Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Lacunar Stroke After Hip Replacement Surgery

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
My mom went in for total hip replacement surgery on Sept. 19th and came out of surgery with slurred speech. Later that night she was experiencing weakness in her arms mainly the left arm and some hours later a nurse finally decided that she might be having a stroke. They though it was a TIA at first but then the next day a MRI confirmed a lacunar stroke. What is the prognosis for recovering from a lacunar stroke. Her speech is improving every day as well as she seems to be getting some strength back in her arm. The doctor prescribed Aggronox (spelling) and she is receiving a blood thinner shot in her stomach 2x a day. The hip surgery so far is going great....very little pain and she is expected to go to rehab in a day or so. Will rehab help her regain strength in her arm? And is Aggronox the best drug for her to receive and take for the rest of her life as the neurologist said. She was previously taking Ecotrin every day as a preventative. Thank you for your response!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2008
stroke after surgery
About 18 months ago my aunt went in for what we thought to be a routine hip replacement. During surgery she had to have a blood tranfusion and a few hours after surgery she had a stroke. She keeps asking what caused the stroke but to this day there are no answers. Is there anything thing we can say or do to help ease her mind?
|

replied June 6th, 2012
My Friend just had a stroke after hip surgery
I think that is common in many surgeries. Not a good thing..but true. I think much can be done to help them recover from strokes now that years ago. My dear friend of many years had his second hip replacement recently and I found out tonight he had a stroke on his right side, but is now able to move his hand and the foot some, and is now talking some. He is in rehab, and I pray he will overcome the stroke. He is 68 or so years old and has had the other hip surgery before and it caused a stroke in his eye, but the eye seemed to be better cuz he could legally drive.
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Surgery on a large bone like the hip leaves the patient prone to blood clots. Most surgeons put their post operative patients on an anticoagulant to prevent blood clots. Patients are made to get up out of bed within 24 hrs of surgery to prevent blood clots.

I am sorry your aunt had a stroke. I hope her recovery is going well.
|

replied November 15th, 2009
Stroke after routine hip replacemnet op
My healthy mom,59,had a hip op and was prescribed anticoagulation drugs and advised to walk as much as she could,which she refused as she was "scared". About a month after her op,back at home,despite me begging her to take it seriously,she stopped taking anticoagulation drugs completely (they were too strong for her) and a blood clot hit her brain and caused a massive stroke and she is now paralized and cannot talk at all (third month now)and is,understandably,depressed.She needs round the clock care,which is also so costly that their savings will be gone,but I pray she will recover to an extent.Her life and all our plans have been shattered.I still feel shocked,angry,let down,sorry for her,it is such a trauma for everyone around her and esp her,and I urge others who are about to have operations to take the issue of thrombosis very seriously.I have heard of deaths due to similar of young,healthy women after C-sections and natural births,knee ops etc...I would just like to know if my Mom will recover and how well as I have heard that it varies a lot.
|

replied November 20th, 2009
As far as I 'm concerned, I'm afraid that modern medicine can do little in stroke recovery, so I suggest you can take some alternative medicine. Meditation, acupuncture, hypnosis, reflexology, herbalmedicine, and so on are all alternative medicine, and I think there must be one can help your mother. My friend's mother caught stroke and we are looking for any treatment to help her. I think Traditional Chinese Medicine should be my best choice. After our searching, oral pellet and massage will improve the condition. We are now considering to take Kangnaowan Pellet, which is a Traditional Chinese Medicine, and also we will do massage to help her recover.
Hope it will help you.
|

replied April 14th, 2010
hip replacement and stroke
All my research for the last several moths leads to stem cell treatment as an only option towards minimal recovery.I''ve seen U-tube video clips of totally paralised,not speaking stroke patients recover to an extent,walk and talk again...It''s done only in China now...What a nightmare!
|

replied September 26th, 2010
my husband had hip replacemnt 18 months ago he also suffered a stroke and heart attack the hopsital lied and said neither ocurred until he went into cardiac arrest. today thanks to physical,occupational, and cardio therapy he can walk he is able to feed himself again although memory loss is very much intimant he has a long way to go but neurologist placed him on aricept which seems to be helping alot with short term memory loss
|