Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Little Lump On Top of Butt Crack (Page 1)

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
i have a lump on the bottom of my tailbone kind of the top of my butt crack. it moves alittle bit under the skin but somewhat feels like a bruise.
the little ball/ lump started out very small i thought it was one of those pimples that stayed under the skin that went away. but i have had this for maybe about 6 monthes now and it is about the size of a nickel now. im very nervous about. any info about this will help! Thanks

are there glands in that area that can be swollen?

can cancer form there?

does anyone have any idea what this can be?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Thisiskindaweird
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Lump that appears at the bottom of tailbone, usually, is suspected for pilonidal cyst. This cyst can become infected and filled with pus. When this happens the cyst is known as pilonidal abscess. You can experience its presence as swollen red lump that's causing pain. Do you feel progressive
tenderness after physical activity or a period of prolonged sitting? Have you noticed a pus drainage from the lump? Do you have fever? Do you find this lump and the surrounding area tender and warm to palpation?
Waiting for your post!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied April 13th, 2011
do you think you can help
i have a lump on the top of my but crack and it is really hurting but i cant get into the doctor till friday. it burns and makes it hard to sit lay down stand and even go to the bathroom what could it be could it be cancer?
|

replied September 2nd, 2012
Hi - I was searching online for some possible leads because I have the same under-the-skin bump right below my tailbone, saw your post, and made an account to let you know I have the same thing going on, even if it is 2012. I noticed it the other day-it doesn't itch nor look discolored. Just a sore bruise-like bump that worries me a little as well. I doubt it is cancer as I am 19 years old but it could be a cyst or something. Wanted to share and see if you found resolution to your issue-it would be helpful!
|

replied June 7th, 2013
I'm only 17, just weeks away from 18, but I too have a bump. I just noticed it for the first time last weekend,
but pain wasn't the cause of it; and I just looked at the bump, I don't see any color. Normally the bump only hurts if I'm sitting funky on a toilet. I've never had cancer, but my mom has had cancer spots(She was raised in very sun-lit and hot states as a child and teenager)that have been removed on time, but I'm still scared. I've had a boil on my ass cheek once, though. So far this particular butt-crack bump is the bees knees compared to the boil I had, so it can't be very extreme yet. Still though, idk the cause or the cure. I guess I had better inform my mom :/
|

replied June 7th, 2013
I'm only 17, just weeks away from 18, but I too have a bump. I just noticed it for the first time last weekend,
but pain wasn't the cause of it; and I just looked at the bump, I don't see any color. Normally the bump only hurts if I'm sitting funky on a toilet. I've never had cancer, but my mom has had cancer spots(She was raised in very sun-lit and hot states as a child and teenager)that have been removed on time, but I'm still scared. I've had a boil on my ass cheek once, though. So far this particular butt-crack bump is the bees knees compared to the boil I had, MUCH less pain and this has no color to it, so it can't be very extreme yet. Still though, idk the cause or the cure. Best I tell my mom, though, and then a doctor x.x
|

replied September 26th, 2007
My lump does not show any color at all. There is no drainage at all either. It feels tender though when i push on it or if i slouch in my seat and sit on it. I dont feel anything after any physical activity, only when the lump is being pushed on.
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
As I mentioned in a previous post, pilonidal cyst are lumps that usually form just to the side of the top crease in the buttocks and can be as small as a pea or large than a golf ball. It's an abscess that is created from an infected follicle. Usually, it hurts when you press on it and if it becomes infected the pain will be worse. Pilonidal cyst can take one of several courses. Some people with pilonidal cyst will experience excruciating pain in the tailbone area and will have obvious signs of inflamed lump(redness, swelling, pain) Other people will have abscess that's draining and don't cause sever pain. The third group of people are the ones that can feel the lump, but cause very little pain.
Do you feel itchy in that area and perianal area too? You could have minimal drainage with no odor and you can feel itchy caused from the drainage.
Do you have family history of pilonidal cyst? Are you experiencing lower back pain? Did you suffer traumatic injury to the tailbone? Do you have tendency towards forming acne, boils or cysts?

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied April 13th, 2011
it does itch i have acne i do not believe it has an odor but it is giving off discharge and idk if there is a family history with it. i do have alot of back pain and always hot but i thought that was just happening becasue i am pregnant
|

replied April 13th, 2011
it hurts no matter what i di i can barley walk now becasue it hurts to move i can bearly stand to take a shower just tryin to get in and out or even dry off is a job all on its own now andi dont know what to do im in so much pain
|

replied April 13th, 2011
i must be a pest right now and im sorry but i was just wondering if even at my age if i could get this or if its something worse? im 17 i cant sit lay down and sleep stand or hardley walk becasue it causes me so much pain and discomfort its in side my but but at the top of my crack if that makes sense im scared becasue im pregnant and if this is what i have then will i be able to get surgery? and is there a possibility that it would come back but be much worse??
|

replied September 30th, 2012
i also have a lump on my tail bone... it doesn't hurt to sit on it at all and it's pea size... but it does get itchy and i also have a brown rash on my butt ... before it was brown it would itch alot and when i got out of the shower it would look raw.. i have talked to my dr yet but i plan to soon... i'm also 9 months' prego so idk if i developed this bcuz i've been a couch potato lately or what but i want it gone.. any advice will help
|

replied October 1st, 2007
I have had lower back pain for almost 2 years now. But i havent always had that lump.

I dont feel itchy at all.

I do have a doctor appt. on Wed to find something out.

if it is that kind of cyst what do i have to do to get it taken care of? does it cause any serious problems?

Thank you so much for all your help lately!
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
Because you're not experiencing other symptoms than tenderness in that area only when you push on it or sit on it, I guess treatment will not be required. You just need to keep the area clean and dry well after washing, to avoid infection of the sinus. You can ,also, try to soak the area in warm water if the lump start to cause more pain.
Please, inform me about you doctor's appointment!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Travsteph2504!
How did the doctor's appointment on Wednesday went?
Do you have something to share with us?
Was the doctor familiar with your problem?
Did he suggest some tests for your conditions?
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Feedback On Doctor's Appointment?
hello patient,
did you ever get feedback from your doctor? My symptoms sound identical to yours and I am very curious of your outcome.

Many thanks,
|

replied November 15th, 2007
Pilonidal Abscess
Hi!

I was doing research on this problem because I have a similar issue. The bump formed at the top of my crack about a year and a half ago and slowly got larger until it was about the size of a quarter. I didn't think too much about it because it only hurt when I sat directly on it, but eventually it began to hurt when I moved around. I cannot describe the amount of pain it caused me. I was completely miserable for about a week when it finally opened up and drained a good amount of blood and this weird clear liquid. At this point (I'm stubborn) I decided to see my doctor. He tried to clean it out and put in a wick, but the wick came out the next day. It healed up nicely, but it has come back and I would say it is twice as large as it was before and EXTREMELY painful. I'm not messing around with it this time, I have surgery scheduled Tuesday to have it properly cleaned out.
|

replied November 28th, 2007
Here's a follow up of my status. It turns out my appointment was to have the abscess cut open (about 1 inch), drained, cleaned and packed. What they didn't tell me until the process was finished was that I would need to pack the opening twice a day for 4-8 weeks THEN they would perform surgery to permanently remove the abscess. If you decide to take this route, let me warn you. The first two days of packing the abscess are horribly painful. Pulling out the bandage and replacing it probably isn't something you will be able to do for the first 3 days, after that the pain will be mild and the wound should be healing up and getting smaller on the inside.

The surgeon that worked on me stressed that if I didn't get follow up surgery, the abscess would come back in a year. Despite how much of a pain in the ass all of this is (literally) I'm going to tough it out and do what he says. I will update again when my surgery is over. Hopefully this is helping somebody out there.
|

replied March 25th, 2008
omfg, i dont want that to happen to me, i dont want to be emaberassed, i guess i got all the advise i could get by reading other peoples answers and help, i am so screwed
|

replied April 10th, 2008
Pilonidal cyst
As the mother of a son who had a pilonidal cyst that was healed, I have some advice. For him, having it cleaned out and stitched up ("closed" heal") and then having to maintain it periodically (sometimes with nitro glycerine) waiting for it to heal was a long process of doctor visits. We then found a colorectal doctor (Atlanta) who did an "open heal" surgery and it healed well and it's gone. So, we recommend getting the open heal first and get it over with. It's not fun but it will be done and behind you.
|

replied January 5th, 2009
hey all I have a similar problem in which I have a lump just above my butt crack below the skin above my tailbone. I'm able to easily move it around under the skin, it doesn't hurt ever, it doesn't ooze, doesn't itch and is entirely unnoticeable unless touching it. it doesn't seem like it's grown at all. does this sound like the same thing? if so what's the best course of action to take?
|

replied October 24th, 2011
cyst
hey i am experiencing the same thing. It is just somethiung that came out of nowhere and it is the size of a mini golf ball. it does not hurt, but after reading these posts... i am anxious and scared. I am going to run to the doc asap.
|

replied January 20th, 2009
ya i think i might have that too. that's not cool. but mine is really small. like you just said in the same condition. anyways if you have any more info. do tell
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
lump under skin
I had a pilonidal cyst, they cut it open and it healed up within 1 week...yes it was very painful, but i have another lumo under my skin and hurts like a bruise. Im praying it isn;t the same thing again. But I also hope it's not something more serious. Has anyone had any other results? Not for the pilonidal cyst, but for the lump under the skin that feels like a bruise??? I need some positive feedback!
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
TRAUMATIC CYST???

Back in december 2008 i fell and broke my tailbone i never did anything the er told me just to walk to keep it in place and it would heal the beginning of jan 09 i started forming a lump on the left side right on the top of my butt crack it was painful but i left it alone and it popped about the middle of feb it appeared again once again i just dealt with the pain it popped and went away last monday it came back for the 3rd time this time it grew in size in a matter of hours and was so painful i couldnt sit stand or even lay on my back. the most comfortable i felt was crawling around everywhere it was horrible!! anyway i got fed up and on tuesday went to the doc she said from not taking care of my tail bone the infection had no where else to leave the body so it formed a pocket which is my cyst she called it a traumatic cyst i had it cut out(painful!!!!!)and she packed it full of gauze that looks like shoe string i pull it out an inch every other day so it heal from the inside out and pushes any infection left out while it heals its pretty gross changing the bandages but ive been on antibiotics and vicodin...yumm lol and feeling alot better i go to the doc again today not sure what theyll do but ill keep ya updated
|

replied May 25th, 2009
help
about 2 weeks ago i recently found a small lump just below my butt crack on the left side, it isnt visable and when i felt it, i feel a type of worm like structure underneath the lump, im really worried hat it could be Sad http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic109348 .html#quick_reply_input
|

replied June 4th, 2009
Hello i have a small lump right below tailbone and its on the ride side of crease. Its sometimes painful and itchy and i dont have a clue as of what it is. I do get boils couple times a year between my legs and it makes it painful to walk. Im using Ichthammol Ointment 20% but only reason i have that is because of boils but i decided to try it on the small lump i mentioned. I cant see anything visible but i do feel a hard itchy light pain from it. Thanks for any advice.
|

replied June 7th, 2009
Butt sore
About two months ago the very top of my butt crack would itch like crazy and now it is starting to get very sore. Even though I am keeping it clean and dry there has been a slight odor. When I was about 8 I feel on my tailbone from about 10 feet up and never really thought much of it. Guess I'll be making a Dr appt for this very soon.
I have also had to have boils/cysts drained and packed and it it VERY VERY painful.
|

replied July 1st, 2009
Cayanne Pepper
Thanks everyone!! This really helped me. I have a lump that has no itchyness, no redness, no drainage, and no hole(that I know of). It hurts only when I put pressure on it and it began after I excersised to lose weight. It's not swelling, but it IS on the inside of the skin. Like, it looks completely normal on the outside.
I had a previous one that was at the top of my crack that drained odor smelling stuff, but went away by itself because I used Cayanne Pepper. If anyone can't go to the doctor (money or time problems) put Cayanne Pepper on it. It's like a miracle herb. Mine went away in a few days. Later!
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Hi,
I am 15 years old and I have had this bump for 1 or 2 years. I just recently started to have very bad lower back problems. the bump doesn't hurt but it moves under my skin. I would like to know it is a serious thing. please answer back soon. thanks
joe
|