Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Suggestions Forum

Posting Timeout ... And the Solutions

User Profile
First, let me be the first to apologize for this inconvenience. What a pain to lose a post that you've composed!!! Second, I want to explain what's happening and how we're taking actions to fix it.

When you're logged into EHEALTH, the system notes the length of your session by minutes. Then, for security reasons, the system automatically logs you out after 15 minutes (I believe) if the screen has not changed. This is to prevent someone in your home, office, or the public library from accessing your account should you walk away from the computer. But the auto time out also means that when you're composing a long message that might take 20-30 minutes, you find yourself out of luck b/c you've lost the content.

Well... there are 2 resolutions for this problem.

1. We're going to increase the time out session requirements for all text boxes so that you don't experience a "time out". In practical terms, you should be able to spend a good amount of time writing a reply or creating a new post without worry about the auto log-out. How long do you typically need to write a new post?

2. You can manually go "back" to your post if you find that you're logged out. Then, right click to the ehealthforum home page, open this page in a new window, and log in again. Your message should be preserved and you should be able to send it as soon as you're logged in.

Please let me know if I can help you further. We're on the case, although it might take a few days to perfect. We're glad that you're online with us and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
Lee @ Admin
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 1st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Auto Time Out
Hello Lee,

I have received responses from two people regarding their thoughts on the "time out". Below is their individual thoughts -

First poster - "I would think that we should be able to have at least 1 hour before the system knocks us off and we have to log in again, but even longer would be good.

Sometimes, I've had to go back on the thread for info while responding or I want to google something to check out if I have the right info."

Second poster - "I agree with (first poster). I would think it would be better if they just dropped the log out all together."

Lee, last night I spent over an hour writing, editing, and proofing a post. Of course the system had logged me off when I tried to send the post I had written I had saved the post to MS Word so that I could copy and paste it. But, we should not have to do that in my opinion.

I have been on two other health forums, garden forums and several relationship forums. Never on any of the forums did I have a problem posting. Each post was always "accepted" when I clicked "submit". None of the forums I posted on ever had a time limit.

I agree with the two posters that it would be much appreciated if the developers would eliminate the time out altogether. Even if you go to a 1 hour "time out", can you imagine the pain, frustration and irritation if you spent and hour and a half writing a post only to find you are "timed out" and the post is not accepted and is now lost.

After your upcoming meeting with the developers I truly hope the "time out" will be a thing of the past.

Take care, and thanks for "listening".

Richard
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2007
Advanced Support Team
Thanks for your feedback and communication , Richard.

The time out has been extended to 2 hours when posting ... due to the load on our database, we can't at this time support an unlimited log in (for now). We're always working to improve our services, though, and will re-consider an unlimited time out sometime soon.

Thanks again!

- Lee

replied October 4th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Wonderful - Two Hour Timeout
Hello Lee,

WOW, you and your staff really are fantastic!!!! Thanks much for extending the timeout to two hours.

Have a GREAT Day!

RichT
|