Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Where's the Quit Smoking Post Smoking is Drug like any other

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
I'm curious as to why the quit smoking post was removed? Was it because of the person's wbsite or because quitting smoking belongs in the lifestyle section of the forums?

That's really a bummer. I wrote a lot of information that might help someone quit smoking in my response to that post.

Quitting smoking should be in the addiction and recovery section or in the mental health section along with all the other drug addictions.

Having it under lifestyle along with fitness and cosmetic surgery really trivializes smoking.

Smoking is an addiction just like other drugs.

It is even more destructive than all other addictions in the U.S.

400,000 smokers die every year from smoking in the U.S.

That is more than all the drug and alcohol overdoses. Drunk driving deaths. Gun related deaths. Homicides. Suicide and Car accident deaths and combined.

I know that other drugs and alcohol can ruin people's lives, but so can smoking. Just because a smoker doesn't reach rock bottom the same way other drug users do, doesn't mean that they don't reach rock bottom. It is just that when a smoker reaches rock bottom it is usually too late.

But I have seen people have arms and legs amputated because of smoking and still continue to smoke. My grandfather had lung cancer and smoked up unitl about three days before he died and only because he was too weak. My grandmother is on oxygen and still smokes. She takes off the mask so she can suffocate hersefl even more by inhalinh cigarettes smoke. My stepdad had heart surgery. Almost all his heart valves were clogged from smoking and he still continues to smoke.

Quitting smoking deserves to be in this section. Not in a section with Yoga and such.

Especially since smoking is tied to depression and linked to schizoprenia and those to topics are in this section.

Sorry, just venting out loud.

Eric
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I hear you Eric…

I have gone cold turkey off Alcohol, off Heroin and crystal meth, not all at the same time, at different times, and I found quitting smoking harder to do than any of those other drugs. It is a real drug and one does get real strung out on it… That is a fact.

But…

I never came too, the back of my head glued to the floor in my own dried vomit because I smoked a pack of Kools.

If those other drugs you talked about were legally available at the corner convenience store and about 27-28% of the population were strung out on them, they would make smoking look like a walk in the park! I guarantee it.

The different classes of drugs aren’t even in the same league with each other.

I don’t care if people post about quitting smoking here, I may even have some advice on that subject, I smoked for years, and haven’t in over 20 years. But if I was forced (thank God I’m not) to pick between active alcoholism and smoking, where do I light up?

Just my two cents worth
Richard
|

replied September 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Hi Richard,

I hear whay you're saying. My point was just that the quitting smoking section should not be under lifestyles.

Putting it into a category with Yoga and facelifts seems a bit odd. Smoking is not a lifestyle. Smoking is not a habit. It is an addiction.

Though it is not an addiction that will not most likely get people to wreck their cars because they are impaired, or steal to maintain that addiction.

It shouldn't be treated as a nasty little habit. Being in the lifestyle section makes it seem that way and it is this thinking among people trying to quit smoking that causes a lot of failure quitting.

Eric
|

replied September 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Now that I think about it, maybe quitting smoking ought to have it’s own forum. I know, we all know, someone who wants to quit, who has tried to quit and yet are still smoking.

Like I said, it is one tough addiction to give up.

I know the major physical stuff is over in 3 or 4 days, But I remember sitting in my car almost two years after I quit, and I was just watching this guy across from me opening up a pack of smokes. You know, whipping open that little red string on the wrapper, and tapping the entire pack into the palm of his hand. And the most intense urge to smoke came over me just watching someone else going through the routine of lighting up. I was really surprised how long the physiological stuff hangs on.

That stuff has no effect on me now, but there was a time…

Richard
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2007
Advanced Support Team (online)
Dear Eric,

We're considering moving the Quit Smoking Forum - where do you think it fits best? Please PM me, send a suggestion to us via the Suggestion Forum or send us a User comment form...

In addition, what is the URL of the moved post? I'm not quite sure what you've referenced, and I can correct the error and copy a smoking post to both the Addiction, Recovery and Stop Smoking forums

- Lee @ Admin

replied October 15th, 2007
I haven't smoked ever. Really happy about that cuz I watched my husband try to quit over and over again for 20 years! He finally did it 5 years ago. I guess the difference with a nicotine addiction is that you are able to function day to day...no "under the influence" behavior. Yeah, not so good for the health...but it's not ruining lives (I'm not counting cancer, etc). Anyway...my husband's last attempt to quit smoking utilized Wellbutrin and nicotine patches. He also embarked on this last effort while on vacation....avoiding work stress. He says he no longer fantasizes about having a cigarette. He once quit for 6 years and went back to smoking! It had a grip on him for a long, long time. Just keep trying to quit. Try different methods. It will eventually happen!
|

replied October 20th, 2014
(online)
Re: Where's the Quit Smoking Post Smoking is Drug like any other
UCanQuit wrote:
I'm curious as to why the quit smoking post was removed? Was it because of the person's wbsite or because quitting smoking belongs in the lifestyle section of the forums?

That's really a bummer. I wrote a lot of information that might help someone quit smoking in my response to that post.

Quitting smoking should be in the addiction and recovery section or in the mental health section along with all the other drug addictions.

Having it under lifestyle along with fitness and cosmetic surgery really trivializes smoking.

Smoking is an addiction just like other drugs.

It is even more destructive than all other addictions in the U.S.

400,000 smokers die every year from smoking in the U.S.

That is more than all the drug and alcohol overdoses. Drunk driving deaths. Gun related deaths. Homicides. Suicide and Car accident deaths and combined.

I know that other drugs and alcohol can ruin people's lives, but so can smoking. Just because a smoker doesn't reach rock bottom the same way other drug users do, doesn't mean that they don't reach rock bottom. It is just that when a smoker reaches rock bottom it is usually too late.

But I have seen people have arms and legs amputated because of smoking and still continue to smoke. My grandfather had lung cancer and smoked up unitl about three days before he died and only because he was too weak. My grandmother is on oxygen and still smokes. She takes off the mask so she can suffocate hersefl even more by inhalinh cigarettes smoke. My stepdad had heart surgery. Almost all his heart valves were clogged from smoking and he still continues to smoke.

Quitting smoking deserves to be in this section. Not in a section with Yoga and such.

Especially since smoking is tied to depression and linked to schizoprenia and those to topics are in this section.

Sorry, just venting out loud.

I quit drinking but waited untilI had a year sobriety to quit smoking as I didnt want to stress myself enough to drink again. I tried to quit smoking and failed until I discovered e-cigs andhavent smoked since try it it really worked for me, let me know how you do

Eric
|