Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia - chances of coming back after treatment ? (Page 1)

User Profile
ok so I am 32 your old mail and have known I have had a hernia in my groin for about two months. It now getting herder to go to the toilet and now am waiting to get a letter from the hospital to have a consultation.

what I would like to know is could after treatment what is the chances of it coming back. I have herd its comen for that to happen and realy would not wont that as its quit uncomfortable and some times painful to go to the toilet.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2007
lol I can see that this has not much chains in getting answered.

most of the threads hear have no replies Sad

Well I hopefully will fined some answers from my friend google Wink If I do all come back and let you know any way.

This place reminds me of the NHS lol "understaffed"
|

replied October 8th, 2007
I have had two hernias that I got operated on, and have had three since. So chances of them coming back? With me high, with others maybe not so much. It depends on the repair, and the reason why you have a hernia in the first place. Do you have weak connective tissue? That and if you are overweight chances of having another hernia are quite high.
If you have a repair and it is available on the NHS get one where they use a net that dissolves after 6 weeks. All other repairs can do more harm than good, at least in my experience and opinion.
To help with the toilet going, press the hernia in before and whilst being on the loo, that takes off the pressure and the pain. Push the bulge in as much and as often as you can, you don't want the hole to get bigger if you can avoid it, and avoid heavy lifting and anything that puts major strain on it.
You can take hawthorn, that relieves symptoms and pain, but check for counterindications and drug interactions first. Generally it is safe but you need to check in case you have any condition that makes it dangerous to take it. It is good for the heart but also for all other muscles, therefore for your groin area too. It really helps though, it takes away at least most of the pain if not all and lifts the hernia. There is another thread further down the line that I posted called "hernia pain, healing and symptom relief" or something like that, it is on page two or three, you can read a bit up in that if you want, it may be helpful.
I have lived with my hernias on and off for about 8 years now, and really, I live with them about as well as I did after my operations, and if I don't have to I won't have another operation for sure.
If you have an operation I would think about going private, it will probably take ages for you to see someone.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2007
Thank you so much for replying back to me Smile I am not overweight but my muscles are week round there do to a virus that I had as a child. So that could explain why I have one. I think it makes it weirs if I do a lot of walking. See I walk with a limp and I fined it a strain to walk any distance any way. Thanks for the hint on going to the toilet. I well do that. I fined that the worst part of it. I am not in pain right now but have been with it coz I went out drinking and did a bit of walking at the same time and the next day I was in some pain and going to the toilet was not a very nice experience at all. It took about a week to get right again. I am taking it easy now tell I have the OP. I got an appointment at the end of the month at the hospital. So I well just see what they say.

And thank you again for replying. It was very much appreciated.

OH just one moor thing. I nearly for got.

Is it normal to get constipated a lot with this? coz I have been getting constipated a lot and have changed my diet quit a lot but still finding it difficult to empty my bowels every day. This in its self can get quit uncomftorable.
|

replied October 12th, 2007
Hi, I am glad if I can help.
You should take silica as a supplement, you can buy it out of "the health store" in liquid form. It helps to strengthen the connective tissue, which will be a big part of your problem. Taking zinc and vitamin c supplements also help with this, and the hawthorn, like I said. You have to keep the silica liquid in the fridge though, and you may have to take it for the rest of your life to keep you connective tissue stable. You will have to take breaks in between though, every 6 months or so for a month, that is important in order to keep your kidneys sound.
Really, take the silica, I can only emphasise this as it helps with the root of the problem and will help in preventing you having a recurrence, although, obviously it is no guarantee either.

As for the constipation, I am not sure, but I think it may be related to the hernia, I myself never really experienced this. I eat very healthy though, only whole grain foods and fruit etc. and hardly ever any chocolate. You should see that you eat lots of vegetables, fruit and whole grains too to help.
Also eating probiotic yogurt, that will probably help a great deal. Apple juice really helps quicken things up too. Smile

Once again, go and buy the silica and take it regularly, it is just a food supplement and is in our diet anyway, just not in high enough dosages for some of us.

Try and push the bulge in whenever you can, some exercise is good, as long as you keep it light. If you can do anything about the limp, then you should as this will put strain on the area, which won't be good after the operation either.
Let me know how you get on and after your operation too if you don't mind.
I hope everything goes well for you!
Lena
|

replied November 8th, 2007
Going Back
I am a female and had a femoral hernia repair in July that didn't take so I am going back for a second repair, this time with the mesh. The surgery was not so bad and I didn't have much pain after. I could feel that just about every movement has some impact on the area since it's a 'core area' of muscles. I thought I was very careful after the operation but I knew right away when the hernia was back. It's a pain in the rear. I love to excersise but I'm fearful now. Anyway, best of luck to you and I love your kitty with the headphones. BTW, I really don't mean this to sound the wrong way, but your spelling could use lots of help...just for your own sake.
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
If you are getting constipated, it could be that the hernia is making the passage narrower, and the foods you are eating are not able to push through due to a lack of roughage. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and do not eat meat. Anything that has a high transit time, like meat, takes a long time to go through the digestive system and can stuck in there. I gave up meat some years ago, although I still eat some chicken and fish, as they have a much lower transit time than meat (e.g. beef, lamb).
Look at this site for a hernia diet: http://www.groin-hernia.com/herniabible/he rnia-diet.html
Also avoid too much wheat, as wheatflour mixed with water forms a type of glue, which can slow down your intestines as well.
Avoid overeating and do not smoke or take drugs. Smoking reduces your vitamin C levels. Vitamin C is essential for health. Smoking also weakens the connective tissue.

Lena121, I have not tried silica, but will look into that. I suffer from inguinal hernia, right groin, just above the leg. It sometimes hurts a little, sometimes not. It tends to bulge a bit more when I need to expel stools, but sometimes it almost seems like there is no hernia there at all. But I think it is getting bigger when it bulges, although not to the point of a strangulation.

I have surgery scheduled of 18 December, although I am concerned that the mesh they put in will not help, or cause terrible pain. If I can find another way to not have surgery I will. Some people made some good suggestions here, e.g. at http://ehealthforum.com/health/ptopic71642 0.html
Also there are exercises at http://www.groin-hernia.com/herniabible/ex ercises.html, some of which I have started doing. I hope they are helpful, as they aim to strengthen the muscles that are weak, i.e. those that allowed the hernia to develop. Best not to overdo it though, as I do not want to make the hernia worse.
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
You can download the hernia exercises in a PDF at http://www.drdaves.org/hernia/hernia_exerc ises.pdf
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
The exercises may or may not be beneficial. After doing the exercises on some days, on those days my hernia seemed to be bulging more. So if you try the exercises and it seems that the hernia is getting worse, I suppose you should stop the exercises. Maybe the exercises will work for some people but not for others.
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Hi and thanks for all the replies. I know about the spilling elizlou, am working on it P Wink

davidak Thanks for all the links. I well take a look when I got moor time Smile

Lena121 Of cours I well come back and tell you all how it whent.

Well I have changed my diet and are now having less trouble with going to the toilet Smile

I am going in hospital on the 26 of this moth for the OP. I have been told am at a 10% chance of it coming back due to weak mussels.

Am glad to see that elizlou dident have much pain after the OP, That is one thing am dreading.

Well be back at some point to say how it all whent. Wish me luck, am a week away from the OP

You just know them butters are going to love slicing me open lol
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Hope the operation goes well, Bluey.
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2007
Hi all, Well I have had the op and after staying at my parents home for 5 days I have just got back home and hurting just a litol but doing ok..

Went into theater at 3pm back out of theater at 5:20pm and home for 7pm,, I was still not with it. Guss they had a nuff off me by then lol am glad to Smile

I have the stitches out 10 days after so only 5 days left.

I have had mesh thats been reinforced so I hope it dose not come back. I would not wont to go fro this again.

If any one would like to know anything just ask and all be happy to help if I can. I should say that I only come to this thread and none other on this sight. Maybe all look around and give some feed back of my own experience to others on the sight ones am a bit better. Still hurts to be sate up for to long right now. All tho am not taken any pain killers to day and ts not been to bad.

Thank you for all your support. Good links and good friendly advise Smile

All the best and I hope we all stay hernia free
|

User Profile
What happened with the stitches?
I thought sometimes they do not use stitches.
|

User Profile
yea, I have stitches all tho am not sure how many and there still covered with dressing. I get to take that off Monday and have a bath/shower. That I cernt what for.
Stripe wash just dose not feel clean anuff for me lol

I don't have to go back to the hospital for them to be taken out tho. The nurse at my doctors is doing it
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2007
Bluey, how did you feel when you got home after the operation? Did you have someone stay with you for 24 hours?
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Did They Use Mesh?
I was wondering if they used mesh to repair your hernia. If so what type (brand)?
I've had a couple hernias and I am suffering terrible with nerve damage for 2 reasons 1. the doctor cut the nerves (he admitted this) and 2. there are a lot problems with the meshes on the market today. I do not by any means want to scare you. Please listen to your body.
I know nerves get cut during any operation(I've had over 20 operations for different problems and have never suffered like this) he and or the meshes made this problem worse. I've been like this for over a year now.
|

User Profile
Sorry to hear that butterfly, operations suck I know. I have had 5 all together. Only one for the Hernia tho. The others where for different stuff. I hope that's it with me.

Well I have no idea what kinder mesh they used. All I know is that they told me it was reinforced mesh. So I don't know if that would tell you anything.
|

Extremely eHealthy
bluey If you can find out what type of mesh was used it might help you down the road in the event any problems arise. I hope for your sake you don't endure this misery I and many other are going through.

How are you feeling?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2007
Oh am feeling fine thank you Smile

I have the stichers out tomorrow morning Smile

I hope I don't have any moor problems with this as well butterfly. Its not a nice thing to go fro and I am aware that if this goes wrong then the chances are that next time it well as well. So am doing as litol as possible at the minute to make sure that don't happen.

I am sorry to hear its not all going straight forward for you. I would truly hate to be going fro a nightmare like that.
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2007
I had my hernia surgery yesterday (Tues 18 Dec 2007) at the Royal Free Hospital. There were some delays in getting through the operations, so mine was later than expected, but the surgery went well and I am now recovering at home. There was some pain at first that was hard to bear, but painkillers helped.
I am not eating much yet, but drinking okay and urinating frequently without problems.
I am a bit worried about being constipated because of the painkillers, so I have to be careful to eat roughage food like fruit and not take too many painkillers.
|