Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Worried About Lump On Head (Page 1)

I have had a lump on my head for few months now. I cant remember when I noticed it. Its on the top of my skull on the left hand side, just off from the middle. It hasnt grown any bigger and I dont have any other symptoms. It doesnt hurt or anything. It feels like its on my bone and the skin moves freely over it. Im really worried about it.

Hannah
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper buttafree
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Hannah!
I guess you may have exostosis, benign (non-cancerous) bone tumour. Actually, that means you have extra bone growth on a bony surface. This growths can be accompanied with pain or can be painless. Do you find it as round or oval hard bony mass?
They can be caused due to a long-term irritation as a result of osteoarthritis, infections, or trauma.
You can visit your doctor and ask for a radiological exam.
Write us back what you'll decide to do!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
hi,
I also had a lump in my head on the back side, but it get dissolved by its own. in few weeks. I used to do Yoga now, to avoid this kind of problem.
|

replied August 11th, 2008
Same Problem
Hi Hannah,

I have the exact same problem! I have a small bump on the left hand side of my head, just above the forehead. I've never really noticed it before. It also feels like it is above the bone, but the skin moves easily over it. I'm not too worried as it doesn't hurt. I really would have no idea what it is.

mi11i3
|

replied January 26th, 2009
same thing
I have the same thing - about an inch above my forehead/hairline, on the left top of my head. Round, hard, like a small marble, and feels fixed to the bone. Doesn't hurt, although now it makes me wonder whenever I have a brief headache.

I asked my doctor about it six months ago and he didn't see it on my head Xray. He said it could be calcified bone, or even a hard tissue deposit as a result of bumping my head on a pipe in my basement or on my car trunk lid. Anyway, he said to let him know if "it doesn't go away in a few months." I'm checking this site out because it's about time to go back.
|

replied October 25th, 2009
i have also the same thing, mine is in the front & below my hairline. my cousin notice this when she massage me on my forehead. I've notice it grow a little. no pain or headache. i really scared to see a doctor.

it's make so desperate.
|

replied November 25th, 2009
lump on my sons head
My son has 2 knots or cyst like bums on the back side of his head, they hurt when i touch it and his head is very sensitive especially when i dry it when he gets out of the bath, should i be concerned. also he has severe swollen lymphnodes in his next and his tonsills are very red and look to be scarred even.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
We have lymphnodes on the back of our heads strangely enough =) My son had many ear nose and throat issues and at one point recently, those nodes on the back of his head were raised and very sensitive, as were nodes behind his ears and 2 down each side of his neck. I'm dead serious when i say his neck lymphnodes were up since he was born he's now 5 and they're all just starting to dissipate.After years of Dr's being extremely unhelpful an Otolaryngologist or ENT was the only one who found anything which turned out just to be tonsillitus, and the fluid retention in his ears was almost retaining infections causing those nodes to stay raised. A good course of Anti biotics helped even though im not an anti-biotic advocate. I know this is years later but hope it helps someone.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
I sort of have the same thing too. Except mine is close to my neck, where the skull ends. I heard that it could be Lympahdenitis. And it's usually cause by a bacterial or viral infection.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
hard boney lump on skull
I too have a hard boney lump on the left side of my skull, it feels fixed to the bone but the skin mives freely over it. I went to see 2 GP's who said its a sebacous cyst however after researching cysts it doesnt feel like that at all as its not moblie but fixed to the bone and its very firm where as cysts are usually not. So i went to see a third GP who agreed it didnt feel like a cyst but more like a bone and said that sometimes the skull can just grow boney knobbly things on it - she gave me a name for them which i can't remember! So tomorrow i'm having an x-ray which should be able to identify whether it's bone or not. Its about 1cm in width and 7mm raised frim the surface. xxx
|

replied March 24th, 2010
hellos, i had the same thing on my head , on the left side almost to the middle of my head, i went to the hospital for check up, i was told that i have a tumor on my scall, infact i was done for an operation, a few weeks ago, after that they say that they will do radiation.i had tumor on my liver, then was done for a liver transplantation in 2008, last year was found with bone tumors, on several parts of the bone, ifact i even broke my rib ones, was done for radiation, and was ok, the other day was found with another one on my rib, its really painfull, so they will start with radiatin on friday, my professor has given me sutent, he says that will reduce the growth of the tumors, infact he says the tumors on the bone are from the old liver, so i have secondary bone cancer, am very worried bu still fighting, anybody with the same?problem?
|

replied February 12th, 2012
lump on head that cant be diagnosed as to why
Interesting. I've been dealing w something very similar dating bk to 2003. I've had several CT& MRI'S nothing ever comes of them. Often I feel like they are thinking I'm over reacting. The 1 positive thing is my husband is my witness. He's felt the lump. It appears@ the top left side down frm the middle and can feel very large@ times. He knows its there and gently rubs and pokes my hairline relieving my headaches which are often very bad. I take toradol when I can't bear the pain. Once my husband has massaged the area I fall asleep.approx 20 minutes later. My GP thinks its stress. My husband and I are both frustrated and I get to a point of wanting to just give up, why bother nobody believes me. Its between the bone and skin. Like a plate has lifted on 1 side. My red blood cell count was high last physical but GP wasn't concerned. Sadly reading these comments has made me see I'm not alone. If I get any relief its from knowing I am a uniquely made creation and 1 of a kind case. Sorry trying to hide my disappointment thru humor.
Sincerely. Feeling like a nut that can't be cracked
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I too have the same problem. I have liver cancer as primary.. I also had the right side of my liver removed on march 2010. I was 16 at the time. It eventually spread to my ribs and pelvis.. Which affected my walking; the pain made me limp a lot. I got radiation to those areas and it did help take the pain away so I was able to regain proper mobility. Unfortunately it ended up spreading to several parts of my spine and got more aggressive to the old areas as well. I was receiving chemo but it didn't work. I received another surgery to decompress my spine cause the tumor grew around my spine which affected my ability to walk or stand. The cancer was found to have spread to my lungs, more came back to the liver, and I'm sure there's growth everywhere for me now.

I also have a strange bump on the right of my head above my forehead. The skin moves freely above it. My doctor told me that it may be a cyst which can take months to grow; and all that there is inside is either a waxy-like substance, pimple.. Or something along the lines of that. Sometimes you may need surgery to drain whatever is inside if it gets too big and ugly for you.
|

replied June 20th, 2010
head lump
I have the same problem, i have a small hard lump on the top of my scull just off from the middle..i have also had bad bowel problems...have lost a lot of weight from doing nothing and get very very dizzy when i try and exercise,i also have ear problems..when i touch the lump it makes my face feel a little bit numb...i know i need to go to the doctor but i have 2 kids 2 and 3 months so its hard to get anywhere..so thought i would research??
|

replied June 21st, 2010
hello,

sorry, about what you have, i had same thing on the head, but you kno one cant say same thing, coz i believe sicknesses are differen but got one sometimes back on top on my head almost to the center, got checked up nd was found with cancer, that swelling part was cancer that was growing ,but only on the bone, i was lucky that it was not growing towards the brain, but it was growing to the outer part, just to advice you, to go tosee a doc, maybe you are lucky that it will be nothing, but its better to go, am now done with it, just healling. just to ask, only if you dont mind, where do you come from? and where do you stay? am from Germany. hope to hear from you soon, by the way i also hav a two year old son. good evening.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
ohhh that i s horrible, i am glad you are healing though. i am worried but i doubt it is cancer but i am going to the doc tomoz. i am in spam unapproved and live in a normal suburb of melbourne. i hope u make a full recovery
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
hi,

i just turned 20 and yeterday i was rubbing my head and i felt the same lump. its also on the left side in the middle it also feels like its connected to the bone its about the size of a quarter and its growing outwards. when i push it, it kinda hurts. i also have a bump on the right side of my face on the side of my cheek. ive had it for about 3-4 years and it doesnt bother me at all but one year it got pretty big and i asked a doctor but he said not to worry. i dont know what they are and im really scared i dont got medicare or anything so i dont know what to do. can someone please help?
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
Hi eevie, if i were you i would see a doctoe, if you cant afford to see a doctor then go to a emergency department of a hospital..if u go to a public hospital i think its free..
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
Hard bump on forehead
I'm 35 and i have a hard bump on my forehead , just above my right eyebrow. I started getting headaches every day and my wife suggested i go to the E.R. to get it checked out. They found 2 skull tumours but said they looked benign. I went through mri, a pet scan , another ct scan and my Doctor said there were no masses so it looked like i was in the clear . She refered me to a neurologist and he said it looked like cancer but wouldn't be able to tell untill they were removed to biopsy. I go for surgery friday (7/22/10) and am freaking out at what they'll find . I have four kids and the last two are only 4 months. If anybody has had anything remotly simalar please post a reply. thanks mike.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Mike,
I feel I may have something similar. I have a lump on my right temple next to my eye. it's always there but i get horrible migraines very often & they tend to make me nauseated too. I've had it for years & years & am too scared to get it checked. it doesnt hurt to touch but when i get migraines or headaches its always on that side right where the lump is & if i get sick or my head hurts it seems to get bigger! There is definately something up w/ it I believe...

Amber
|

replied August 28th, 2012
Migraines no more
Hi there - I was reading the post because I have a boney lump above my eyebrow. Noticed your comment about migraines and wanted to let you know, I used to have terrible migraines once or twice a month and now I don't get them anymore. I had a different health issue and thought I would give going gluten-free a try. Gluten-free made me start to feel better within a couple of weeks - and now a year and a half later I've probably only had 1 or 2 migraines in that time. I think it is worth you trying for two weeks going really strictly gluten free (not in sauces or anything) and see if it works for you. I know if you have migraines you'd at least be willing to try it! Let me know how it goes. R
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
Oh I hope every thing worked out OK for you. mmartin

I have a hard lump, toward to back of the left side of my head. I get stabbing pains every day, two doctors said it was an infection. I took two lots of antibiotics that didn't work. Now I have seen another doctor for a second opinion because its getting worse all the time.
This doctor has referred me to have a CT scan which is next Wednesday, it feels nasty but we'll see.

I have to wonder if mobile phones have anything to do with this, I have used one alot over the last 12 years, plus because I'm a sales person I have done tonnes of work using the phone??? I always have phones to my left ear.....?
|

replied September 18th, 2010
Lump on my head
I also have a bump on top of my head in the middle. I have had it for years , at least ten years now. Its really starting to worry me as is has got a lot bigger over the year.It doesnt hurt at all , and i am bald in that spot.It feel softish around the outside and hard in the middle. Very worried?
How can you tell a cancer lump from any other lump?
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
i also have a lump on the back of my head, its been there for about a year or two. I have seen a doctor and she said to come back if it gets larger. It has gotten larger, and i am beginning to have massive headaches that shoot from the top of my head, down to my neck. i am freaking out. i plan on seeing a neurologist or another type of doctor in that field of study. this lump is on my lower right side of my head. i am looking for advice .

|

replied November 11th, 2010
For those whose Lumps feel not so hard. You are looking at a viral infection. Please shave your head bold (For oxygen) and Wash the head at least twice a day. Sweat makes it worse. It should not last a few days. If it does. See a doctor.
|

replied November 14th, 2010
Bony lump on skull
I have had a bony lump on my head since I was around 25 maybe, I am now 43..... I has grown a little over the years and is on the left side of my head just above the hair line on my forehead. It doesn't hurt but I can get worried when I get headaches on that side. I have had 1 or 2 MRI's over time and Xrays and it has come up as extosis. Doctor said its just extra bone on skull, I have asked about having it removed and she said it that it would only be for cosmetic reasons cause it won't hurt me but having it removed might, so I have left it. I am very consience about it but my hair covers it so I guess I have to live with it.
|

replied November 26th, 2010
Hard Lump on Forehead Growing - What doctor to see?
I'm searching for answers online because my mother has the same issue: about 3 lumps on her forehead, all started off really small and now are growing and it has been a couple of months. They feel hard, like part of the skull and it's under the skin and the skin moves freely over it. There's no pain either.

What kind of doctor do we see for this? We're very concerned and went to get a MRI and didn't find anything, but it's not going away after months. Any recommendations on what to do next?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2011
My mom has a lump above her right eye brow. It is very HARD, and it has suddenly gotten really huge.(she has had it for over a year, but it was very small and no physical exam noted anything) I went to her PRIMARY doc, and he thought it was a hematoma. He referred her to a plastic surgeon. He has never seen anything like this due to how hard it is. It only hurts when the doctor squeezed it.
She had a CT scan of the head and neck WITH contrast. I will find out more in a day or two and get back to you.
The weird thing is, that now, there is a long thick one going up from the hard one, like it is a vein feeding the hard one.
I hope it is nothing, but the vibe of the doctor and the radiologist, gave me a bad feeling.
Everyone's lump seems to be on the forehead area.
|