Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

At what age can I stop the middle of the night feedings ?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My daughter is 2 weeks and 2 days old. I have been feeding her every 3-3 1/2 hours. She is formula fed. I was wondering if during the night I could feed her every 4 hours? That way I could possibly get just a little more sleep. And at what age can I stop the middle of the night feedings? I am just getting sooooo worn out.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the first few months are very tiring. my daughter used to wake up every hour for feeds! she would refuse to take a whole bottle at a time no matter how much i burped her etc.

there is no set age that they stop waking up. my daughter didn't until she was a year old and my son slept through from newborn til 8 months then started waking up again!

it's all the joys of being a mother. do you have a partner who could help share the burden? or ask family or friends to mind her for a few hours during the day so you can have a little sleep. you need all the help you can get so don't be afraid to ask.

good luck and i hope she sleeps through for you soon Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
after 2 weeks, you no longer have to wake them to feed them and can let them work out their own schedule. if she'll go 4 hours, feel free to wait that long.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yep like B said, I stopped waking Kaylee up to feed her after a few weeks & let her let me know when she was tired. After a month she was sleeping through the night!
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Every baby is different. They do say tho that once they are at 14 lbs you can start to ween them off of the night feeding. My doctor said that if they wake up, and you leave them for a bit and they go back to sleep and sleep 2+ more hours then they are not hungry when they are waking the first time, if you let them go back to sleep and they are up in less than an hour or an hour that they are definitely still hungry when they first wake up. Chandler has some nights where he wakes and in 5 min is back to sleep for at least 3-4 more hours. And then there are nights he wakes up and I know he is hungry just from the sounds he is making. He is usually sleeping from 8:30 or 9 pm until 4-5:30 am. It really just depends on his day.
|
Tags: sleep
Quick Reply