Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Depression During Pregnancy Forum

Anxiety Medication During Pregnancy

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi All,
I have been taking anxiety medication for a while but have been down to a very low dose recently and have been ok. However, I have just found out I am pregnant and my attacks have started coming back. I have spoken to my doctor and she says that it is ok to continue to take the medication but of course I am worried about carrying on taking it. Has anyone else been in the same situation or can someone offer some advice? Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile WPS2011
|

replied September 7th, 2010
Hi Bundy,
I am in the same situation, I had to stop my medication for depression due to my pregnancy (I'm about 5 weeks pregnant, I know it's not that much but I feel very depressed already) and my symptoms have come back and are much worse than before. I have tremors, a strong heartbeat, a pulsation in my abdomen, sweaty palms, light-headedness, unable to concentrate....My doctor told me they would go away when I enter the second trimester but I am afraid they will continue....I am going to visit my gyn this afternoon and will tell her everything so I will be able to post back her reply. maybe she'll say I shouldn't continue the pregnancy because of the risk the medications might have on the baby plus my horrible condition.
I may have not helped but at least I have poured my heart out. Cheers!
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2011
I went from being on 6mg of Xanax a day to 5mg of Buspar. It isn't really helping, but I knew I had to stop taking the benzos for my baby's sake. Sometimes I wonder if I should consider going back to a low dose because my anxiety has been overwhelming lately, but I know that it's better to stay off of them, at least until after I stop breastfeeding. I know it's hard, believe me. I worry about taking the medication but I also worry about being stressed all the time affecting my baby. I definitely do NOT want that. It helps to talk to other people you can relate to, and that's why I found this forum. If you need someone to talk to, message me!
|