Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Neurontin Withdrawal (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi there everyone, I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong area, and feel free to move it to the correct one if so!

My question is as follows:

My mother was put on Neurontin for neuropathic (nerve) pain after suffering for several months with a shattered lumbar disc. Eventually she was admitted to hospital and had surgery to remove the disc, after being on 900-1200mg/day of Neurontin for three weeks. After a further week they started to reduce the neurontin, first to 600mg/day, then a fortnight later to 300mg/day then the final week was to be 200mg/day.

She was discharged from hospital a week after the operation and took the medication, under my care, as instructed. However, after three weeks her progress seemed to stop, if anything it reversed, as she was getting weaker and starting to feel suddenly very hot or very cold, with the thermometer showing no change in temperature either way. When she started suffering fainting spells I took her back to hospital, where they kept an eye on her for a few days, and said she was suffering withdrawal symptoms from the Neurontin. After a few days they discharged her again, and I'm looking after her again.

She is still very weak most of the time, making it to the bathroom is almost all she can do before she collapses onto the bed again. She is nearly 50, and prior to the back operation and injury was in very good health, very fit and active. The symptoms are very stressful for her and for me, and I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this before, or knows anything about it, and could therefore be able to give me some kind of timeframe for when she should be getting back to normal. At the moment she barely has the energy to lift a spoon of food to her mouth, though when she does get a little back she can walk for five or ten minutes, but then she goes down again. I think it would help her and me if we knew how much longer this will go on for.

Thanks very much!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gabybaby
|

replied December 15th, 2007
Wondering How It's Going?
Hi April,

I'm wondering how your mother is doing?

I (I'm 55) went off Nuerontin, after almost two years on it for leg/back pain. They took me off, as I was having horrible side effects; double vision, slurred speech, stumbling, terrible memory problems and MANY other problems.

As they lowered my dose (a month to wean off, which I've read in other sites, not long enough) I'd have migraines for three days.

My last dose was Oct 30th of this year. Thanksgiving Day I started migraines (formerly I've had, but not more than one day at a time) and I've had them everyday since. I have to wear dark glasses all the time, as too light sensitive. My head feels strange, not much better way to describe it and I have a metalic taste in my mouth.

I'm curious as to whether your mother has recovered by now and if she had any of these problems.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays.
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Side effects of Neurontin--both on meds and after stopping
I have also had a migraine headache, almost non-stop seens getting off Neurontin. My doctor had me stop all at once but I was only on for a month.
I was have other bad side effects while on Neurontin.
I was very combative and not sleeping very well.
|

replied December 17th, 2007
Hi,
Mm is doing a lot better now, she's been off it a few months and though she still experiences what she refers to as flashbcks - suddenly feeling shivery or sweaty and the same senses of fear etc, in general she is a lot better. She isn't photosensitive, and though she has occasional migraines she always did, so I'm not sure if it's connected.

Thanks for the reply,

Best wishes& happy christmas! Very Happy
|

replied December 31st, 2007
Neurontin Withdrawal
Hi. I thought I'd try this forum to learn from other's experiences. I was prescribed 300MG of Neurontin along with Fentanyl patch 75 and Oxycontin to get me though a large hertinated disc L3-4 along with an extruded disc fragment. Recently I started feeling better and decided to cut out the Neurontin cold turkey, over the holiday season no less. Bad decision, I think. I've had feelings of hopelessness, sadeness and depression resulting in crying. I've felt like I've had the flu with cold sweats. I'm miserable and friends/family are worried about me. At this point its been almost a week so I am hopeful I'm through the worst.
I wonder if anyone else has had similar feelings quitting Neurontin? I am a patient at a pain management center so I will be talking with them this week. I hope everyone that reads this gets better and God Bless.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
yes same story ,around 900 mg per day for shingle pain ( 3 weeks ),felt better ,went off cold turkey 2 days latter feeling very anxious ,lots of shivery cold feeling throughout my body ,can't sleep ,no headache,slight metallic taste in mouth ,right off my food ,kinda felt lost .Good drug for the nerve pain --bad drug to get off ,was going back to the doctor but will now just endure it.no more of that drug for me .. thanks for your post . .
|

replied July 16th, 2012
good luck. it will take a bit but will get better eventually. Hang in there. i am totally off now & don't feel like I'm in withdrawal anymore. take care.
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2012
neurontin hell
i am a recovering addict that chose neurontin other than narcotic pain medications for my degenerative disk disease. not a good choice. i became more addicted to the neurontin than heroin or any other drug. i've been on neurontin for 5 yrs now and now cant stop due to blood pressure issues when i stop taking it. for anyone considering taking this drug i urge you to find another option.
|

replied December 20th, 2012
gabapentin withdrawal
Hi knw,
I was on gabapentin at 2400 mg. to 3000 mg. at bed time for over 10 years and like you I thought I could never stop taking the drug even though I wanted to.

Some info that might help you better understand what is going on can be found at DR. Carolyn Dean web sight she has been studing magnesium and the fact that most people don't get enough magnesium through their diet thus a magnesium defiecency, one of the symptoms of a magnesium defiecency can be high blood pressure.

After reading about magnesium I decided to try a magnesium supplement, where as before I had attempted over 10 months to taper off gabapentin and failed each time, after taking the magnesium supplement I was off gabapentin in a little over a month and no withdrawal.

I still take a magnesium supplement I experience less pain in my back and fewer headaches.
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Neurontin
I am 27 years old. I was on Neurontin for a year at 300-600 mg at night. I stopped cold turkey. And have not had a problem since. I am now on lyrica, a much better nerve disorder medicine. Good Luck
|

replied February 9th, 2008
Experienced User
Most people do not experience any symptoms of withdrawal from neurontin. The symptoms of withdrawal after stopping 200mg a day are almost unheard of, and continuing strange symptoms months later have absolutely nothing to do with neurontin that is out of the body completely in 2 days.
|
Users who thank algosdoc for this post: jamierenee615 

replied December 29th, 2011
Gabapentin Withdrawal Syndrome
I had full gabapentin withdrawal syndrome after taking only 200 mg a day for 6 weeks for nerve pain related to an accident. It was horrible - shaking, anxiety, migraines, extreme weakness (I needed help just to get out of bed), insomnia, weird feelings on one side of my head, and nausea that lasted 2 weeks. I was on no other medication and had no previous health issues. My friends took me to the hospital because they feared I would have a seizure. Everything came out normal and the most the docs could do was give me nausea meds and lithium for the anxiety. The worse was over after two weeks, but I continued to suffer migraines 1-2xs a month, memory loss, and severe insomonia for 1 year afterward.

You are wrong that continuing symptoms have no relation to Neurontin. Neurontin changes your brain chemistry, and it can take months for your brain to go back to normal. After reading medical journals on this subject, I found that 85% of people suffering Gabapentin withdrawal syndromes will have their symptoms resolve after a year, but for the remaining 15%, it could take up to 5 years. For a tiny percentage of these, the side effects could be permanent.

Do your homework - Neurontin is a very dangerous drug. People need to be informed, so that they can make an informed choice about whether the risks are worth it to them. For me, it was a year of hell.
|
Users who thank Truthteller108 for this post: njobr 

replied March 16th, 2008
What else was she on?
I have had same problems from them removing my morphine pump that I have had since 1996. Please find my posts about this and read it.

Turns out that my Nreve Receptors are messed up, and I have actually been put on
neurontin to help that problem. As a matter of fact, they took pump out Jan 3rd, and I still have the exact problems you Mom has!

Was she also on heavy pain medications that have messed up her receptors?

Good Luck to your Mom!
|

replied May 19th, 2008
neurontin
Wow... I'm on neurontin due to a nerve pain disorder.. no cure for it, but the doctor at the Pain Management felt that using the neurontin and vicodins would be helpful in keeping my pain to tolerable levels, which it has.. I actually had a lumbar injection today to see if it would work due to my pain dystrophy being mild to moderate (happened after surgery, nerves keep firing for no apparent reason).. anyways, what I am reading has be worried!!! I didn't realize that neurontin was such an addicting medication.. now I have two to worry about. Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks and good luck
|

replied May 8th, 2009
neurontin
I was on neurontin for a few months. During that time I felt like I was drunk. I couldn't think straight I stumbled around. Considering I don't drink it was pretty awful. I stopped taking it cold turkey which really wasn't the best idea. It took me 2 months just to get back on my feet. Sites like this one are what got me through. It will take time but it does get better.
To the person who said that side effects are rare with neurontin. I have found that to be completely untrue. I have talked with a lot of people who have suffered because of this drug and their doctors telling them that it can't be the drug. If it doesn't have side effects for fine but don't tell people who come to these sites for help that its all in their head. If they wanted to hear a line of bull they could just go talk to their doctor.
|

replied December 9th, 2011
I agree with you. Some of us have very sensitive receptors. I come from a family with addiction problems. Though I am not addicted to anything, I have found coming off Neurontin hell. And I know that others have found it easy. DO NOt negate our symptoms. You cant just throw a drug that is used for Epilepsy at a complex pain syndrome and expect their to be no backlash from such people.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
neurontin
Is nuerontin really this dangerous? If so, I'll tell my doctor to take me off of it. I was prescribed it because I broke my foot 10 days ago and have a lot of nerve pain in my foot. I actually feel like its not helping at all.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
neurontin withdrawal
I have just withdrawn from 900 mg neurontin, 4 times a day after taking it for 9 months for pain after shingles. it has been hell, I did withdraw slowly but not slow enough. I have had all the side effects and still have. I am now 5 days clear. My pain is much less and I am thinking of not taking anything more than the occasional advil. So glad I found this site as I thought I was going crazy. My weakness, depression and loss of weight are awful. Hope it improves soon,
|

replied October 15th, 2012
How can you deal with your depression? Did you take any antidepressant medications? your answers would be very helpful. Thank you for your attentions. Gougou
|

replied November 17th, 2012
i take 2400 mg of gabapentin a day and i have to take an antidepressent because the gabapentin makes me depressed
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Neurontin
I was given Gabapentin (neurontin)for migraines in March of this year. It effected me in a very bad way. I felt drunk, VERY dizzy and hyper. I had strange parinoid thoughts and decided to taper. I titrated up to 2200 and went down slowly, but not slowly enough. I've had a terrable time with anxiety and dizziness. Actually the (drunk) feeling hasn't gone away and it's been 2 weeks. Very scary!!! From what I'm learning it can take up to a couple months for your head to clear. Any suggestions? thank you
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Neurontin
I was given Gabapentin (neurontin)for migraines in March of this year. It effected me in a very bad way. I felt drunk, VERY dizzy and hyper. I had strange parinoid thoughts and decided to taper. I titrated up to 2200 and went down slowly, but not slowly enough. I've had a terrable time with anxiety and dizziness. Actually the (drunk) feeling hasn't gone away and it's been 2 weeks. Very scary!!! From what I'm learning it can take up to a couple months for your head to clear.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Gabapentin (neurontin)
Hi- I've been on 1200-1800mg of Gabapentin (nuerotin) for 6 mos. and after having an epidural last week, I pretty much went cold turkey off of the gabapentin. Last Sat. night I had to go to the ER b/c of either a ocular migraine or a bout of acute narrow angle glaucoma. I'm also having nauseau and high blood pressure. Anyone heard of any of these symptoms or problems with withdrawal? I didn't think about withdrawing slowly, but now, it's been about 5 days since I've been off of it, and don't want to go anywhere's near it again! Any comments/help would be appreciated.

Deb
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Gabapentin withdrawal
I was on 1600mg a day after losing my leg in an accident 18 months ago. It was stopped cold turkey when I had an operation 10 days ago. I have been asking the doctors why I am so dizzy, severe nausea, weak...its been horrible and its not going away. Previously I have had doctors tell me that there are insignificant withdrawal symptoms from Gabapentin. Now from this site, I discover the truth. I also had severe headaches for days, although on day 10 these seem to have subsided.

I hope this helps others.

Allison France
|

replied August 1st, 2009
gabapentin withdrawl
I was on 400mgx2 gabapentin for 3 months(shingles pain)..The side effects were to much. I quite could turkey.Bad Idea!! Its August now and I am still having withdrawal symptoms.pain in legs, tremors in legs, anxiety, muscle pain. My research has found that gabapentin withdrawal can mimic benzo withdrawal. That can last 6 to 12 months and come and go during that time. Also if your dose is small your body motabilizes more. So less is more with this drug. im starting to have more good days than bad...Make sure you taper off this drug. I learned the hard way
|

replied August 12th, 2009
I was taking about 300mg a day for wrist pain and stopped beause I was trying to save the medication. Also my wrist pain stopped. I have been foogy, anxious and unable to focus. However, there have been other things going on in my life as well that could cause stress. Any thoughts?
|

replied September 16th, 2009
Neurontin for memory and concentration problems
My psichiatrist recommended I start takink neurontin for depression, memory and concentration problems. I've been taking about 100mg a day for I believe about 6 months. It really helped me to get focused, organized and my memory improved a lot. However I forgot to take it for about 3 days and about 2 days later started feeling really wierd. It's like a hard feeling to describe like dizziness, unfocused, bad memory problems, very sleepy,a bit of nausea.It has affected my work. The worst feeling is the dizziness with like a double vision (very hard to explain the feeling). I definetley want to get off it for good. Since I no longer see the doctor that prescribed it I decided to alternate days. Take it one day, one day off. I don't know for how long I should do this? Or if I am doing it the right way. Any suggestions?
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
Wow! I am SO Glad to read that I am not the only one with this problem...

I have been on 900mg Neurontin 4 X a day for 9 months now. I have been stuck at home for 2 years re-habbing from horrible neuropathy pain in my elbow/arm after two recontructive surgeries from a bad steroid shot.

My MD has cut me back to 2700mg of Neurontin which I have no problem with, but I ran out of Neurontin all together last Saturday because the mail order pharmacy had not arrived yet. By Monday I was feeling nauseated and had extreme pain in my arm and down to my left thumb. By today (Friday) I was convinced I had the swine flu!
I kept having hot and cold flashes, very sick stomach, very weak, couldn't eat or drink anything, felt very faint, and was drinking Pepto Bismol like Gatorade.

I finally called the MD for a holdover dose because of my arm pain, still thinking I had the flu, and as soon as my husband brought the Neurontin home from the pharmacy and I got it down, within 30 minutes - an hour I was feeling SOOO much better. Then the light bulb went off in my head that I was having withdrawal symptoms even though Neurontin is NOT a narcotic or controlled substance. Now that I see others are having the same symptoms with much lower doses than I am on, I am extremely concerned.
I'm also afraid to discuss this with my MD as he might not believe this is possible and say I was in Vicodin withdrawal or something.... Thoughts??

~Angela~
|

replied October 18th, 2009
neurontin withdrawal
Sarah

I have been on neurontin 600 mg twice a day for several months for carpal tunnel pain. Had my surgery on Mon and stopped taking the neurontin as I didn't think i needed it any more since i had the surgery. After about two days i started feeling very bad. Depressed, no interest in anything, weak, decrease appetite, nausea. I was feeling horrible. New something was wrong so i looked up the symptoms of neurontin withdrawl as that was the only thing i could think of that i had done different. Saw that some people were having the same experience. Took the 600mg dose that i had been taking and with in an hour or two started feeling soooo much better. I will be weaning myself off of this drug as soon as possible but will go slow with the weaning process
|

replied October 20th, 2009
heeby-jeebys
Hi folks,

I'm a doc and a pain patient. I was given neurontin for chronic back pain as I won't take narcotic pain meds and I usually take 600-900mg per day. The MD's aren't lying, the typical scenario of patients coming off of neurontin don't produce these symptoms so explicitly. Keep in mind that the folks who are posting here are those who were experiencing these symptoms already, and thus searching for an explanation. You won't hear from those who had no withdrawl in forums like these. That being said, the symptoms are certainly real and experienced by enough patients that anyone on the drug should at least take note. I'm experiencing them myself even though I wasn't taking a very large dose, or for very long (several weeks at a time). Although I don't have any studies to show this concretely, in my experience if a patient uses the drug intermittently, the withdrawl gets a little more profound each time so you may want to avoid using it in the future if you've had the problems in the past. It is tough though, I know. It's very hard to get treated for chronic pain without being looked at like a "drug-seeker". It is an equally frustrating situation being on the treating side of the encounter. Pain is very hard to treat and impossible to test aside from what the patient tells us, which on so many occasions seems to be false in order to obtain drugs. It's clearly a tight-rope and one that I've had the experience of walking from both perspectives. Keep you chins up, and just keep trying to work with your docs on finding the best treatment modalities that help you individually.
|