Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Hyper Active Gallbladder

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Well i've been having stomach issues for almost a year and have had a couple ultrasounds, a stomach emptying test, a hida scan and a scope down my throat test...they were all horrible. so i finally got a copy of my medical records and showed my uncle who is this amazing doctor in california. he looked at them for 2 seconds, and figured i have a hyper active gallbladder. he explained it that my gallbladder is a sack type of thing, and if it squeezes at 50% that is good b/c its squeezing half...so he said between 30-60% is where you want it. but if its below or above that like my 92% that that is considered a hyper active gallbladder. It is often left untreated because not many doctors will know about it. He said that 1 out of 3 regular MD's will know about it. He has lots of experience in the GI and stomach branch that he learned it working with GI. So i've done a lot of research about a hyper active gallbladder and found this great doctor in Colorado Springs, CO who wrote an article about hyper active type of problems dealing with the gallbladder...here is the link.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Gallbladder-Prob lems-Common-In-Celiac-Disease-May-Be-Misse d-By-Doctors-Because-Of-Normal-Tests&i d=229284

so i hope this helps some of you. i have been dealing with this stomach issue for forever and all the doctors i had seen made me feel stupid and made me feel like i was imagining all the problems...but i finally have an answer!!!

i met with a surgeon today...and am going in for surgery on WEDNESDAY!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gallbladder_CA
|

replied March 18th, 2008
cAN i GET THE dOCTORS NAME?
I just read your post on the hyperactive gallbladder (Mine is 96%) and the link did not work, could I get the name of the doctor cause I want to read and print his article for ammo! Thanks, and I hope you are feeling better!
|

replied April 3rd, 2008
Hi,

I was also interested in the article and how the OP made out after surgery, but the link did not work. The referral from this site takes you to the main page. You can still find it, from the other website search there on just 'gallbladder' and the last article on the first page was the same one as posted above, wasn't very helpful to me...

"An unusual phenomenon has been observed in some Celiac patients. Gallbladder type abdominal pain without gallstones and a "supranormal" gallbladder ejection fraction. Surgery relieves the gallbladder type pain and a diseased gallbladder is found. Radiology studies have been reported in the literature that shed light on this phenomenon though it's significance has been largely missed by the medical community.

Various ultrasound findings have been reported in Celiac disease, primarily in the European literature. Colli et. al in Italy noted increased fasting volumes of the gallbladder by ultrasound in untreated Celiac patients and Mariciani et. al. in the U.K. found increased gallbladder volumes and elevated gallbladder ejection fractions using MRI. Low CCK levels have been reported in Celiac patients (Deprez et.al. 2002, Rehfeld 2004). This physician has had several Celiac disease patients who have had high gallbladder ejection fractions (typically >90%) associated with classic gallbladder symptoms that resolved after gallbladder surgery. Chronic gallbladder disease was confirmed pathologically."
|

replied May 1st, 2008
Hyperactive gallbladder
After months of writhing stomach pain, and dozens of tests and doctor refferals, I'm finally aving my gallbladder removed after being diagnosed with a hyperactive gallblader. I was just wondering how the surgery went, and what to expect. Also, would that make me at risk for Celiac Disease? Thanks!
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Hey ajs,
Just wanted to check and see if your gallbladder has come out! I also have a hyper gallbladder, with no stones, and finally after 6months a surgeon is going to take my gallbladder out. I have had second thoughts a billion times, thanks to the doubts all the doctors have had. I've tried everything they have asked me, I have done every test they have given me, and it seems so obvious to me that its not heart, lungs, stomach, ulcer, polyps, you name it. Just to let you know, if you had elevated liver enzymes it will cause your HIDA scan to be irregular. My gastro doctor told me that. My liver levels have been elevated so my EF rate was 93%. Don't let any doctor ever tell you that's normal. Its not. As far as I know it shouldn't put you t risk for Celiac cause I asked the same thing. High EFraction does show up in Celiac patients, but usually becasue you already have it. When do u have your surgery?
|

replied July 12th, 2009
I have had all of the above discussed symptoms to include multipole scopes that they keep finging polyps in, and high liver levels, and an elivated EF rate at 90% - I am considering having my gallbladder removed. Can anyone tell me some of the side effect they are experiencing please, and how bad the scar is?
Thanks.
BB
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Regarding the Celiac issues - get tested for the at least antibodies if you've had a supranormal GB ejection fraction. Celiac doesn't always present itself with the "classic" symptoms & sometimes a person with active Celiacs suffers from no symptoms at all. The Celiac antibody panel is simple and takes five minutes. The consequences of someone with Celiacs remaining untreated can be detrimental.
|

replied February 4th, 2010
I found the magazine article link:
http://ezinearticles.com/?id=229284
|

replied March 24th, 2010
hyperactive gall bladder
I was just diagnosed with hyperactive gallbladder and mine was 94%. My doc says he has never heard of taking out the gall bladder for this condition. For those of you who have had the surgery, can you tell me if it helped.

Thanks
|

replied September 7th, 2011
any updates?
|

replied October 4th, 2011
life after surgical removal of a hypermotile gallbladder
In 2005, I had a hypermotile gallbladder with similar symptoms. I was so frustrated with my gastroenterologist--he kept insisting that it wasn't my GB b/c labs, ultrasound, etc...were "within normal limits"

But I kept getting sick--either suddenly or peri-exercise. My fiance finally took me to the ER. Labs were normal, ABD CT unremarkable. We're both in medicine, we were so frustrated!

A general surgeon agreed with us. She stated the obvious: something wasn't right, a healthy 27y/o shouldn't be getting that sick that often, it was worth a "look around" in the OR.

MOST importantly---she refused to ignore the only "positive, aka abnormal" results: my HIDA scan with a large GB, a >60% EF & pain replicated by the CCK injection.

A HIDA scan isn't fancy. It remains one of the best "imitators" of human physiology studies we have. It doesn't even require very much experience to determine "normal" vs "abnormal" function. And CCK (the stuff they inject into your IV during the scan) is the naturally occurring endogenous hormone our GB releases to food stimuli. If you notice the same "pain" or diarrhea when the CCK is pushed into your IV, then that is significant.

In addition, "normal" & disease are on the same continuum. We all recognize that too little of something can be bad. Why isn't the opposite recognized as potentially just as bad? Only a few recognize hypermotility as a potential problem...primarily because "cancer" or "cirrhosis" isn't usually associated.

I had my GB removed in Oct of 2005. Since then I have NOT had the same pain or symptoms AT ALL. In the OR, my GB was quite large...and stuck to my intestines/liver with adhesions. SOMETHING had ticked it off at some point.

I don't know what it was--I suspect it was a latent, recently reactivated, double-stranded DNA viral infection of the vagus nerve branches that innervate the GB--but that's another novel, for another time.

If your Hida scan is abnormal, if the CCK replicates your pain, if all other GI workup has been negative & you are an otherwise healthy person, discuss GB removal with several surgeons & clinicians. If it is done laparoscopically, you can potentially go home that same day with a total of 3 Band-Aids on your stomach.

At the very least, consider asking them to put you on a 2-6wk trial of cholestyramine or another bile acid sequestrant.
|
Users who thank gallbladder_CA for this post: tiffany914 

replied February 27th, 2012
My EF was at 98% which the surgeon said was really high. So I had my gall bladder removed 4 days ago. Since that time I have still nausea and alot of burping - which were my symptoms BEFORE the surgery. Is this normal ????
|

replied September 1st, 2012
hyperactive gull bladder
My EF is greater that 75% don't remember the exact number. I have been having the same symtoms that everyone is discribing. My primary doctor said my gullbladder is hyperactive. The doctor made me an appointment with a surgeon in a month for a consult to see if they think removal surgery is the route to go. I have been able to manage it by eating very bland food and only eating small bites, about 10-15 bites every hour or so and drinking warm liquids. Ice water seemed to upset my stomach too. It gets worse in the evening. I feel like I have lava in my intestines. I have been feeling a little lathargic; understandable since I am not able to eat much. I have lots of burping, heart burn, stomach feels tight, loss of appetite even though my stomach is growling like crazy. i say I am managing it but, it has only been a couple weeks since my first major attack. Not sure how this diet is going to affect me. I am 28 but I have several other health problems not related to the gull bladder issue. I am hoping the surgeon descides to take my gull bladder out so I have one less thing to worry about in my life. If anyone has any other info I would love to hear suggestions or your stories.
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
Yes!!!!My 12 year old son had hida scan with 88.2. All other tests showed normal gallbladder. Years of suffering. GI doctors say no gallbladder problem. With the help of his primary care doctor. We finally found a wonderful surgeon that removed gallbladder. He is two weeks post op today. He had lost 36 lbs because he could not eat. He is now able to eat and has no gallbladder pain!!! I hope this helps. We too have been to many doctors and my son has had many hospitalizations for vomiting,dehydration,and urq pain. We are so thankful to his primary care doctor for not giving up and so thankful for the surgeon that finally saved his life!!
|

replied April 14th, 2013
Zentime my son is 11 and has been going through the exact same thing. Our experience with doctors (of all specialties) has been awful. We did finally find a surgeon to remove his gallbladder in hopes of finding relief. It's only been 3 days and he's still not feeling much better. I'm wondering how quickly your son's symptoms were relieved? My son is still having some pain when eating or drinking anything.
|