Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

How to stop addiction to Ephedrine ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
Has anyone been addicted to ephedrine? What can you do to quit taking it? Please anyone ............. thanks, M.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rubberbandman84
|

replied September 29th, 2007
Experienced User
Sorry, No Clue.
Try cold turkey?

Can't kill you as much as the addiction, I guess..

Good luck and think positive.

Prayer helps!
|

its like any other drug go threw the twelve steps if you are really addicted it wont be easy it is so much more than just stoping the use of the drug you can look it up for free online or buy the book aa its not just for drinkers i hope this helps i loved a man who loved his drinking more than what we had but i tried to help and that are steps you will need to take
|

Re: Ephedrine Help!!!!!!!!
jusbenice wrote:
Has anyone been addicted to ephedrine? What can you do to quit taking it? Please anyone ............. thanks, M.

Could it help if I talked to my dr.?
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Ephedrine addiction
M.. I was severely addicted to ephedrine.. I was taking about 40 25 mg tablets every day.. I would seriously recommend going into a rehab so that you can wean off in a controlled environment.. No one knee anything about this drug when I quit.. There was no information on it whatsoever ... I do know that if you don't stop it will ultimately kill you.. I lost my mind and lost my wife and family.. When I had a moment of truth I realized what was happening and quit cold turkey after 14 years of taking.... I experienced the greatest hell anyone could fathom ... 7 long long months I suffered and fought my way through each hour of each day to keep from blowing my head off... All I could think of was how badly I wanted to die.. Please.. Whatever you do.. Get help! Do not try this on your own.. I am an extremely strong willed person and I barely made it.. God bless you.

Billy
|

replied October 4th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Ephedrine Help!!!!!!!!
jusbenice wrote:
jusbenice wrote:

Could it help if I talked to my dr.?

Talking to ANYONE helps. Whether it be friend, therapist or your loving pet. Get things off your chest, analyze what you are feeling. Get in touch with your emotions during withdrawal.

You are on the right path trying to reach out to others. Talking helps!
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2007
You Can Quit
Hi, I was addicted to ephedrine for 14 years, and I quit 6 months ago. Depending on your body, the withdrawl symptoms can be pretty tough. For me, I felt like I was walking through mud...I couldn't concentrate, and I was sooo tired. I had to take a 2-week leave of absence from work, and I slept a lot. But I started feeling better after about a week, then I had to re-train my brain so I wouldn't start taking them again when I felt tired. Now I drink coffee instead.

You can do it!! If you have any questions or just need some support, let me know and I will give you my email address. Good luck, and remember...I was hopelessly hooked on ephedrine, and if I can quit, you can too! Smile

Hugs,
LaDonna
|

replied May 16th, 2010
I would be very thankful for any help
Hi LaDonna,

I was recently asked by someone important to me to help her get off ephedrine, which she's been using for years - I think like 15. She wants to keep it private - both that she uses it and that she wants to get off it.

I realize and so does she that she may not be able to be 100% private because like you said in your story, you took off work for two weeks - so obviously her family will know.

I am hoping you'll receive this message and write me and give me some tips on how to help her. I'm hoping you can tell me honestly what else she can expect as to the withdrawal symptoms and how long they last.

And did you have to change your lifestyle after you stopped using the drug? She is very concerned that she will never be able to stop.

Thank you for your offer of help.

Best and warmest wishes to you.

-S (male)
|

replied June 5th, 2010
10 Months free of Ephedrine!
I was addicted to ephedrine for about 11 years. August 1, 2009 - I woke up and thought enough, I can't continue to go on like this - I felt like a drug fiend always making sure I had enough to get though the day. After taking it for so long, my body needed more and more. After awhile, ephedrine made me so moody and I didn't like the person I was turning into. If I didn't have ephedrine for a day then I was sleeping all day. I can't believe I've stopped for 10 months now because I never thought I would stop. Anyways, I was so tired for the first couple months, sometimes it was hard to muster up enough energy to hold a conversation at times, I did gain weight and I even had dreams about me taking ephedrine again, it's pretty sad that it was such a big part of my life. It's a little challenging for the first 2 to 3 months but it gets better, you get better and you feel it. I'm never going back!
|

replied June 7th, 2010
HI,

There are lot of recovery center to stop addiction. Its better to visit those centers for getting idea to stop addiction.

|

replied August 9th, 2010
Hi Dblek,

I have been on ECA stack(ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin) stack for 5 years on and off. I have quit for 2 years now, but since 6 months i noticed that i was developing horrible side effects. I got urinary problems like frequent urination, dribbling and leaking, weak urine flow and IBS. Also developed anxiety and panic attacks along with hypertension and am trying to cope with them right now. Would like to know whether you too experienced any such effects and how you dealt with them?
|

replied February 10th, 2011
Don't know what to do.......
I've been on ECA for 8 weeks now. I dropped lots of body fat, it really worked well. Stopped taking it yesterday with no problems so far. Today I run into serious food cravings, can't stop eating. I fear I gain back the fat I lost. Although I don't feel being addicted to it, I think about using ECA again in one or two weeks. On one hand I know I shouldn't but on the other I want to stay like I am right now.

Side effects appeared as mentioned above: Sleepiness, lethargy, occasional eye pressure and headache, desocialization (I feel I'm about to lose friends), and fat loss as the only POSITIVE effect.
|

replied March 25th, 2011
ephedrine addiction
STOP TAKING it and get help. My husband has been addicted for 12 years-our entire marriage. I finally kicked him out yesterday and am now delaing with even more of my own emotions at the thought of having to tell my daughter. My husband has had 10+ surgeries on his kidneys including stents that are painful all becuase of the kidney stones he had because of the ephedrine. PLEAS STOP TAKING IT.. YOU ARE KILLING YOURSELF
|

replied July 12th, 2011
HOW I STOPPED TAKING EPHEDRINE AND WHAT I FOUND OUT WHEN I DID
EPHEDRINE IS CHINESE MEDICINE. MOST COUNTRIES MADE IT ILLEGAL AND CLASSIFIED IT AS DANGEROUS AS CRACK OR HEROIN.
TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BECAUSE IT IS PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY HABIT FORMING. GET ON A DECENT ANTI DEPRESSANT AND A BENZODIAZAPINE. LET THEM DO TESTS BECAUSE THE STUFF CAN BUILD IN YOUR SYSTEM TO TOXIC LEVELS. WHEN YOU STOP AND THE CHEMICALS ARE PASSED HALF LIFE YOU WILL EXPERIENCE MASSIVE DEPRESSION, ANGER, AND PSYCHOTIC BEHAVIOR. THE DOCTOR CAN PRESCRIBE MEDICATION TO EASE THE WITHDRAWAL. DON'T DO IT COLD TURKY?
|

replied November 17th, 2011
I have been taking ephedrine hcl for 5 years in which highest dosage of 120mg down to 8mg. I realized that after losing the initial weight which was great, it was hard to maintain as it no longer worked as an appetite suppressant. I finally stopped taking ephedrine last week and have noticed that I have had increased anxiety levels to the point where I am now having panic attacks. I am now on medications to control these panic attacks as I no longer feel safe driving a car. My theory is that ephedrine keeps the body at a constant level of adrenaline arousal so we no longer experience a true adrenaline rush at times of crisis. So when a crisis occurs, the body reacts how it normally should and releases the adrenaline that we can struggle to cope with. I have never been an anxious person and never realized how debilitating a panic attack can be!!. I experienced rapid heart rate, tunnel/blurred vision, shakiness, leg weakness, fear and confusion as well as a detachment from reality. For a week I managed to calm myself down but then it got to the point I couldnt and then just thinking about driving again triggered an attack!!!!. Its awful to feel this way and dont know if its related to withdrawing from the ephedrine. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who have have the same experience.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Ephedrine
My Girlfriend is hooked on this stuff also. What can I do to help her get off of it?
|

replied April 7th, 2012
STOP
I used ephedrine for 15 years - from the age of 30 to 45. I have now been 9 months sober. At the peak - I was taking 50 - 25mg. pills a day. I was spending $120 dollars a day and couldn't go a day without them. My blood pressure was of the chart, my heart rate was always working over 100 beats per minute. I spent all the money our family had on this drug. $120 x 30 days = $3,600 a month. When I ran out of money I pawned anything I had of value even my car. My hands were constantly shaking, never-ending tremors. I would have dizzy spells and black-outs. Maybe once a week one of dizzy episodes would strike me - one time I passed out and my face was smashed on a cinder-block wall. I at times couldn't urinate and when I would it would mostly just dribble out. My kidneys suffered a lot of damage and I am lucky they didn't shut down. To sleep at night I had to take a ton of anything (benzo's, alcohol, ambien, nyquil) to sleep. Doing this every night I eventually became addicted to Valium and Clonipin which is even worse to with-drawl from. I started stealing money from my daughters because it got to the point I couldn't function at all without first having filled myself with this drug. Yes, there is a terrible with-drawl from ephedrine. Without it, I felt useless. I became suicidally depressed, life had no meaning. I lost my drive to do or accomplish anything during the day. I became just a physical form of nothing-ness without any value.
on my way to get the drug one day, I blacked out from an inhalant (computer duster) which I started using to deal with extreme anxiety and panic attacks (from with-drawl) and when I used and in-halant it was ONLY because - I had neither ephedrine or valium in my system. Why ? Because, I had already pawned everything, never had money - plus I had stole all I could from family.There was no way to go. I was destitute, and broke. I blacked out in my car,(from an in-halant- plowed into a van that was parked on the side of the road. I only lived because of my air bag. I broke 4 ribs, punctured my lung and was bleeding internally. I was at my end at this time in life and felt tortured every single day. My parents checked me into a 3 month in-patient treatment center, which saved my life. I am now 9 months sober, am back with my wife and 4 children and living the life that God has spared me. If you are addicted to ephedrine and can't quit and are consuming large amounts - taking it in the range of 10-50 pills a day you will eventually die. When you have huge dosages like I had in my system you heart at some point will blow up. Three things will kill you - 1. Suffer a brain anuerysm (stroke, or blood clot) 2. Heart attack or eventually leading to damage and congestive heart failure and 3. Kidney failure (your kidneys are constantly being over-worked to clear the drug from your system). If you are on it and you can barely urinate - well, that would be the bodies kidneys shutting down for good. None of this happens overnight, but over-time and consuming constant high amounts...it has to end some-where.
If you need help let me know. I can tell you what to do and how to quit. I was at death's door-step and now I have my life back. This is a warning to those that are getting just started - taking only a little ephedrine will lead to tolerance - which leads to extreme-over- dosages. You can not do it alone and must seek help. I'm letting you know my story, a road you do not want to travel down...a road that goes to a place called NO-WHERE !!
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
How could you spend $120 a day on 50 pills? 60 pills cost $13
|

replied May 16th, 2012
Until a couple of months ago, I was taking ~110 mg, 3x a day most days, for like 10 years. That's not as far over the 'therapeutic dose' (50-75 mg, 2x a day) as some people have been posting, but it's enough that I was concerned about adverse effects on my health over time (I'm 39). I also think it's contributed to anxiety issues that I'm now dealing with pretty effectively through therapy (and with a very, very low dose SSRI).

One of the things that made it hard to stop sooner is that SSRIs can make you a little sleepy. Others I know have had good luck with Provigil for that, so I added that(warning: it's very expensive, and not all insurance will cover for off-label use).

Guess what?! At the recommended dose it allowed me to completely discontinue ephedrine. No withdrawal, no nothing. Provigil promotes wakefulness without CNS stimulation (in most people) and has far fewer side effects than ephedrine. Normal sleep, no speediness, no anxiety. (Again, not everyone reacts this well to it, but most do). Now I only use ephedrine about once every 2 weeks, and at about half the dose I was taking before. (Of course the less you take, the less you need to take, because your tolerance goes away.)

Best of luck to you. As you've seen from the stories here, it's totally possible to get off it.
|

replied June 18th, 2013
Try this to quit ephedrine
Wow, I've taken it off and on for close to 25 years. 25-50mgs a day. I've gone months to years between at times. I've cycled off and on. Work down a half to a quarter of a tab every few days. You didn't start out taking a shitload of it, and you're not gonna get your adrenal glands functioning properly overnight.

I've been a competitive bodybuilder and ephedrine is a valuable tool. It can be used safely, however, there is a difference between use and abuse.

Just remember, too much of a good thing, is not a good thing. Just because 1 is good, it does not mean two is better. You can come off, but taper down slowly and I highly reccomend the following to help restore your body. Can you you gain fat? Yes, start walking daily and cut your carb intake in half. I usually have all protein meals until dinner. The carb meal before bed helps me sleep and not having carbs during the day allows me to stay lean as well as raise my natural growth hormone levels to enhance fat loss and natural energy.

VitaminD3 10,000 Iu daily
Schizandra Adrenal Complex
Green Tea
5 HTP
|

replied November 11th, 2013
Help please, my upstairs neighbour's daughter is throwing packs and packs of Ephedrine out her window. It is outside my window when she does this becuase she stays upstairs. She is 12 years old and she has got a major problem. Being a recovered addict myself, I am truly worried that if i do no tell her parents (whom I do not know at all) what is going on, she might have a lifetime of pain and suffering waiting for her. She walks around in the complex chuwing her tongue and succking her lips, with dilated pupils and she is jittery. She also frequents the drug dealer that stays a couple of houses away.

I only know this simply because I've been there. I know what is going on around me and I cannot help it, i just see these things.

I picked up 2 empty boxes outside my window last night. Generally it is a rule that every weekend I will find it. That means that she is taking close to 50 pills on a weekend. It is Sinutabs, the one with the codiene and Ephardrine in.

Again, this child is 12 years old. She is still a baby. What should I do? My husband says it is not my place, and I should not get involved.

I assure you I hav no interest in getting involved. I do however feel that someone needs to say something before she ruins her life, before she spends the next 10 years in a daze, and then all of a sudden wake up and realise that she has to start a life at 29 as if she had just left school, becuase there are years missing.

This bothers me at such a great level, it is all I can think about.

Advise please!!!
|

replied November 12th, 2013
Experienced User
Overcome Ephedrine Addiction
Ephedrine is commonly used as a stimulant, appetite suppressant, and to treat hypo tension associated with anesthesia. It is used to treat breathing problems, nasal congestion, low blood pressure problems. Ephedrine is also used for urine-control problems. It is a central nervous system stimulant. Some people may get addicted to it and can have side effects. It includes nervousness, anxiety, dizziness, headache, nausea, loss of appetite, or trouble sleeping. So, to avoid this take prescribed medication. The dosage of Ephedrine is based on the patient's medical condition and response to therapy. Consult a good health care professional as New Horizon Recovery.
|
Quick Reply