn't ask other people if I was.
I'm not talking about you on that one, I'm talking about people on here in general.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
no i know that but I am only 17 and while gettinh pregnant wouldnt be the end of the world i still dont want it to happen... I cant risk not using the condoms if i do not know if the pills are actually working for me so i was just wondering if there was a test or some thing... i guess i will have to learn to love the latex eh?
|

User Profile
Supporter
sillysallie1990 wrote:
no i know that but I am only 17 and while gettinh pregnant wouldnt be the end of the world i still dont want it to happen... I cant risk not using the condoms if i do not know if the pills are actually working for me so i was just wondering if there was a test or some thing... i guess i will have to learn to love the latex eh?

Not necessarily. If you take the pills at the same time, every day-without missing any, you should be fine. If you miss a day, use condoms for a week or so until you get back on track.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Right- if you are taking them at the same time every day, chances are about 99% that they're working. There's no test or anything, you just have to trust it! If 99% isn't good enough for you, go ahead and use condoms. There's nothing wrong with that. It is a good idea to keep condoms and/or plan b around in case you miss a pill or two or throw up or get on antibiotics or something.
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2009
I've been on birth control for about 1 1/2 months, and i had sex with my boyfriend without a condom.
Im only 16, and i am scared too, im not ready to have a baby.
I wasn't sure if my birth control was working, but like people said..its 99% effective, and I'm just going to have to trust it. Smile
And...since i take it the same time everyday, i think I'm fine. So, advice, JUST TRUST YOUR PILL. If you take it within the hour your supposed to, then its okay.

i hope i helped! Smile
|

replied December 25th, 2009
Birth Control
I have been on the pill for a few months now, and thought there is no way they would work because i kept messing up the time every day...but an easy way to know if it's working (if it's the 21 day pill, with the 7 day break) as when you have your 'fake period', it should be different to what it usually is, with no stomach cramps, i noticed that i was much lighter for 4 out of the 5 days, and had no stomach pains during the time where the pain would usually be unbearable.

Hope this helped Smile x
|

replied January 13th, 2010
Another suggestion would be, if you're not ready to have a baby you may not be ready for sex.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
I completely agree. if you're worried about it now working and you're not ready to have a baby right now then you don't need to have sex. there are plenty of other ways to enjoy your partner without vaginal intercourse. you can pleasure him and he you without it saving the nagging, worried feeling of pregnancy. enjoy your youth while you still can because once you have a baby your "youth fun" completely goes down the drain. trust me, my son is 2 this july. hope this helps. but think of it even if you won't consider it, try to.
|