Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Otoplasty "ear Pinning" Post-op Information

I recently had an otoplasty and was given an information sheet by my nurse. It is full of useful information so I decided to type it out to help ressolve any questions people have post-op. This was given to my from my hospital, the information on it is in regards to me, this information might not apply to everyone. Every doctor is different.

YOUR CHILD'S SURGERY

Your child has had an otoplasty. This is plastic surgery on the ears to "pin them back" so that they lie closer to the head.

WHAT TO EXPECT

After your child's surgery, your child:

- will have an incision behind the ear(s)
stitches that will:
dissolve on their own
or be taken out by the doctor
- will have bulky gauze bandage over the stitches
- may have a little blood on the bandage
- may have itching under the bandage after a few days. THis means the incision is healing

Before going home your child should be:

- drinking fluids without vomiting
- passing urine
- up walking (if appropraite for age)

WHAT TO DO

1. If the bandage becomes soaked in blood, APPLY PRESSURE with a clean cloth or towel for 20 minutes. If this does not stop the bleeding, call your doctor or bring your child to the Children's Emergency Department.

2. Your child MUST NOT SCRATCH under the bandage. Scratching could cause the stitches to come out or cause an infection.

3. Leave the bandage on until the doctor removes it. If the bandage becomes loose or falls off, call the doctor. You may tape the edges of the bandage if needed.

4. No showers or shampoos until the bandage is removed by the doctor.

5. Your child should wear clothes with buttons or LOOSE pullovers that will fit over the bulky bandage on your child's head.

6. Watch for signs of infection such as pus, redness, extreme tenderness, swelling and fever. Call your child's surgeon if this happens.

(Added: No bending or lifting for 2 days)

MEDICINE

- Give your child acetaminophen (Tempra or Tylenol) every 4 hours the day of surgery (AFTER SURGERY) and then when needed. Follow the instructions on the bottle for the amount to give. Other medicine may be given under the advice of your doctor.
- Give your child Gravol as shown on the bottle if your child continues to throw up. Follow the instructions on the bottle for the amount to give.

DIET

- Your child may have an upset stomach the day of surgery. Offer clear fluids such as 1/2 strength apple juice, flat 7-Up or Gingerale, Jell-O, clear soup or popsicles until the stomach is settled.
- Then give your child a small, light meal such as soup, cereal, crackers, or toast.
- Encourage your child to drink, but don't force eating.

ACTIVITY

1. Your child can lie on either side. The bandage will protect the ears.

2. The general anaesthetic, which your child has had, will have some effect for about 24 hours. For that time it is important that you:
- Watch your child closely.
- Keep your child in the house doing quiet things, such as reading or watching TV.
- Don't allow your child to do things that need balance and coordination, such as running up and down stairs, climbing, or riding a bicycle.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks!
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Thankyou so much!
How long did you have your bandage on for?
Which type of stitches did you have the dissolving ones or the ones that had to be took out by the doctor?
Also so you can sleep on either side?
I'm having my operation in a few days so please answer lol. Thanks x
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Thankyou so much!
How long did you have your bandage on for?
Which type of stitches did you have the dissolving ones or the ones that had to be took out by the doctor?
Also so you can sleep on either side?
I'm having my operation in a few days so please answer lol. Thanks x
|