Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Chantix and Mononucleosis ?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I tried Chantix, and after about a week I began to feel bad. The fatigue was unbelievable! I was unable to concentrate either. i finally went to the doctor by the next week, and found out that i had mono!! Was wondering if this was a coincidence, or if somehow Chantix had suppressed my immune system and allowed me to contract mono. I am 41 years old, and certainly not kissing anyone but my husband. I am at a very low risk normally for getting this! Anyone else had any experience similar?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 8th, 2008
Chantix and now I'm really, really sick....
I began Chantix on Jan. 10th. I stopped smoking with no problem, no cravings...desires, crabiness, etc. At 6 weeks (Feb. 22 or so) I find myself running to doctor every week because of SEVERE!!!!!! sore throat, then the feeling of a something stuck in my throat the next week, now - mouth is sore (never had mono) - seems like the very inside of my lips feel 'burned'...they sting. Test for strep came back negative. And I haven't kissed anyone in the past 6 months. Going for endoscopy on Monday - doctor possibly thinks it might be acid reflux, but I've never ever had that either. I was 100% healthy, fine, wonderful before I started taking this and now - all heck has broken loose. I've spent more money on Doctors/medicine in the past month than I would have a month of smokes....and now may possibly have something that could be with me the rest of my life (acid reflux). But...I am curious about the mono....interesting.
|

replied January 20th, 2010
!!!
!!! since starting the chantix my throat has fallen apart! negetive for strept and mono. ive never had tonsil probelms but after it getting worse into the second week in my third it feels like my throat is being ripped out everytime i sneeze. my tonsils are huge and have patches. the naseau in the morning is pretty brutal
on a seriously good note i am not smoking ...haha. and i can rest assure once the trial is over ill be smoke free and be able to swallow fluids. or have my tonsils removed (i can use a week of of work)
|

replied May 17th, 2010
I took Champix in March of '08 and I am still suffering from most of the side effects of this poisonous drug. I started to feel some of the bad effects (nausea, mental fog, trouble sleeping, sore eyes, constipation, gas) of Champix right away but I was determined to quit smoking. I was able to make it through the full 3 month course but when I stopped taking it is when I really got messed up. I developed Psychosis NOS, Major Depressive Disorder, suicidal, Emotional instability, agression, rage, hallucination, Somatoform Disorder, Delusional Parasitosis (bug crawling sensations all over my body), Hyperacusis (sensitivity to certain frequencies of sound causing severe pain and pressure in my ears), Severe Insomnia, Memory Loss, Hair was constantly hurting all of the time and lost lots of it (27 year old male), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (started as extreme constipation and gas, fatigue, Severe Eye pain, unslightly puffy bags under eyes, excessive weight gain, gingivitis, prostate pain, black out and become out of control when drinking, decreased sexual pleasure and ability to maintain erections. I think that is everything!!! I just got out of the mental ward a few weeks ago where I was treated like scum and given brain damaging neuroleptic (anti-psychotic) drugs against my will. I have made some small improvements since taking champix but it looks like the nightmare will never truly end. If you are one of the many that gets burned by this medication be warned that the doctors will probably not be able to help you and will most likely deny that anything is even happening to you or that it is related to Champix and the side effects may be permanent.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

please spread the word. If you have already taken Champix please report any side effects to Health Canada so that they will take this poison of the market before it destroys more lives. Doctors are not obligated to report adverse reactions so you must do it yourself.

I have seen many reports on the web saying Champix is great from people who are still on it. I understand that many people who take Champix experience only minor side effects while on Champix but in my case I really got screwed up after I stopped taking it so please do not post until you are done taking Champix and let us know how you are before telling other people how great it is.
|

replied November 26th, 2010
Sore Throat
Hello Nursemo, I am suffering from more or less same problem. I took champix for around one months. After that I got very bad sore throat and it is not leaving me from last thre months. I tried everything...Antibiotics, antialergics, antacids.. but no cure. Can you please let me know if your throat is fine now? If yes, how did it cure?
|

replied March 29th, 2011
I feel that there may be a strong link between having suffered from Mononucleosis/Glandular Fever which is caused by contracting the Epstein
|

replied September 27th, 2011
I feel there is a possible link between the chantix and my now increase viral loads for EBV, CMV, HHV6 and cozsackie, just to name a few I have.

The trouble is getting diagnosed with these. They symptoms get pushed into the psychiatric catagory and even a persons symptoms of CFS/ME get pushed into a conversion disorder with doctors refusing to conduct real testing first.

I could have accept the diagnosis, and all my symptoms began a week after taking chantix for 2 weeks. What compounds the problem is when one is so sick it is that much harder to be an effective advocate when trying to insist to doctors that something beyond the emotional/mental possibility exists.

Neurologists wouldn't even consider a side effect of chantix. Yet, especially after reading this....I wonder still.
|

replied July 17th, 2012
Throat pain after taking Chantix
Wow thanks for the insight I am in the middle of week 2 and my throat is killing me. My boyfriend is experiencing the same. I wont continue with this drug after im done week 2. Im sorry for all that you have experienced in the previous posts but I am grateful that you shared your experiences.
|