Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

G6pd

Hi all,

My son is G6PD defficient and i read that all soya products are to be avoided.

Now most foods have some sort of soya in them including chocolates (which have soya lecithin in it), so i would appreciate if someone can elaborate on this as to which soy products are to be avoided and which are ok.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jazi
|

replied September 4th, 2008
G6PD
Hi Jazi,

My 2 daughters are G6PD positive and I have been spending time surfing the internet for dishes I could prepare for them. My husband and I are giving my oldest daughter (she's a year and 3 mos old) small quantities of chocolate cookies though it says in the package that it has soy lecithin and she's not having any negative reactions though we don't want to assume that she can eat plenty of chocolates because we are still worried that it may have an effect on her. The food that we really don't give her are the following: anything with soy sauce, beans, bittergourd and chips that has soy.
|

replied September 4th, 2008
hi there,

thanks for the reply. its been over a year since i asked this question and you're the first to reply so really appreciate it.

i have been doing some research myself as well over the last year on the internet as the doctors here in Pakistan couldn't provide me with a satisfactory answer to my query but to no avail. seems that most sites are concentrating on lisitng medicines and are not sure themselves of how soya affects the g6pd affected.

what i have been doind personally is that i don't give him anything which is purely based on soya. chocolates i don't restrict and he even drinks chocolate flavoured milk. soy milk or soya sauce in chinese food is something that i strictly avoid.

he is 2.5 years old right now and i don't know what i'll do about chinese food once he gets older. i guess i'll have to talk to the chefs around town.

another story that i read on the internet was about a guy in his forties who was g6pd but didn't know and he ate fava beans all the time since childhood but had a reaction late in life and died. the point the expert was trying to make is that a g6pd event seems to be dependent on other factors as well including stress level as this guy didn't experience any problems till his forties even though he was consuming fava beans for ages.

anyhow all i have learned is to be as careful as i can be and let my son enjoy himself and live his life and not bog him down with dis or dat.
|

replied September 17th, 2009
food for G6pd
hi all,

my son was diagnosed with g6pd and i am breastfeeding. He is now 1 year old. But before knowing this, i used to eat a lot monggo and other beans classified as fava. During this period, i have noticed that my son cries a lot and it scares me because its as if he is in pain or something. When I learned this, i already avoided foods of the fava family, even the soy sauces or any product associated with soy. Thank God he is no longer crying a lot.

However, I would like to share something that may be of help to all of affected with this condition.

Since I learned of his condition, I researched and researched because i was really worried. Until my friend told me to try a product which ingredient is very natural and did not undergo a chemical process which is good for people with G6pd.

Some benefits that can be obtained that is very good for G6pd is: it helps generate red blood cells (which is low for people with g6pd) and it provides a very high amount of antioxidants that you cannot acquire even if you eat all the fruits and vegetables available in the world. It's classified as food so there are no side effects and can be added to juices or to food. The good thing about it is that it is not only good for g6pd affected only but recommended for everybody.

lucille
|

replied April 26th, 2011
hi,i have a son also have g6pd,can i ask what product is good for g6pd.tn.God bless.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
g6pd
hi, lucille,
i would like to know what is the name of the product that is good for people that are g6pd deficient. my child is also g6pd deficient and i'm breastfeeding her. And yes, according to our pediatrician, i should avoid all the contraindicated foods and medicines when i'm brestfeeding her.

kathy
|

replied April 4th, 2010
Hi all,

My son is G6PD defficient and i read that all soya products are to be avoided.

Now most foods have some sort of soya in them including chocolates (which have soya lecithin in it), so i would appreciate if someone can elaborate on this as to which soy products are to be avoided and which are ok.
|

replied July 29th, 2010
fava beans
My son is also G6PD deficient. He is now six months old. We went to a pediatric hematologist when he was six weeks old because I wanted to know what level of deficiency he had (there are three). He is level two deficient. It turns out I am level three deficient and never knew for 29 years! Level one deficiency has the most food restrictions. The other two are not as deficient. I just ate falafel without thinking (ingredients include fava beans)and now I am freaking out because I still breastfeed. Does anyone know how long it takes to pass through my system? I couldn't bare to make him ill. Thanks, and what is the name of the red blood cell generating product?
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
G6PD
My son is 17 years old now and he is also a G6PD deficient and in healthly condition. He eat peanuts, taufu, foods cook with soy sauce and drinks a lot of soyabean water . The chinese medicine that G6PD cannot take is Pearl Powder "Zhen Xhu Fen" advised by doctor. Just remember when you take him to clinic let the doctor know he is G6PD deficient. My advise is show your son a real Fava Bean and tell him that he cannot eat it or he will get sick and die. Sew a G6PD on his school uniform in case of emergency. These is what i did when my son go to primary school.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 27th, 2011
Hi, that is such a good idea to sew G6PD on his uniform! I will remember that! My son is 11 mths old and I have been scanning the web for information and I must say some comments made on the web are really not scientifically proven or based on heresay. And there are some websites that I found interesting as well. Here is one to share....which says "Fava beans is a staple food for many Mediterranean countries. Due to the fear of favism, many parents of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficient children have resorted to restricting the diet of fava beans. In doing so, they unknowingly deprived the children of many common food items which do not cause favism, for example peanuts, lentils, green peas, chick peas and nuts. The source of confusion is believed to arise from the naming of these food e.g. fava beans called foul in Arabic, peanuts called foul-Sudani and soy beans called foul-al-Soya. 17."

What do you all think?
|

replied January 31st, 2012
G6PD test kit
A clinic in redhill is looking for people with G6PD deficiency to try out a G6PD instant tester kit. $120 is given to respondant.
Currently, you need to undergo a blood test and wait at least 24hours to get your results.
WIth this kit , you can get your results in just 4mins.
They will use the kit to prick your finger to get a drop of blood and then wait for the result.
If you are interested to volunteer yourself, kindly contact me at 81632362.

Best Regards,
Xiangyong
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 4th, 2013
soy lecithin to g6pd is safe?
my son is 3 yrs of age and had g6pd, until now I'm not contented and wondering every food especially soy lecithin if had an effect to him, pls give some advice...
|

replied November 5th, 2013
is soy lecithin safe for Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase or g6pd??? my little cousin suffering for this disease. he lose weight cause he can't eat all foods he likes.it really hurts for me. please help. thanks
|
Tags: all foods
Quick Reply