Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Post Hernia Pain in my lower groin ! (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I had a inguinal hernia approximately 2 1/4 years ago. I had the surgery in which mesh was placed into my lower abdomen. Since this surgery I have had ongoing pain every time I start working out again. I just started working out a few weeks ago, I have not been lifting heavy weights. I run, jump rope and life light weights on a stability ball. I was going to be a personal trainer and have a cousin and best friend who are personal trainers, I know my form is correct.

To get to the point, lately I have been feeling stabbing pains in my lower groin, right underneath the area I had my surgery. It happens sporatically. Sometimes I can jog/run without any pain, other times the pain hits and I do not even want to walk much further. I was hoping someone could help me with this. From reading up on the topic, I have read numerous articles that state that a nerve in the area might be causing the pain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper GDSM
|

replied September 23rd, 2007
Re: Post Hernia Pain In My Lower Groin !
Hi, you are best going to your surgeon to check it out properly.
From what I know it may be either what you think, the nerves causing you pain, or you may have a new, femoral hernia. Women tend to get this kind of hernia more often than men, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't have it just now. It is a bit lower than an inguinal hernia and usually if you experience pain it is where the hernia is situated but can also travel down the inside of your thigh and can be quite nasty.
Is anything protruding in the area where you have the pain? Does the pain travel down your thigh? If not then you may have problems with your nerves, but either way you really should go and see a doctor to get it checked out.
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
husband is victim
I can't believe I have found other people with the same problem as my husband. He had a hernia repair with mesh, pain developed and radiates to his testicle. He says it feels like someone is pinching his testicle contantly, they did an exploration...nothing better, removed part of the mesh...nothing better. We were visiting the ER at least monthly until he started pain management, drugs helped, but not enough. Had a neurostimulator placed which helps control the pain in addition to drugs, but still can not function on a day to day basis. Has anyone ever had the nerves removed and had pain relief?
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: husband is victim
wifeofpainvictim wrote:
I can't believe I have found other people with the same problem as my husband. He had a hernia repair with mesh, pain developed and radiates to his testicle. He says it feels like someone is pinching his testicle contantly, they did an exploration...nothing better, removed part of the mesh...nothing better. We were visiting the ER at least monthly until he started pain management, drugs helped, but not enough. Had a neurostimulator placed which helps control the pain in addition to drugs, but still can not function on a day to day basis. Has anyone ever had the nerves removed and had pain relief?

Hi and Welcome to ehealth.. Smile
I'm glad you found this forum also..I am sorry to hear your husband is in this situation also.I see first hand how this affects a family, everyone suffers.. Mad
Do you know what type of mesh your husband has?
Did they say why they didn't remove all the mesh? I might be answering my own question here but it sounds like your husband has nerves that got entrapped which could be why they didn't take all the mesh. He could also have scar tissue (which happens with surgery) that is adding to his pain.
I really sympathize with you and him.
I know this isn't much but you are not alone many people are suffering.

I've been in contact with others in this mess, males and females. The males have this same pain as your husband.
Have you gone through some of the posts and have you checked the sticky in this forum titled hernia mesh complications?

Keep us posted.
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Testicle and abdominal pain
After having a laproscopic hernia repair done about 15 months ago, I began having pain in my testicles, back of left thigh, lower abdomin, and lower back. I also have occasional sharp burning pain in my chest and stiffness I my neck, wrist, and ankles. I have seen many doctors, including urologists, rheumatologist, cardiologist, and GPs. The urolologist thought I had prostatitis and put me on antibotics (Bactrim, Doxycycline, and Levaquin) none of thes made a difference. The GPs and rheumatologist did extensive blood work and spine x-rays and all result were normal. I recently read about how the mesh used in hernia repair may cause complications, so I went to see the surgeon that performed my hernia repair and I asked him if the mesh could be causing my physical problems. he acted like he had never heard of this, but after I insisted, he did agree to do an MRI on my pelvic area. In the meantime, I am in the process of getting a detailed surgery report from the hospital that will tell me what type of mesh was used. Since the surgeon seemed reluctant to consider the possibility of the mesh complications, the question I have is once I have the MRI results and the surgery report, how can I tell if the mesh is causing my physical problems. If anyone has experienced this or has any advice in this area on how to proceed. I would really appreciate it.
I am going crazy trying to fiqure out what is wrong with me.
|

replied May 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Testicle and abdominal pain
ongoing problem wrote:
After having a laproscopic hernia repair done about 15 months ago, I began having pain in my testicles, back of left thigh, lower abdomin, and lower back. I also have occasional sharp burning pain in my chest and stiffness I my neck, wrist, and ankles. I have seen many doctors, including urologists, rheumatologist, cardiologist, and GPs. The urolologist thought I had prostatitis and put me on antibotics (Bactrim, Doxycycline, and Levaquin) none of thes made a difference. The GPs and rheumatologist did extensive blood work and spine x-rays and all result were normal. I recently read about how the mesh used in hernia repair may cause complications, so I went to see the surgeon that performed my hernia repair and I asked him if the mesh could be causing my physical problems. he acted like he had never heard of this, but after I insisted, he did agree to do an MRI on my pelvic area. In the meantime, I am in the process of getting a detailed surgery report from the hospital that will tell me what type of mesh was used. Since the surgeon seemed reluctant to consider the possibility of the mesh complications, the question I have is once I have the MRI results and the surgery report, how can I tell if the mesh is causing my physical problems. If anyone has experienced this or has any advice in this area on how to proceed. I would really appreciate it.
I am going crazy trying to fiqure out what is wrong with me.

Hi

Sorry you are suffering as well. Many surgeons will not admit there's a problem with meshes. The FDA was investigating but I'm not sure what is going with them anymore. This is a serous problem, too many people are suffering.
A lot of the tests you had will come normal. I am suffering with groin, thigh,leg, now lower back pain, etc..
If you haven't checked out the sticky at the top of the hernia forum please do so, There's some helpful information there about the hernia meshes.

I will reply more after as I have to run to see another surgeon who realizes there is a problem with meshes.
There's only a handful surgeons who believe the meshes are no good.
hang in there, there are many people fighting for answers.
|

replied June 9th, 2008
Hernia complications
Hi to all,
I have been asked by serenity to post on this site so that i amy offer some help in discussions of hernia operations, mesh complications and alternatives that may be safer. I am not a doctor but I am one who has suffered for years now from a hernia mesh surgery that went horribly wrong. I am in ongoing discussions with the FDA/CDRH about the post market complications of almost all polypropylene mesh implants. To make a long story somewhat short... I had a Bard Perfix Plug and Patch implanted in me for a left inguinal hernia. When the surgeon opened me up he noted that there was not a hernia at all Direct or Indirect but decided to do the operation anyway and implanted the Perfix plug and patch. I knew immediately that something was wrong. I went back to him for many post op visits, only for him to tell me that everything is normal after a year of going back to him, he felt that he may have stitched up the nerves in my groin and told me he wanted to go back in. I did not allow this and went for a second opinion, of which this surgeon told me that indeed my symptoms indicated an entrapped nerve. By this time I had heard about the Kugel and Bard Composix recall and aske the second surgeon that while inside of me could he remove the mesh. Well, He did not and only did a single Neurectomy. Needless to say, I was still in very bad pain and could barely stand up staight. I went back to this surgeon for many post op visits until he said he could not help me any more and reffered me to pain management. After 60 Nerve Blocks and many types of anti depressants and pain medications including percocet, oxycontin, tramadol, morphine noe of these helped. While all of this is going on I began doing research into why I am in so much pain and found that the mesh was the culprit. I went to many surgeons until I finally found one that was not scared and knew exactly what was happening to me. For 2 1/2 I was dissected to have this implant removed from my body. I am not better by any stretch of the imagination as the nerves in my groins were so severely destryed that I am now diagnosed as having RSD a whole new fight. I am better knowing that this product is no longer inside of me and I was repaired without the use of mesh once the other was taken out. I am back to work and yes it is still a struggle but everyday i am a little stronger. If I had known that the surgeon was going to implant a mesh inside of me i would not have allowed it. Now I have been researching these product since Dec. 2005 and have wealth of information that I would love to share with all of you in hopes of helping provide answers and hopefully be able to point one and all in the right direction in hopes of finding help. please feel free if you have any thing. I am not a doctor but I may be able to poit you to one that may help.
|
Users who thank GDSM for this post: ^Serenity^ 

replied December 6th, 2011
It hurts
Hello GDSM, I would like to talk to about your fight with pain. I have had since 1986, about 22 hernia repairs and surgery's related to the pain I have among them are bilateral testicular removal, had cut nerves leading to scrotum, some mesh removal bowel adhesion's to start and not over yet , I know there is relief somewhere! Your description's of your pain is much the same as mine. I have traveled long and far, Pennsylvania to Wisconsin and California to no avail yet. They have tried, Pain killers, anti depressants, anti convulsants, steroids, "tens" acupuncture, and the list goes on and on some has helped, some are outright useless please. Perhaps a combination of the above or something else could help. Please write back I am willing to bet there is through conversation that an answer is at hand. While I look at my E- Mail daily I do not look through my book marks every day,
Thanks,
Tom
|

replied June 9th, 2008
What has the FDA/CDRH said so far?
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Right now they are not saying much and are staying tight lipped. I have been doing this for almost 2 years with them. I am afraid that this next conversation that we have is more of a fact finding mission. They have all the facts already that I along with others have sent them. besides myself this conversation will have at least 2 other patrticipants that have been struck by these atrocities. I am fighting to end this and hopefully we can acomplish something with the FDA in the coming days.
|
Users who thank GDSM for this post: ^Serenity^ 

replied December 6th, 2011
Please GDSM,
How do you contact FDA/CDRH and can you up load the communications with them. Do you have a lawyer and if so would he want to communicate with me Please see my post of 12/06/2011
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Do they have an e-mail?
|

replied June 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
hbkshowstopper28 wrote:
Do they have an e-mail?

Did you fill out the adverse event report? If you need help in doing this send me a pm or send a pm to GDSM.
|

replied June 11th, 2008
No, I havent had a surgery for it so I dont think I can. I figured I would e-mail them about the problems i've heard though, since having more people sending them a concern is better.
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You need to have had the repair and report any complications from the hernia mesh.
You can go to the site and read the reports people submitted to the fda, follow the link in the sticky at the top of the threads. It doesn't mention names as this is confidential but you can read the problems others have encountered.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
groin pain rsd pain any help please
i also had a double ingunial hernia repair back in 2000 i have had nothing but problems sence the surgery two days after surgery they had to pump my stoamach cause my biles wasnt working.i have had several nerve blocks done but only temp relief im on oain meds now oxcycotin 40 mg and oxcycodone 30 mg 5 times a day i am now in therapy for depression.they wanted to re explore but they told me that no garuntee that i would be better and there was a slight chance i will be worse off they did both of them the same day it was the way i requested it.now after 9 years a doctor has informed me that i have rsd in the groin it swells up my testicles swell and hurts to touch im fighting ssd but have been deniened so many times i settled with workers comp but have kept thier medical for my condiontion and now that doctor has said i have rsd they dont want to pay for the office visits now i had too pay 110 out of pocket last month because they are refusing to pay saying rsd isnt work related they have told me off the record that the doctor screwed up during surgery 3 months after he did my surgery he retired was in his 60's now i really dont know what to do my legs go to sleep all the time and the swelling is hurting like crazy the meds help a little but never has made me pain free any help would be so much appreciated i have a good lawyer now its my doctors personal lawyer so any help choices will be helpful for me
|

replied August 9th, 2009
Thank goodness i had a non-mesh surgery on my femoral hernia of which went misdiagnosed for 4 years.
If you want honest help rfom an honest surgeon who will not perform mesh repairs but help those who are messed up from them look to this site... noinsurancesurgery,com

You won't regret it. straight shooter Dr. peterson md is a surgeon. No BS, No mesh,
impeccable record. I went to las Vegas to see him, I am so glad I found his website when I did.
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2010
Help
Hi, I am looking for some HELP. I had a double inguinal hernia repair 9 months ago. I am still soar and in pain. Ok I can deal with that. More than that I have to urinate all the time! even after I go the feeling is still there. Its horrible. I have had ever test, scan, and med in the book. I have been treated for ever unrelated possiblity like bladder or prostate and kidney issues. Now All my doctors are comming to realize it probably has something to do with the surgery. But know one can tell me anything. I need help desperately. Any feedback at all may be helpful...
|

replied February 11th, 2010
all of your problems are related to the surgery and the implantation of mesh inside you. You need to get your surgical records from the hospital where the surgery was performed to see what type of mesh is inside of you and look for a surgeon who can safely remove it. DO NOT just let any surgeon remove it. It is a very intricate surgery and should only be done by highly skilled hands. Do not let the mesh stay inside any longer. The longer you wait the more pain and problems will be associated with it.
|

replied February 12th, 2010
Experienced User
Do you have any recommendations on any surgeons that you may be aware of that are best qualified for mesh removal?
|

replied February 12th, 2010
there are some and depending upon where you live, you may need to travel. You can contact me at coach_jim2001 at Yhoo.com. I might be able to help you better if I knew where you were.
In Philadelphia there is Dr. Meyers very very experienced and has only your best interests at heart. He is who I used. It is a long story and can tell you more directly if you can contact me. I can also be reached at six oh nine- eight nine three- oh seven nine three. I do know of other surgeons that can help but again you may need to travel.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
Post Right Inguinal Hernia-
Need Assist.-Female-53 yrs old, 5'5'',130 lbs. Active prior, walked 4 miles/day. 5 weeks post direct right inguinal hernia repair with secured Prolene mesh; Prolene sutures secured medially to the rectus abdominus fascia at the rectus fascia, to the pubic tubercle,to the inguinal lig. to a point lateral to the internal inguinal ring and at the rectus fascia along the conjoined tendon to the lateral point of the internal inguinal ring.
Having urinary pressure, deep inguinal pain, tight R abdominal muscles from the umbilicus to the mid back after 2 to 3 hours of standing or walking. Sitting is painful. Waken with pain while asleep. Is this normal? Recommendations to eliminate pain are appreciated.
HE
|
12 >>