Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Breastfeeding Diet Advice

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
Hi everyone. Long time no post. I am keeping pretty busy with baby these days. I have a question about breastfeeding and diaper rash. Eadie is only 2 months old now and she has this rash around her bum that won't go away. It's only right around her bum and nowhere else. The doctor says it's from something in my diet that is causing my breastmilk and her stools to be too acidic. I don't know what it could be. I haven't been eating any of the stuff she mentioned, like citrus fruit, cauliflower and cabbage. Does anyone know of any other foods to avoid when nursing? This rash looks so sore and red and I want to make it go away but the doctor seems to think I have to change my diet to do that. I've been changing her as often as I can and leaving her diaperless to air out a little each day. Can anyone help?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 3rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Keep a food diary and check her diaper rash. It may be a completely individual thing and only your diet and her bum will tell you what the cause is.

It could also be the diapers you are using. Have you changed diapers or wipes recently? What are you using on her rash? You should keep something on it as a barrier against the diaper/wetness.

Good luck!
|

Hi,

Is the rash just red, or is it kind of bumpy? Since it won't go away, she may have a yeast induced rash. You could try Lotramin AF (the foot cream), it's sold as clotrizamole in the generic form. I know it sounds weird to use athletes foot cream, but it really works (and is approved by Dr's). If that idea sounds a little too out there, you could always see if the Dr will call in Nystatin for you, which serves the same purpose as the clotrizamole. Also, I'm sure you are already doing this, but I thought I would mention it anyways; be sure to apply Desitin, Butt paste, balmex, etc... after each diaper change, and avoid diaper wipes because they can really irritate a sore bottom.

As far as the diet is concerned, I don't have any suggestions, but I hope things get straightened out soon!

Good luck.

Christina
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with my3kids about the diaper rash. We've used Lotrimin on Kaylee's butt since she was a couple months old & it works 100% better than any of the other creams we've tried! I can't offer any advice about the breastfeeding diet though, as I didn't breastfeed for very long.
|

replied October 11th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
Thanks for the advice ladies. She's all better now. I just spent time each time I changed her to air it out. Just spending that 5 to 10 minutes every time or every second time seemed to help. It wasn't a yeast infection thank goodness. I also made sure to drink only water and milk for a week just to see if it was from anything I was drinking. Luckily it went away pretty quick. Now all I'm using is Vaseline and sometimes corn starch (if I know she isn't going to poop for a bit). I was using zincofax and viaderm on it before. I was and still am using Pampers Swaddlers. They seem to be the best ones for her right now.

Anyway, thanks to those that replied, sorry I took so long, I never have time to be on here anymore. Here are a couple pics of my sweetie pie just for fun. She got all dressed up for her first Thanksgiving dinner last weekend (we have Thanksgiving earlier here in Canada) and the other one is of her laughing and talking to her little lion on her playpen mobile, she just loves that little guy! Smile

|

Extremely eHealthy
she is so cute karen!! i can believe she has enough hair for a little ponytail.. i love it!
|

Extremely eHealthy
She is beautiful!!!
|

Especially eHealthy
I'm glad you found something that worked for the both of you!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Karen!!!
she's gorgeous!!
i love her smile!!!
she seems so sweet and calm!!
=)
and her hair
there's so much!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Oh Karen shes such a sweetie! I am glad I caught a post from you! I dont get on here much either anymore!!
Funny we both came on to post pics on the same day! Sounds like things are going well for you and eadie, I am pleased. I often sit and think of how you both are getting on Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Glad everything's all better! I'm loving that first picture!
|