Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Does Evening Primrose Oil Eface and dialate the cervix ?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I heard that Evening Primrose Oil will help Eface and dialate the cervix is that true?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
didn't i just read in another post that you're only 35 weeks? your baby is not ready to come out yet!
|

Especially eHealthy
If you take evening primrose oil ait will help your cervix be healthy. However it will not make you dilate or efface. The same can be said for red raspberry tea leaf. Drinking it can help you but it will not promote labor.

If you are only 35 weeks, you still have 5 weeks to go. The end of pregnancy does suck ~ but it sucks even more to have a baby in the NICU when you go home without it.
|

They told me her lungs were healthy and fully developed and I have been in preterm labor for the past month and got the sterroid shot at 32 weeks. but my midwife sugested EPO. But my doctor also stripped my membrane last night. So now I am confused......
|

Especially eHealthy
They are trying to have you deliver? At 35 weeks?
|

They said something about my daughters placenta having a cut in it. They didn't tell me how serious it was, but they told my husband and he has been acting really weird. I have been researching the topic and it is starting to scare me, they said I needed to ripen my cervix more.
|

Especially eHealthy
Sweetie, I think this is something you truly need to speak with your doctor about. When is your next appointment?
|

Tuesday. I had one today and that is when they told my husband but they schedualed another one for this Tuesday.
|

Especially eHealthy
You just said your doctor stripped your membranes last night...

Your doctor needs to talk to YOU - not your husband - about anything dealing with your pregnancy and your body.

when did they find out your placenta had a tear in it?
|

When they held me in the hospital like 2 days ago and they said that it was of no concern but then last night when she stripped my membrane she seemed more conserned, but I think it was because my daughter's heart rate dropped to the low 90's. But I don't know. She said stress on me would only make matters worse so I think that is why she talked to my husband but who knows. All I know is that I am scared and confused.
|

Especially eHealthy
Ok. What were you in the hospital for? Who stripped your membranes if your last doctors appointment was last Tuesday? How did they diagnose your torn placenta? (FYI, an actual torn placenta would have required more treatment than sending you home from the hospital).

So stress will make it worse - but isn't that what you are doing by not being told what is going on?
|

I don't know. They held me in the hospital for a day and monitored the baby's heart rate. She said that the tear was minor so that is why they have me doing frequent visits. and last night when I went into labor and delivery the on-call doctor is who stripped my membrane, so now I guess when I see MY OB on Tuesday she will fill me in. But I don't know. All I know is that I am scared and stressed.
|

Especially eHealthy
Seems odd that an on call doctor, and not your normal doctor, would strip your membranes.

What do your release papers say?
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Evening Primrose
Yes, Evening Primrose Oil does help to soften and dilate the cervix. My widwife prescribed it to me. I am 38 weeks, have problem with amniotic fluid. They would like to induce sometime soon, as my fluid is going down again, but my cervix is not doing anything.
The Evening Primrose is only supposed to get the cervix soft and ready for dilation. It doesn't put you in labor.
I would trust my doctor and midwife over anyone in a forum. I am not trying to be mean, but they are the ones who have studied this and who have made it their careers. It is nice to get advice and to share similar stories and opinions, but please don't bank on what people say here.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
Plecenta tare/bleed
I also had a bleed from plecenta at 37 weeks but bleeding stopped so they let me home with a follow up appointment of a scan , which showed plecenta healed itself. So try not to worry im now 38 week and waiting to see my consultant tomorrow, will keep you informed x
|
Quick Reply