Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Very Concerned About Cheekbones - tingling burning sensation

Hello, I'm 20 year old male, started to feel tingling / burning sensation / pressure in my cheekbones in winter 2007, there were small headaches too, after few months headaches somewhat gone but pressure sensation in cheekbones increased and became more frequent. In summer 2007 it became more and more frequent and now it never goes. These days I do always feel my cheekbones, whether it is a small pressure or slight pain and I've started to feel slight headaches again but maybe thats a result of depression.

I've visited a few doctors: neurologist - the medicine didn't help, then checked for sinus infection (don't know how the doctor called in english) - no infection found and a dentist - my teeth are ok.

These sensations cause me some discomfort but the problem that I've concerned about is - if something physicaly happening to my cheekbones. I would think that they are widening, so I like to ask if that's actually possible. It's hard to notice a difference (if there is any) by just looking into photos and mirror but I've noticed one thing - the rims of my glasses are now contacting with sides of my face (it didn't before).

Both my mother and grandmother have wide set of cheekbones so do I but I've started to notice the prominance of my cheekbones like half a year back... maybe because of a psychological effect Confused

By the way, winter 2007 at the same time when it started there was a pressure / aching in my forehead as well, then after some time I've noticed a small bump inline with my forehead sinus (basicaly 2 bumps above eyebrows) but I'm not concerned about it as I know that this kind of bumps appear as we grow, however maybe that's somehow connected?

Next weekend I'll visit a neurologist again and try to explain that this could be not a nerve problem (if it would be a nerve problem then most likely I would feel pain / pressure just on one side of my face?) so I'll update this thread with the info from neurologist.

Any assumptions or suggestions greatly welcome. The thing that kills me is uncertainty. If i would know what's the problem (even if it's a cancer) I would accept and deal with it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
I'll try to give some input to your questions.
Can you connect the appearance of tingling sensation for the first time with some certain thing that had happened winter 2007?
Experiencing burning or tingling sensation is known as paresthesias or abnormal nerve sensation and can be caused by nerve damage due to pressure, nerve entrapment or disease.
This can be also, a complication due to some coexisting diseases. Do you suffer from some disease? Do you have some other symptoms present? You've mentioned a depression? Are you depressed? Anxiety can be a cause of tingling sensation on your face, too.
Places where you are experiencing symptoms(cheekbones, line between forehead and nose and forehead) are matching with location of paranasal sinuses(the frontal sinuses are in the lower forehead above the nose, the maxillary sinuses are in the cheekbones on either side of the nose, the ethmoid sinuses are beside the upper nose, between the eyes and the sphenoid sinuses are behind the nose, in the center of the skull.
You've mentioned that you've tested for sinus infection, so, did the doctor recommended x-raying sinuses?
Maybe, you have some process going on in some of the paranasal sinuses.
Do you have a runny nose or nosebleeds?Check your nose cavities for a lump or sore inside the nose that does not heal. Are you experiencing swelling or other trouble with the eyes or pain in the upper teeth and pain or pressure in the ear?
Do you find you cheekbones red, swollen or tender? Can you noticed if the pain and pressure symptoms worse with the head upright and bending forward and better when reclining?

Waiting for your post!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied September 28th, 2007
MandMs wrote:
Hi!
Can you connect the appearance of tingling sensation for the first time with some certain thing that had happened winter 2007?

No, I guess not. Well maybe it can be connected with what happened in summer 2006 - written below.
MandMs wrote:

Experiencing burning or tingling sensation is known as paresthesias or abnormal nerve sensation and can be caused by nerve damage due to pressure, nerve entrapment or disease.

How could they get intrapped? And do you mean the physical pressure (hit)?
MandMs wrote:
This can be also, a complication due to some coexisting diseases. Do you suffer from some disease? Do you have some other symptoms present? You've mentioned a depression? Are you depressed? Anxiety can be a cause of tingling sensation on your face, too.

Yes, I'm depressed because the whole thing is so complicated and the doctors didn't provide any real help so far, I don't know what to expect. Sorry, my english isn't perfect, what does coexisting mean? Other symptoms... that meay be the other topic but well my heart beat rate is a bit too frequent. It always was but in summer 2006 I had unpleasant incident - me and my friends decided to smoke some weed (for the first time), i had more than they did and it brought me to unawareness of surrounding area, narowed vision and i was like fading out so I was kinda scred then my heart beat started to rise pretty much and then I though that with this heartbeat i might actually get an inner blood leak in my head, then I've become sure of that so I thought that I was going to die. It was the scariest moment in my life and it lasted at least 20 minutes. After that I felt slight headache (in one upper side of head).

The next day and for a whole week all was fine but then I've started to have slight panic / anxiety attacks which seem to be caused by increasing heart beat but I dont know if they can be called panic attacs because I wasn't panicked, I just felt bad and dizzy and couldn't calm down my heart. After a month or so these attacks became much worse and it felt almost like that time after I smoked weed, if I remember they were accompanied by headache. It continued till spring 2007. Now it's gone, I do feel slight similar symptoms at times but that's not embarrasing.

One more - more related symptom is that when I was a child, If i was getting nervous I was feeling a slight pressure in my left cheekbone. I don't recall since when I began to notice that.
MandMs wrote:
Places where you are experiencing symptoms(cheekbones, line between forehead and nose and forehead) are matching with location of paranasal sinuses(the frontal sinuses are in the lower forehead above the nose, the maxillary sinuses are in the cheekbones on either side of the nose, the ethmoid sinuses are beside the upper nose, between the eyes and the sphenoid sinuses are behind the nose, in the center of the skull.
You've mentioned that you've tested for sinus infection, so, did the doctor recommended x-raying sinuses?.

Yes, I had sinus x-ray and the Dr. didnt notice any trace of infection but as I was complaining about these symptoms she gave me anti-infection nose spray medicine which, needless to say, didn't help.
MandMs wrote:
Do you have a runny nose or nosebleeds?Check your nose cavities for a lump or sore inside the nose that does not heal. Are you experiencing swelling or other trouble with the eyes or pain in the upper teeth and pain or pressure in the ear?
Do you find you cheekbones red, swollen or tender? Can you noticed if the pain and pressure symptoms worse with the head upright and bending forward and better when reclining?

I had a sinus infection 10 years before and nosebleeds like 7 years before, sinus infection was cured and nosebleeds (left cavity) were stopped (Dr. burned the sore) but nosebleeds (same cavity) renewed 2 times, both times sore was burned and since the last time - I had no bleeds.

In winter 2007 I've used to have my cheekbones red along with the burning sensation when I come home or get into a warm environment from a coldness outside. And as I've mentioned my cheekbones seem to be a bit swolen (wider than they were before).

No, i have no problems with ears or eyes, no runny nose and my symptoms (pressure in cheekbones) doesn't change relavitely to head position or movement

Thank you so much for your interest in my problem.
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi
Sorry I haven't written to you for a long period!
As I mentioned in my first post, anxiety and panic can be reason for having tingling sensation in your cheekbones and unusual sensation elsewhere in your body.
You wrote that you can't call your attacks panic because you wasn't panic at that time. You should know that panic attacks are sudden onset of fear with or without little provoking stimulus, without worrying or obvious reason.
Panic attacks for the first time are usually triggered by certain event. In your case that was "the accident in summer 2006". Even, stimulants such as caffeine or nicotine, particularly in overuse, can act as triggers.
Anxiety attacks and panic attacks are the most common emotional disorders and experiencing them is far more intense than having anxiety or the feeling of being 'stressed out' that most people experience.
All the symptoms you have mentioned that you have experienced at the accident moment and after that till know are physical, emotional, mental symptoms that are characteristic for this condition.
How are you feeling know?
Have you consulted doctor for the panic attacks?
Please, write me back!
I'll try to be supportive and helpful!
Marija
|

replied October 28th, 2007
Hi, thank you for your informative post. I think there are 2 problems, one is panic attacks, which is gone I think and the other is sensations in cheekbones or something what its being caused by.

Panic attacks: I don't experience them any more but if I have a strong cigarette or smoke two in a row then I have a bit shaky hands and dizziness. But that doesn't concern me and I'm ok with it.

Sensations: However, sensations in cheekbones aren't gone, I do experience pressure all the time and... the word burning may be wrong here because it's rather coldness in bone type of sensation. I also experience slight headaches sometimes, a heavyness in the head. I've mentioned that I don't have a runny nose but now I have a cold and my nose is quite runny.

I've remembered the event which most likely caused problems with my cheekbones, if its some kind of infection - I've deprived my nose of all the nose hairs in witner 2007 Embarassed

By the way, you've mentioned that cheekbones can get swollen. Does 'swollen' here means an increase in size? If yes then is it a soft tissue (skin) that gets swollen or a bone? Please tell me more about that.

Many thanks.
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry, I missed to answer some of your previous questions.
Nerve entrapment means chronic compression as a repetitive “slapping” insult or a “rubbing/sliding” phenomenon.
Coexisting means something that exist along with other thing.
In other words, if you have some other medical problems along with the problem we are talking about.
Have you visited an Ear, Throat, Nose doctor recently?
Did you practice follow ups after you got rid of your nasal sores( I guess those sores were nasal polyps-benign nasal growths )?
Swollen means expanded, increased in size.
Soft tissue( muscles, skin layers ) are swelling.
If it is due to sinus infection, swelling of the cheekbones is also accompanied with redness and tenderness of the same area.
|