Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Infection on the left side of my mout! Cancer, Mono ????

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hey I am a 19 year old male, smoker for 2 years of both marijuana and cigarettes, and i have had a sore on the left side of my mouth for about 2 weeks now. I saw my doctor and dentist about it and they both told me it was an infection and prescribed pennicllin for me to take 4 times daily until it was finished. Well, I just finished my prescription but the infection is still there, as well is the sore. I am starting to get paranoid now that it may be a mouth cancer of some sort? Or could it be a viral infection such as mono? The infection is only on the left side of my mouth, behind my wisdom teeth on the bottom side and the tonsil on my left side appears to be more red and swollen as well. I have pain in my left ear and I have swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. It is difficult to see the sore in my mouth, I can only feel it with my tongue. Can mono only affect one side of the throat and mouth or is it spread throughout? And are ulcers on the gums and ear pain present with mono? I had my bottom wisdom teeth extracted about 5 days ago so I dont know if that may have made the infection worse or not. If anyone has experienced something similar to this or has any information about these symptoms please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
if the infection is still there then you NEED to go back to your doctor
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2007
Supporter
Yeah, man. Definitley go back to your doctor/dentist. Since antibiotics didn't take care of it, it's probably not bacterial. It could be an abscess tooth... only your doctor or dentist can find this out for you though. Make sure you tell them you finished your penicillin!
|

replied December 15th, 2009
It could be a boil. I got diagnosed with one my senior year. It felt the same as mono and strep but it was on one side.
|