Medical Questions > Cancer > Prostate Cancer Forum

Blood In Urine and Prostate Cancer Dx.

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I am asking this question for a friend who I am very worried about. He is 80 years old and was diagnosed five years ago with prostate cancer. He refused surgery and claims he is not in pain. Four months ago he started passing blood in his urine, this would happen about every two weeks. Now he passes blood about twice a week. According to him it is a pretty good amount of blood. He refuses to see a doctor unless I can show him that this could be serious. Is he in the end stages of prostate cancer, he worries he may bleed to death?

Thank you,
M.C.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mickey12
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
As the cancer enlarges and presses on the urethra, the urination becomes more difficult and man may also experience blood in the urine. The tumor usually grows slowly and remains confined to the gland for many years. If cancer advances and spread locally into the surrounding tissues (urethra and rectum), also, can cause blood in the patient's urine.
Patients with prostate cancer that hasn't spread or is locally invasive have a minimal risk of death from prostate cancer over the 15 years.
That type of cancer can be effectively treated and is often cured.
Fast-growing and aggressive cancers can spread to bones, lungs and liver.
Is your friend experiencing some other symptoms?
Waiting for your post!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied October 4th, 2007
Thank you so much for your answer. I just spoke with my friend (he lives in Germany) and he claims he has no other symptoms besides that he is tired a lot, no energy.

Michaela
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Michaela!
Feeling tired and without energy is one of common symptom experienced in patients suffering from different cancers. Did he loss weight purposelessly? Is he experiencing significant loss of appetite? Can he notice decreased muscle mass(muscle atrophy)?
When all of these symptoms are experienced, the condition is known as cachexia and is common for end-stage cancers.
|

replied November 17th, 2007
Blood In Sperm
is it different from blood in sperm, urine and stool? mine is only in my sperm, i just notice it last night.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Blood in urine
My husband is a 62 year old diabetic Type II and has lost weight but still weighs the same. I believe it is muscle mass he has lost. but my question is he has been experiencing blood (flake-like) in his urine. Yesterday is the first time he has had large blood flakes pass during urination. This did scare him but I can't get him to a doctor. He is on insulin and is very stubborn on going to medical doctor except to get his insulin rx. Can you tell me what is causing this. He says he has a small pain in his lower abdomen but no where else. He does feel tired and sometimes irritable.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
My husband is urinating every two three days blood in urine and then it clears up. The two times he experienced this one time it came up like dried blood and a long film with like a dry up mucuse like film. No pain no lost of appetitie not tired. Did colonoscopy a year ago that was okay, PSA was good. What could this be?
|