Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Is Depression Inherent Or a Resoult of Life Circumstances ?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I am curious what makes other people depressed. Is it inherent in our nature or a result of life circumstances? I spent my teen years in deep hatred of the simple fact that I existed and I have spent my 20's simply hating my life circumstances.

So what is it? Are you incapable of ever being content with life or could you be content if your reality were what you wanted it to be? What would your perfect reality be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 9th, 2007
I think what makes people depressed is their coping stratagies-I know thats spelled wrong, people get stressed about simple things in life that are overwhelming them, so they become depressed and start thinking about suicide cos thats the easy escape.

but im depressed and my mums depressed too, maybe coincedence or maybe it runs in our family?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
For some people, it is inherent. You can be biologically predisposed to it, in which case, it doesn't matter how great your life is. You will need to treat it.

But for some people, it can be a result of life experiences and then turn into something more that you can't control. You know what I mean? Either way, depression can be treated by various therapies or medications. Don't let yourself stay depressed! You're worth more than that.
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2007
Supporter
I think that depression is as diverse as the people who have to live with it.

For some, it's predispositioned.

For others, i think it's simply a backlogue of mismanaged coping techniques that cause your brain to react a certain way... it's almost like a trained thing.

For others still, it's a physical reaction to the environment. IE: SADS or other depression related to weather.

and then, for others, it can be a combination of all of it. It's a very complicated disorder, and that's probably why it's so hard to treat.
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Given my experience I'd have to agree with marvel. For me depression runs in my family and I'm sure that I have some serious mismanaged coping techniques when it comes to life in general. One feeds upon the other and it just plain sucks. So yeah, it can be pretty diverse.
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I'd like to add that in my opinion, "bad coping mechanisms" are a RESULT of depression, not the cause.

Know what I mean?? It's a vicious cycle.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 13th, 2011
Humans need the ability to depress otherwise we could not fall asleep , also we would supernova on our positive emotions and that is another story. It is the problem of society dictates that we must be happy all the time and this is just not true. We must stop referring to it as depression and use a more accurate description by saying that is time to depress and the body will naturally et you know when it is in fact time. to depress.

Source: http://pohn.wetpaint.com/page/A+Special+No te
|
Quick Reply