Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Your Spirituality And Abortion (Page 1)

User Profile
Ok.. I am a bit tired of being preached at on each and every thread, I'm not xtian so stop trying to 'god' me to death, other then upsetting my digestion you are accomplishing nothing.

However it does bring up some interesting insights into spirituality and how it relates to the abortion topic.
I'd like to see some of these listed clearly, no attacks on someone's beliefs please, just a clear definition of why your spirituality may affect your pro-choice, pro-life or fence riding stance on the issue.

I'll start..

I am wiccan.
I follow my Rede which does not actually say anything about abortion so it really influences my position not at all. It does say what I do is ok as long as it harms no one else. I do not view an unborn or recent conception as a 'person' until the brain kicks in and it is self aware.

any others?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I have no religion. I do believe there is a lot more to this existence than I currently understand so I am still finding my way.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of abortion but I honestly don't know why.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I am Non- denomination Christian. I believe that abortion is wrong because I believe in God and I don’t think God would want unborn babies aborted. I don’t parade in front of an abortion clinic but I will speak what I feel about abortion.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Jincks, what led you to Wiccan-ism? (Is that a word? lol)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I am a buffet-ist, in that i believe that most religions build upon the same theme and have relatively important philosophical ideals. If I had to choose a religion I felt most comfortable with it would be Buddhism. I visit the buddhist temple several times a year (it's quite a journey-45 minutes into the mountains and then an hour hike to the temple). I believe that their concept of Karma and reincarnation makes the most sense to me. I understand that my being prochoice conflicts with their idea of "do no harm", but I understand that for me, carrying a child for 40 weeks would be doing great harm to me and my family. Furthermore, I won't force any type of religious doctrine on anyone because i know that the things you do in this world now will be paid for or gratified in the next life. I find that people are able to create their own cosmic punishment and don't need me to do it for them.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I am a Christian. The church we attend is Baptist, but I find myself disagreeing a lot with the preacher, so I probably don't belong there. Southern Baptists are pretty hard-core with their belief structures, and I'm more open-minded. My husband and I don't see eye to eye on either abortion or homosexual rights. He has the typical "the bible says it's wrong so people shouldn't be allowed to do it" mentality that I don't agree with at all, so we've agreed to disagree. I'm not sure if there's a Christian church in our state that I would feel more at ease with (I love our church!) so when certain things are mentioned that I don't agree with, I choose to agree to disagree with the preacher on those issues. Wink
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
That must be really difficult. IT was for that reason that I stopped attending church 4 times a year..
|

Extremely eHealthy
Jules wrote:
I have no religion. I do believe there is a lot more to this existence than I currently understand so I am still finding my way.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of abortion but I honestly don't know why.

That was a refreshingly honest answer, and I appreciate your posting it.

It mirrors my views until the last part. I am not uncomfortable with abortion and I know why.
|

Extremely eHealthy
meblonde01 wrote:
I am Non- denomination Christian. I believe that abortion is wrong because I believe in God and I don’t think God would want unborn babies aborted. I don’t parade in front of an abortion clinic but I will speak what I feel about abortion.

Why do you think God let's so many spontaneous abortions happen? For every live birth, 8 or 9 "babies" were spontaneously aborted/never implanted.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I don't know what my exact religious denomination would be.
I believe what I believe. I think there MIGHT be a higher being, but there is no way to know for sure until I die. I don't believe all the things in the bible because to me, it's just a bunch of stories/fables. Fables as in a story with a moral in the end.

I think people should believe what they want-hence why I don't go to church anymore. Here in the south, religious beliefs are pushed on people, which is wrong to me.

I don't have a problem with abortion, as long as it's not used as a form of birth control. I think there is a need for them and it should stay legal so women have a SAFE way to receive them.

As for the irresponsible people out there who just think abortion is a way out of taking care of your responsibility, they should be smacked in the head with a bible---or something.
|

Extremely eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
I am a Christian. The church we attend is Baptist, but I find myself disagreeing a lot with the preacher, so I probably don't belong there. Southern Baptists are pretty hard-core with their belief structures, and I'm more open-minded. My husband and I don't see eye to eye on either abortion or homosexual rights. He has the typical "the bible says it's wrong so people shouldn't be allowed to do it" mentality that I don't agree with at all, so we've agreed to disagree. I'm not sure if there's a Christian church in our state that I would feel more at ease with (I love our church!) so when certain things are mentioned that I don't agree with, I choose to agree to disagree with the preacher on those issues. Wink

What does he say when you point out the fact that the Bible also tells slaves to bey their masters?

Does your husband (personal question alert, don't answer if you don't want to) also think you two should have sex ONLY when you want an additional child?

Were your differences as apparent before you were married, or did one of you change?
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I was born and rasied as Catholic, but when I got out of the clutches of brainwashing (I mean Catholic) elementary school, I started to develop personal non-religion based beliefs that conflicted with the ones I was taught as a child. I also became an evolutionist and quit believing in God because I felt that the belief that some creature no one had ever even seen created everything we know to exist today was ridiculous.

Also, I couldn't deal with a religion that felt it was acceptable to dictate how many children a couple could have (anti-contraception and anti-abortion), when people could have sex (anti-premarital sex), and who could get married (anti-gay marriage).

As far as abortion in general, I'm fully supportive of it under any circumstances. I've never heard of anyone getting an abortion just to know what the experience feels like, but even if that was their reasoning, then that's their choice and theirs only, and I feel no religion should have the grounds to dictate the choices someone makes about their own life.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Jules wrote:
Jincks, what led you to Wiccan-ism? (Is that a word? lol)

TO many unanswered questions to start with..I kept being told to 'have faith' when I wanted answers then a traumatic event really woke me up to the fact that I didn't believe a god could exist and let such things happen. I had been told only a certain type of people had such things happen to them; there was no help or healing there. THere was condemnation and assurances of 'gods will'.. god and I have a score to settle on that one if it existed.

I learned gradually about options; I liked the peaceful nature of the wiccan system; no demands, no church days, encouragement to find answers not being petted on the head and told to 'have faith'.
That bad things happend to good people; that there was no need to demand obedience and tolerance of others was actually a good idea and there was nothing wrong with me for thinking so.. basically unapproved advertising spam and openess perked my interest.
I started to learn more and by the time I was 14 I knew what path made sense to me.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I am agnostic. I don't know, and I don't think anyone else knows either.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I was raised Catholic. I remained Catholic for quite sometime... all through highschool, too. Then I became acquainted with Catholic Doctrine pertaining to homosexuality. And THEN I came out of the closet. Seeing the conflict between the way I was, and the way the church was telling me to be, I left. I still love many facets of Catholicism, but I am NOT Catholic. I study comparative religion full time and love it to death. Because of this, I consider myself, too, as a "buffet-ist" as someone previously stated (I like that term a lot, mind if I borrow it!?). I think every religion is an attempt to legitimize, experience and understand the exact same 'ultimate truth'.

Anyways, how does this pertain to abortion? As a result of my beliefs: I don't like abortion, and wished it didn't exist. However, it does, and, in certain circumstances, it is warranted. I respect the right to choose, and am a very staunch supporter of ALL choices women have when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. I don't now how that ties in with my spirituality, but there you have it.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
futureshock wrote:
AyaMiyaki wrote:

What does he say when you point out the fact that the Bible also tells slaves to bey their masters?

Does your husband (personal question alert, don't answer if you don't want to) also think you two should have sex ONLY when you want an additional child?

Were your differences as apparent before you were married, or did one of you change?

Well we've gotten to a point now where we just don't discuss hot topics, because I can't convince him he's wrong and he can't convince me I'm wrong. But we've known for years (pre-marriage) that we didn't agree on these things.

I've never mentioned the slave-obey-master thing, but I'm sure if I did he'd make some smart comment about how I should start obeying him like a good little slave Wink he thinks he's so clever.

He doesn't believe sex is only for procreation, but if I were to conceive a child that we weren't expecting, we wouldn't abort. It's not for us. If I chose to abort, he wouldn't support me in it at all. But I don't plan on aborting. I personally don't believe I could ever do it - but I do believe, quite strongly, that others should be free to make their own choices.

I hope that answers your questions. Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thank-you you did answer all of my questions quite thoroughly. Smile

I am married and we would never abort a child either, because we are in a place where children are welcome. Married, financially stable, mature, etc. Plus we have a child now. But years ago and in college, that was entirely different.
|

Especially eHealthy
I am somewhat spiritual. I don't know if a "being" exists out there somewhere, but I can't deny that sometimes, nature just has a "feel" to it. I've called myself all kinds of things, from "open christian" to buddhist to christo-buddhist as of late. I wish there was some kind of floaty spirit of nature out there (like The Force, or whatever) but ask a skeptic I just can't accept it.

I wish it was acceptable to like Jesus but not believe in his divinity. Oh sure, Jewish and Islamic people get away with it (the holy trinity of monotheism!) but really, it's very frowned upon to say "Yeah, Jesus was awesome, but mortal". Yet this is what I strongly feel! Well, maybe not strongly. I like Buddha too. Do I agree 100% with either of these men? Nope, which is why I am not really buddhist nor am I really christian.

Anyway. My spiritual beliefs, convoluted as they may be, do NOT influence my views on abortion at all. My Pro-Choice stance on abortion is based purely on what I feel are personal rights, science, and the law.
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'm christian and this is what I believe

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth of all that is seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father. Through Him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation He came down from heaven; by the power of the Holy Spirit He was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered died, and was buried. On the third day He rose in fulfillment of the Scriptures; He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son He is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen

and how christianity relate to abortion

"thou shall not kill" (Exodus 20:13; Deuteronomy 5:17)

In difficult circumstances we trust the Lord will support us.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" Philippians 4:13
|

replied September 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I am a Catholic, I believe in the holy trinity, the infallibility of the holy spirit's guidance of the pope and the magistirum. I am pretty sure Christianity is the only true religion and that Catholicism in particualr is the fullness of that true religion. There are many many aspects of myself I find that are in conflict with the Church but I try to conform my will to what I believe is the will of God. I believe it is for a person to seek to please God not for God to please man, that true religion is never found in those organisations that seek to please man but rather call all men to conform to the wishes of God. So I do have many hard times and make many sacrafices in order to remain a Catholic, but it is my love for Christ that sustains me. I feel a religion should be challenging and compelling us to better ourselves, If i sought a religion that pleased me in effect I would be only putting myself as God, seeking to please myself rather than that/he which is more perfect than I. the sacraficial side of christianity prepares us for all relationships with friends, enemies, family and of course our spouse, there always has to be give and take in any relationship and as Jesus said "it is more blessed to give than recieve"

Although the Catholic faith had little to do with my postion on abortion since i held my por life postion before I converted and i am sure if i had been aware of abortion as a Child I am sure I would have thought it wrong then as well since I knew where babies came from and had a child like understanding of reproduction. So it was not hard for me to accept the biological fact of when a human life begins, since it was already what I believed anyway.
|
12 >>