Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleep Paralysis and Feeling Extreme Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
greetings, new here
i have been going through sleep paralysis since i was a little kid, i remember every single detail, i was wide awake, but could not move. as years passed, the episodes have been evolving. I started to feel extreme pain on random parts of my body, most often on my ribs, legs, and crotch area. Theres are even times during an episode, where i see a set of police figures beating me with batons, every single blow, an immense feel of pain rushes through me. Is this normal, To feel pain during an episode, no where have i heard of pain being experienced in an episode.
Ive also tried sevral sleep positions, whether im on my back, left side, or right episodes occur, i even get them during naps.

thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tjovolve13
|

replied September 27th, 2007
bump

any help will greatly aid me
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2007
Experienced User
i have actually felt pain in my dreams as well, like the other night, i had a dream about my dad, and he was, in my dream, back with my ex step mother who i am not fond of, and in my dream, the pain that i felt inside was so intense, that i don't even feel intense pain like that in waking life. it's so strange how i ask people if they can fly in their dreams, or control them, or ever wake up in someone elses home while still asleep, and nobody can relate to me. i am also curious if it is normal to feel pain in dreams. feedback is greatly appreciated from me as well Smile
|

replied November 5th, 2007
Me To!!!!
It feels better to know I am not the only one. You are the first I have found to have the extreme pain durring sleep paralysis, I have it in the same places too, along with others. It feels like I am being ripped apart or someone is twisting my muscles and organs. I wish I knew what caused the pain. Just know that you are not alone, I feel better knowing i'm not crazy. I went for a sleep study once and they said they had never heard of it either, but someone must know why there is pain and how to stop it! If anyone knows why please let me know! My guess is that since I can't breath there is not enough oxygen reaching the blood and therefore my muscles start cramping and freaking out. Any other guesses?
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2007
Experienced User
well, dreams usually mean something, and they work from your subconsious, however that works Smile lol so it could be something that you may dealing with in your everyday life that you're having a hard time accepting, or maybe something form your past that you never came to terms with? not sure hun Smile when trying to get a grasp from a scientific point of view, it's very difficult, because almost every possibility is over looked. it's sad but true.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
thanks, the article did help. I have now accepted the fact gracefully of course since its impossible to cease the disorder, the only way to substantially reduce it that works for me, is to sleep intoxicated. i dont recommend it, but it gets the job done.

by the way, when ever i sleep on the back position, and go through an episode, i did not have the control to breathe, or at least i think.
anybody else go through this?
thanks
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2007
Experienced User
thank you for the advice, now that i think about it, whenever i do have a few drinks, and go to sleep, it doesn't really bother me. hmmm thank you for the input Smile it's always nice to know that one is not alone in things. it is said that on the back position, it's easier to have episodes, and i myself have found that it is true. why i don't know but the whole thing is really difficult to get used to.
|

replied July 7th, 2008
My boyfriend also experiences pain during sleep paralysis.
I've been looking everywhere to find other people. And ask them about it.
It seems like it would be really scary. I'd like to ask questions about other parts of sleep paralysis....
Can you be pulled out of an episode by someone "waking" you again?
or does that just make it more painful?
Can you tell if someone is having an episode of sleep paralysis, like has someone ever noticed that you were having one?
|

replied July 7th, 2008
Can you be pulled out of an episode by someone "waking" you again?

im not sure, just this morning my dog sneaked in my room in the middle of the night. Then later in the night i went through an episode, i can feel the dogs fleas on my body and i could still not move nor wake up, so i doubt a person can wake you up.

Can you tell if someone is having an episode of sleep paralysis, like has someone ever noticed that you were having one?

whenever i go through an epsiode, i can open my eyes, but not move them, and can see around me. so maybe a good way to tell is if you see your boyfriend with his open and not moving. maybe. im not sure...

if ure boyfreind is looking for a remedy, and live here in california, i suggest medical marijunana, never have i gone through an episode while on it
if you and him arent too fond on the use of it, i dont know of any other remedys Very Happy
|

replied January 25th, 2009
someone waking you during sleep paralysis
i've had a couple girlfriends that could tell when i was having an episode of sleep paralysis, and yeah it works.

i've had it since i was a little kid but the episodes did get more & more intense as i got older. hearing 1,000 screams right in my ear, or someone or something right on top of me. extremely intense gouging pains in my side or crotch area, or feeling like all the bones in my body are breaking.

then it got a lot more interesting when the sleep paralysis started turning into lucid dreams. i've read a couple books on lucid dreaming since they started and found out that the terrors and pain all stem from systems of fear. the bad episodes have calmed down since then. i think that the pain and terror is being manifested by our own imagination while in this "awake" dream state(or lucid dream).
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Sleep paralysis plan
Hi there, am new here but wanted to share on sleep paralysis..
I have experienced extreme pain, and visual and sound hallucinations, I often hear people coming in to the house and can move to stop them. I have had it since I was a kid and its downright awful....BUT....my husband and I have got a plan worked out, which is my saviour now..
If I go into an episode, I can still control my breathing, so as soon as I realise I am in it, I breath in and out as fast and hard as I can - my husband hears it, wakes up, and is able to put a hand on me and shake me out of it. It sometimes takes me a while to remeber I can do it, and he doesnt always wake up to rescue me immediately, but it sure beats what used to feel like hours and hours of it!!
|

replied July 12th, 2009
Solution (kind of)
Same problem here. So far, the only solution I tried that worked is that once I am paralyzed to count to three and then try to cause myself to spasm by moving by arms, legs, trying to close my toes, and making a fist (or open my hand if i am already making one). It is EXTREMELY hard to move, but my theory is that my brain is trying to "wake up" my body since the second I manage to move any body part (takes one or two tries) the pain completely stops in its tracks and disappears completely and I can move again. Hope this helps.
PS. I have given this information to other people and after a few tries they have been able to get up, but it is worth noting that sometimes the paralysis is so bad that you cant get up. It is always possible to simply shake your body and try to fidget in your episode, this will dilute the pain greatly, but the pain will not go away unless you actually move an individual part of your body. Fingers and toes will unparalyze the arm or leg that they belong to, once that happens all that is left is to move that and you're awake.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I have this 2 and am afraid it has to do with bad spirits or even aliens
|

replied July 18th, 2009
Seeing things in sleep paralysis
there has been one paticular episode i had where sorta the same thing happened, but not police looking figures, there was a tall one with odd things on its head like a hat or something and a realy short one that just stood by.

the tall one was beating me with some long looking thing. it dident hurt but it was realy scary.

another time there was one realy fat looking one and a smaller one, the big ghostly figure threw something round at me and i precived it to.. like mesh into the side of my body.

i hate these sleep paralysis!!! they are always scary and i almost always see things and hear voices! it's lame.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
please advice
hello I have had sleep paralysis since I can remember (I'm 23 now) and it only lasts for a few seconds, it feels scary like someone is in my room or I just feel really unsafe and paranoid, even though I know I'm safe. Sine I have experienced a lot of these I found that I concentrate on moving just my finger or I breathe really fast and it wakes me up, I have never been "put under" anesthesia and I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled and I'm very scared that this could happen during surgery or something horrible like I will be able to feel everything but not be able to move...am I over reacting or should I be scared?
|

replied September 5th, 2009
sleep paryalsis
SARAANN, i've had sleep paralysis happen to me aswell through out my life. more often now that i'm in my 20's they've been happening more often. i'm currently 23 years old. i've also had the feeling of a strange presence in the room with me, a few times i've even hallucinated a shadowy figure or demon like figure in my room! sleep paralysis has happen to me while i was sleeping but my mind was awake and it's happen too where i was sleeping and my eyes actually opened in real life..but i couldn't move....this stuff is NO FUN at all.....today something happend to me upon sleep paralysis that had never happend before, i felt random pain on parts of my body like "tjovolve13" mentioned in his post, "I started to feel extreme pain on random parts of my body, most often on my ribs, legs, and crotch area." so now i'm here online reading up on other peoples experiances.....i've never felt so much pain like that before! but the moment i woke up for real in the physical world i stopped feeling all pain..i felt violated somehow......i don't know how to describe it!

as for getting wisdom teeth pulled, i also was having bad anxiety that this would happen to me when i was having the surgery, but you know what honestly i didn't remember ANYTHING NOT A THING, and that's because i'm like hardcore at remembering my strange dreams or things that happen while my body is asleep and mind is awake, the drug works in a way that just tottally shuts you down, i'm not even sure you can dream? i don't rememeber not a thing! i just remember pure black...that's about it....the drug also works so that it relaxes your entire body, you might be all scared and tripping out that you're gonna have a panic attack or sleep paraylsis, but really you won't, i think your body prepares it self for something serious that is about to happen and the medicine they use is really helpful it doesn't hurt or make you feel pain, you are in complete relaxation...trust me, i over analyze everything too! and i have had tons of strange dreams/sleep paralysis..i would tell you if i thought there was something to worry about, but i think like i said the body prepares itself for the serious tooth removal surgery it's about to go through and that alone protects you from anything you think could harm you while you're asleep.

sincerly,
c.rose
|

replied September 5th, 2009
i would love to talk to someone more on this topic, please reply to this if you would like my e-mail so maybe we can talk more! none of my friends ever know what i'm talking about when i share my experiances, makes me feel weird Sad
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Throbbing sirens
Hi I am also 23 and have I have had SP on and off for a few years now, the first time I had it I had been awake the following night on magic mushrooms and was on my own, I was so tired i fell asleep on the floor yet my mind was still awake no matter how loud i tried to scream for my mum all I could do was whisper. Really scary considering I didnt know what it was. since then I have always had my lovely girlfriend to wake me up by breathing really heavy or moaning as I can now control my eyes and my vocals but no mouth. I have had some really cool times and some bad times but tonight was too much, several times I have tried to go to asleep and I have had SP involving really painfull siren type ringing, which hurts my head and my body almost making me feel sick. luckily I can wake as soon as my girlfriend shakes me. but im afraid if she is not here i will have to cope with this awfull ringing which i cant put into words. she woke me up minutes into each episode. what I found fasinating is that the first time it was just ringing so i moaned, got woken up, told her about it, then each episode after that my mind involved the sound so it became part of a dream, for example- one involved some people I knew running into the room because a siren was going off, every 1 was covering their ears but it kept getting louder, then I could start feeling it throbing in my body and thats when I relise im actually dremaing and have control so tell them to leave and I start moaning for my girlfriend to wake me up.. Im now too affraid to go to sleep and am sitting here all night.. hmm..

Emyr Evans

|

replied September 15th, 2009
maybe ive been miss-dx'd
im also 23...an have been having sp episodes for the last 8 years or so..i also was dx'd with neurocardiac syncopy(the heart fails to get enough blood to the brain)..its a heart disease where ill go through episodes of blacking out for a few seconds to few minutes i can still hear and am aware of my sourroundings. i feel my sp episodes are somehow related to my heard disease. also the pain i feel is not like everyone else is explaining..when sp happens to me its like iwake up and my goal is to get someones attention so they can help me wake up(sometimes i cannot be pulled outof this state for several minutes) the pain for me occurs like clock work aprox every 8 seconds or so ill feel like im being shocked in waves of 1sec each. the most pain is in my head and feels alot like my fainting spells..a pulseing migrane..im scared that it may be related to my heart disease or that i have been miss-dx'd (my step mom has epilepsy and i feel like how she expplains her seizers that maybe this is occuring in my sleep)..all i know is the pain is there its real and it lasts in the form or a migrane after i wake up..if you have any ideas please let me hear them....i need the help (also the sp and the heart disease began around the same time)
|

replied June 7th, 2011
sharp pain during SP
hi iv had SP on and off since i was 13...im 28 now..and the one i had last nite was really scary..normally during SP i cant move, cant speak, and the more i try to snap out of it, i have feelin someone/something like an evil force is sittin on top of me and crushin me..normally i don't recall feeling much pain except not being able to move..but last nite during SP i had an incredibly sharp pain in my head, it was like pressure building up i thought i was gonna explode...it felt like i was being electrocuted ..it lasted for about 2-3 seconds or more..Sad it wasss sooo terrible...i dont know what to make of it, i just hope it doesn happen again...by the way i red somewhere that if u wanna try get out of SP start wigglin your fingers (start with pinky)...i did that and it helped...hope ur well
|

replied October 11th, 2009
hey, im only 17 and i have had sleep paralysis throughout my life,more often when i was younger. and i got it not so long ago. may i suggest that marijunana,DOES NOT help. i am now paranoid from it in everyday life. its gotten alot better now though ive moved on form it but there are still times where i dont feel safe and start to panic when i nknow its ridiculous because i was just in HMV and started getting a bit flustered for no reason.

in my sleep paralysis, i was laying on my back with my right knee up. i started to hear white noise and a slight muttering of voices, i then saw this strange creature looking thing sitting on my stomach. it was just a face. allmost asif a devil sort of face. it was terrifying. ive never been so scared in my life because my eyes were open.i was awake and i was seing all of this for real as though my eyes were projecting it. i tryd shouting for my mum but my mouth just heated up realy bad. then a few minute slater ( i assume ) i snapped out of it.

recently i have now been feeling pain in my sleep, my teeth were falling out and it felt like someone was just ripping them right.

i have dont have alot of stress anymore but very bad things have happend in my childhood and i am currently still concerned about my familys well being due to a couple of things whitch have happend recently.

in my eyes there is something MUCH much deeper too this, supressed anger/memories thinking about my past and understanding it a bit more did help. and meditation...i know it sounds extreme but meditation helped ALOT for me aspecialy with chi (yin&yan).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralys is

thats what wiki has to say about it...something about REM (rappid eye movement) take a look for your self, you might find it somewhat interesting. the picture most definatly intrigued me,as of the hole "devil type thing sitting on my stomach" id love to talk to other people about this to get a bit more of an understanding about it because it is very strange and well...im not alone Smile... unfortunately.

and also to the last comment...i also had epileptic fits when i was a baby,and i woke up from having one in my sleep not so long ago either...i dont know if is to do with that or just coincidental but,weho knows
i hope that was of some help.
take care people
|
12 >>