Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Wisdom Teeth Nerve Parastesia

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Im 28, and i have 4 impacted wisdom teeth. Ive been told that the risk for nerve damage is higher at my age, and now i scared to death to get them pulled. I just wasted a trip from florida to south carolina because i didnt know about this risk of parastesia and i wanted a second opinion before i get the surgery. Please, if anyone has had problems with this before, let me know about it and what you think i should do. i dont want to have nerve damage, and im thinking seriously about not getting them pulled. Sad I know most dentists will just say "oh its alright youll be fine" just to make some money and this worries me. Any thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2007
I'm 29, and I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled last year. Before the procedure, I suffered from bleeding and occasional pain. In fact one of the wisdom tooth was already severely decaying, which was why I was experiencing pain. So I decided to get that taken care of... like a man.

Anyway they too warned me that it was possible my nerves would be affected during the procedure resulting in permanent loss of sensation, especially if the roots of said wisdom teeth reached that far. But the risk was really low, something in the order of 1-2% chance of that happening. Of those 1-2%, 95%+ of them will eventually recover over time, and the rest will have to live with permanent numbness. Those were pretty good odds, so I agreed to the procedure. They had me sign papers anyway lol.

The whole thing broke down to two sessions. The first session I removed my upper and lower left pair. The second session, which was a week later, removed my upper and lower right pair. I argued to my dental surgeon that both my upper teeth were fine, and they didn't need to remove them. But they said if I kept them there, there'll be nothing to bite against, and they'll just drop down after a while (which would be nasty). So I agreed.

It was really scary the first time, the multiple injections weren't pleasant, but thankfully I didn't feel a thing when they were drilling down. I was kindof expecting them to slip somewhere & have the drill hit my cheeks or gums. Never happened, they were really patient. It took something like 2-3 hours before everything was done. They asked if I wanted to keep my broken leftovers, and I said hell yes. It's been a while since the tooth-honey visited me, and I'm a big man now, so I want to show her my appreciation in a manly way.

So then they had me lightly bite on cotton pads and told me to change it once I got home. I got a weeks worth of painkillers and cotton pads, and away I went. It wasn't swollen at first, and I thought I was one of the lucky ones lol. It ballooned up the next day hah. I was told not to chew on anything for a few days, and to very gently gargle and rinse with salted lukewarm water every once in a while. The upper side (which wasn't impacted), healed rather quick. Within 3 days it felt fine. My lower one however got a bit infected & I became a little sick. I took some antibiotics and was cured in a few hours.

The whole thing wasn't as bad as I thought. The painkillers really helped. And so the following week, I walked in with a big smirk in my face. Injections & drills, none of that fazed me. The rest of the week went without incident, and I could chew food again without bleeding! Saying it was unbelievably worth it is an extreme understatement. It is best described in one word RAARRRRR!!!

Now following the procedure they had xrays taken of whats left, to check on the progress. All four pits were nicely healing, with a small bone pit (formed from the blood clot) where the cavities once were. Unfortunately they also saw that one of the adjacent teeth had a big cavity, caused by the wisdom tooth pushing into it. I'm still taking care of that today. I already had the nerves and stuff partially removed from that teeth because it had started to decay. In fact I had to wait 3 days before I could get treatment because they were closed on the weekend. It was the worst thing I've ever felt. Something close to having needle continuously pricking on the same wound over and over again for the whole day. Thankfully thats gone now, so I'm waiting for them to call back to see whats next.

My only regret was that I didn't do it sooner, because had I done so, I would've been able to save my adjacent molar from any damage.

Well thats that, hope you make the right decision and have them suckers taken out.
|

replied August 4th, 2009
impacted wisdom teeth
I have 2 impacted wisdom teeth on the bottom I went to the dentist on the 17th of July to get all four removed well thats what I thought anyway once I got thier the anstesia wasn't working for me I guess I was flipping out but do not recall any of that The dentist woke me up 40 minutes later to tell me that he could only remove the top left tooth and he did a coronectomy on the bottom left tooth to top it all off I got home and realized he didn't do stitches on the bottom now three weeks later it still hasn't healed I have the slice mark that goes down into my gums to where he removed the impacted tooth now I'm to scared to go back to get the other side done you would think since he cut a hole their he would have stitched it up.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
I'm 21 and I wasn't even warned about the nerve damage. I've missed 2 semesters of college so far and can't even do day to day things because the nerve damage and pain are sooooooo extreme. Just make sure you find and experienced surgeon and express your concern to him. I wish I had known the Dr. beforehand but I just found some random guy who could fit me in before I had to go back to school
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Nerve damage fear resulting from wisdom tooth extraction
I too am faced with this situation and am not sure what to do. I'm 27 and have 4 impacted teeth that have been recommended for removal. The top ones are into my sinus cavities and the bottom are BOTH wrapped around the nerve. I've been warned of the possible (and probable) outcome...permanent nerve damage. I don't want them out since they don't bother me, but I've got bone loss in my jaw already and have a cyst forming as well. The surgeon told me that it was my choice as he couldn't gauge how important sensation is to me. I don't know what to do wither and am deathly afraid of loosing sensation. I'm getting married in 7 months and can't imagine not feeling our first kiss, tasting food, knowing when I'm a slob and knowing the feeling of kissing my (future) kids goodnight. Anyone who has been in this situation, please help me out with some insight!!
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Annie,

I am also 27 years old, and both of my bottom wisdom teeth are either directly next to or wrapped around the nerves. Some oral surgeons believe that all wisdom teeth are evil and that they should be removed at all costs. However, my oral surgeon explained that there are other options that should be considered before removing the teeth, especially when there is a high probability of causing permanent numbness of the lower lip/chin area. Because my lower left wisdom tooth has been causing inflammation of the gums, my surgeon has recommended that I undergo a procedure that removes the inflamed gum tissue surrounding the tooth. This will expose the wisdom tooth and allow for better cleaning of the area, which will also prevent decay of the wisdom tooth or the tooth directly adjacent to it.
He also explained that while my upper teeth are close to the sinuses, the chance of having sinus problems associated with removal of the upper wisdom teeth is much less likely to occur. He said if I continue having problems with the lower wisdom tooth after this procedure, then I could try removal of the upper wisdom tooth on that side because it may also be pressing on that tooth or the surrounding cheek tissue.
I am scheduled to have this procedure on Wednesday morning (11/3/10). I can't remember the exact name of the procedure, but I would recommend asking your oral surgeon about other options before undergoing wisdom tooth extraction!
Hope this helps!
|