Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

Children Born With Six Toes (Page 1)

I recently found out I was born with six toes on one foot. At 29, I have a lot of questions. Does anyone know why this occurs or how they are removed at birth? Has this repeated bi-generation or in other frequency? Would you tell your child or keep it to yourself, and why?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mervynsb
|

replied September 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
A couple of girls on this site had children with extra digits. Thumbs.

Try posting this on the Pregnancy COmmunity Chat...as they've already had their babies and don't frequent this forum much!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2011
o ok
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2007
Supporter
Hi, I'm one of the girls Sarah was talking about! My daughter has an extra thumb on her right hand.

She's having it removed when she's 1 (in a couple of months' time). We had to wait til then because the thumb has a bone & a nail in it, rather than just being a fleshy extra bit, like some are.. so she needs a general anaethestic etc. I'm definitely going to tell her all about it when she's older.. there's no reason to keep it from her. If I knew she wouldn't get bullied when she's older I probably wouldn't have it removed at all.

In her case it's not genetic; no-one else in my family, or her father's, have ever been born with an extra digit before.. but it can be hereditary. It's nothing to worry about.. well I personally don't think it is anyway!
|
Users who thank Zanny for this post: slokiki 

replied February 15th, 2009
extra toes
Hi the extra toe runs in my mothers family, she did not have it her brother and sister did, and I was born with it, my two sons were not but my daughter was, mine was removed at 9 months prior to walking as was my daughters, she is embarrassed by how they look, as was I as a teenager, not much you can do, just be grateful for all the positive things thanks
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
extra toes
I was born with twelve toes in all plus two extra toe bones in between my big toe and the middle toe on each foot. I had six on each side and on my left foot, the two extra toes were webbed and off to the side a bit. When i was three my parents took me to St. Lukes Shriners Hospital to get three of them removed (the two extra plus the other one on the side of my left foot.) I now have nine toes but i still have fourteen toe bones. This doesnt completely run in my family but my dads side does have "foot issues". My dad has the two extra toe bones between the big toe and middle. But no one in my family had ever had the extra toes! Im fifteen years old and im proud of my feet. I show them off as much as possible. :] In my opinion, i think telling your sons is a good idea. But dont make it seem like a bigger deal than it is.
I hope i helped. Thanks!
|

replied March 5th, 2009
extra toes
Hi my son was born with extra toes and fingers.He had 12 fingers and 12 toes. His dad had the same thing and his extra fingers and toes were located in the same place where his father's was located. In his case I think it came from my husband. Each one of his extra fingers and toes were located on the side of his pinky fingers and pinky toes. At birth, they sutured the fingers off and at 6 months my son had surgery on his feet because he had bones in the extra toes. He's three and he's doing just fine now.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
Surgery
Hi, I am well in my 20's and have 6 toes (with bones and nails) on each foot that are webbed. I am thinking about corrective surgery. Most of you discussed having surgery at a young age, but any one you know have done in in their teens or older? I am wondering if anyone would know the time I would be out of work for such a procedure and healing time and how risky it is at this age. I do not want to risk ever walking again to complete such as cosmetic surgery.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Extras
I have identical twin daughters recently born. One has two thumbs on each hand with bones and nails and 6 toes on each foot. The other had an extra pinky "nubbin'" that was tied off and also has 6 toes on each foot. The extra toes are a duplicated 2nd toe which can complicate the idea of removal. This was a complete surprise at birth and doesn't run in our families. We plan have the thumbs removed as the outside one doesn't seem to bend and gets in the way. I am debating on the feet. Will they have shoe issues their whole life? Girls like their fashion. If I don't do the surgery early, will they resent me not dealing with it early? Will the scarring from surgery look worse than the extra toe? To complicate things, one daughter has a "wonky" big toe that will need some correction. Could I have them removed on one and not the other? Any insight would be helpful.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I was also surprised when my daughter was born with six toes on each foot and little nubbs on each of her hands but I believe it is best to remove them and take care of it at an early age. If you do it when they are young they won't remember but if you do it when they are older it could be a tramatic memory. Not that its a big deal but having surgery can be scary. Also it will be a easier healing process. You don't have to worry about keeping them off their feet as a baby. And later you can share the story with your girls and even show them pictures. Actually before my daughters surgery we took alot of pictures to show her down the line. I think it will be intresting to her and also a memory for yourselt because you will miss them. Smile I'm one who dolls my daughter up and before her surgery it was difficult and nerve recking to find her shoes that fit her comfortably. And not the most important issue but kids are mean these days and I didn't want anyone making fun of my child. I hope me sharing my expierence has helped you and good luck!!!
|

replied May 17th, 2009
my family are huge pittsburgh steelers fans. i went into labor durning the superbowl. i didnt have my son until the next morning. he was born with 6 toes on each foot. it bothered me a little in the begning but the more i hear how many births there are like this i doesnt bother me anymore.the steelers won the superbowl and got their "6 pack" and i got mine as well. some in the family even nicknamed him "6 pack".
|

replied December 4th, 2011
Where did you find shoes for him? My next door neighbor has a little girl with six toes and we can't find shoes for her.
|

replied January 20th, 2012
My son has 6 toes (with bones and nails) on each foot, but if you don't count his toes, his feet look like the typical foot. I won't say normal because 6 toes is extremely common and would be even more common if people stop removing the ones that are fully functional. In the beginning we found a store that sold extra wide stride rite shoes and bought those. Now that he's older, his feet have become narrow enough to wear regular wide shoes and we recently bought boots from target.
|

My son has 6 toes (with bones and nails) on each foot, but if you don't count his toes, his feet look like the typical foot. I won't say normal because 6 toes is extremely common and would be even more common if people stop removing the ones that are fully functional. In the beginning we found a store that sold extra wide stride rite shoes and bought those. Now that he's older, his feet have become narrow enough to wear regular wide shoes and we recently bought boots from target.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2012
just get a size bigger i have a two year old with an extra pinky toe on his left foot, i buy a size bigger for him. its less costly then buying special made shoes that they will grow out of in a few months
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Six toes
My granddaughter is 2-1/2 and just had her 6th toe removed. Her left foot had a "skin tag" and was tied off just after birth and her right foot had an extra baby toe with bone & toenail. My daughter decided to have it removed when she said, "ouie" a couple weeks ago when putting a shoe on her foot. We loved her little extra toe and she counted to six when we painted her little toes pink! We look at our little Lily as a special little being. I also read that the extra digits are a sign of divinity. My daughter and I joke that we could have the next Mother Teresa! I'll miss her little extra toe, but I'm sure she'll be glad that it was removed when she's older. We have plenty of pictures for show and tell and her mark in the concrete patio and inked prints. I don't know why some people make such a big deal out of it. I think it's kinda awesome. I know our Lily is awesome! If anyones interested, we're on day 3 with a little pink cast that will stay on for 2 weeks. The stitches will desolve and should heal nicely. She's taken almost no pain medicine that was sent home with. The doctor said to try to keep her off of it and foot elevated for a couple of days. We said, "yeah, right doc..." as if that's going to happen. Even with that cast on we have to tell her, "don't run"... it's not keeping her down.
|

replied September 24th, 2009
I was born with 6 fingers and 6 toes on each hand and foot. All had bones and nails and all were removed before I was 1. Its something that runs in my family, so I dont think it came as much of a surprise to my family. It stems from my mothers side and goes back quite a number of generations. I am VERY glad that my parents had them removed, the scars dont get noticed unless i show them to people and both my hands and my feet look practically normal. The only thing different is that my little toes on my feet are slightly further down than they should be and slightly small, but it just looks like i have unfortunate feet....i never wanted to be a foot model anyway! I also have extra bones in between my fingers and toes. The only reason I know this is because of an xray on my feet after an injury.
I would say that removing them at an early age is a very good idea. It means that your child can wear gloves and normal shoes Also if you left on the extra toes until they are older their centre of gravity will need to change so if they are removed before they start to walk or relitivly young anyway this doesn't pose such a problem.
I am 5 months pregnant with my first child and will find out if it has extra digets at my scan next week. I hope not, but wont be worried if it has because if you look at my grandmothers hands and feet and then my mothers and mine you can see how advanced the removal is becoming. Im sure it is barely noticable now than it was 25 years ago when mine were removed and 49 years ago when my mothers were and lots and lots of years ago when my grandmothers were!!!!

Hope this helps!
|

replied February 24th, 2010
I was born with extra toes on the inside of both of my feet... next to big toe. I have thin scars and my big toe is smaller than a typical one. They were removed when I was about 9 months old. I bet I thought it was a big bummer at the time... since my mother can remember me walking at about 7-8 months... I was basically a child prodigy! That all went downhill with the loss of the extra toes Sad
However...I'm very petite... so having small toes isn't really an issue. One side is webbed... so I can't wear flip-flops... and sometimes shoes that aren't wide enough bother me bc I still have a bit of bone on that inside part (looks like a bunion, i've been told?). I figure.. if you're gonna have one less than perfect body part... FEET would be a good choice!
Heard once that Ann Boleyn had extra digits... and that it was spread through some royal blood... interesting historical tidbit.
|

replied March 31st, 2010
I was born with 6 toes on my right foot. When learning my right from left it was VERY helpful when I was little. All of my shoes as a kid had to be wide width in order to accomodate the toe. I liked and found that it was cool. I didn't have a problem with it until junior high. It became a problem to me because I wanted to wear some of the cute little shoes that other girls were wearing. Also my mother complained of the cost of the shoes, as at that time it wasn't something that was easily available. I had the surgery to remove my toe, which was a full second baby toe....bone and toenail and it was not at all connected to the other baby toe, when I was 14 or 15. It was a couple of weeks that I was in an ugly velcro orthopedic shoe and using crutches. The pain really wasn't that bad at all. After two weeks I returned to my podiatrist and she pulled my stitches out (I was a chicken so it was without any medication). Then after that maybe another couple of weeks.

Occassionaly I still have problems as sometimes it tingles there or aches. The scar is not something that you would really notice. I rubbed it with cocoa butter every day for a few months to help the healing.
|

replied April 12th, 2010
6 toes
I just found out today at 28weeks that my baby boy has 6 toes by 3-D ultrasound! I think its kind a cute and makes him even more blessed! But We do plan to have it removed but we wont hide if from him!
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2010
I have 10 children, and this is the 1st time we''ve had a little one with "special" toes. Smile My 10 month old, Adalynn, was born with the 4th & 5th toes (right foot) webbed about to where the nail begins. The webbed pinky toe is basically 2 toes in one (the pinky toe is the size of 2 toes, and has 2 nails on it).

I just got back from the foot doctor, and he said he''ll be leaving the webbing alone (it can be a difficult surgery because of veins shared between the 2 toes), but will need to remove the extra toe (which the xray showed had it''s own bone) or it will cause her all sorts of foot problems (not to mention the difficulty of finding shoes that would fit- as not even wide shoes would work- the toe splays out quite a bit).

Anyway, waiting to hear from our family dr to see when he thinks it''s best to have the surgery done. I love her sweet little toes, and will hate to see them changed, but do want what''s best for my baby girl. Smile
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
I have the same situation with my daughter ad LoraLease
Can u please tell me which doctor you are using.
Thanx
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2010
I''m using Dr. Raska in North Platte, NE. I asked around a lot, to find out who others recommended, and almost everyone in my area said this dr. Not sure if you have facebook, but that was where I found lots of local recommendations when I posted there about my Addy''s toes. Smile Good luck finding a dr!
|

replied May 19th, 2010
I have six toes on one foot
Thanks to the age of the internet I'm 25 years old male and i have an extra toe on my right foot its pretty cute might i add its fully formed i just makes me special .
|

replied June 13th, 2010
I was wondering if LoraLease had the surgery for her baby girl yet?
Also I wanted to comment that my daughter is almost 7 years and has the same condition except on he left foot and she fits into regular shoes normally. She never complained of any pains. My only issue is the appearance of the toe and because she is older she notices it as well. I just wanted to find out if you already had the surgery and how long is the recovery and if the appearance of the toe is drastically changed.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
I just found out (at 13 weeks) that my baby has a 6th finger near its pinky on the left hand. My parents and my husband's parents don't know of any other family members with extra digits. Now I'm worried it's associated with a syndrome, although nothing else appeared off in the 13 week ultrasound.

So, my question is, for all of you who were born with extra digits or who have had babies with extra digits, did you have to go through extra testing and if so were you as scared as me???
|

My son (age 2) was born with 6 toes on each foot and has a piece of skin on one hand that needs to be removed. He was also born with 3 holes in his heart that all closed before he was 3 months old. The 6 digits on his toes are fully functional and we were told to never remove them because it would only be cosmetic. He now wears regular shoes as long as they are a soft leather or are wide. There's no syndrome associated with his extra digits. In fact, he's very advanced for his age. he just turned 2 and the vocabulary of a 4 year old and can speak clear sentences, etc. ppl think he's extremely cute and even count his toes sometimes. If the extra digit is all they see I wouldn't be alarmed just by that. Great news is you know now and won't be told when the baby is delivered.
|
Quick Reply