Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

the Symptoms of Skitsofrenia (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
hey there
i was wondering if someone could tell me what the signs are of having skitsafrenia
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wax
|

replied September 20th, 2007
Experienced User
type in a search on google for it, im sure youll find everything you need. general signs are delsuional thoughts, bizzare thoughts and beliefs, hallucinations, hearing voices, paranoia, depression , delusions of the granduer
|

replied March 17th, 2009
Skitsofrenia is largely misunderstood and dumped into the catagory of illness, where maybe it doesnt even belong. There is such a thing as healthy skitsofrenia. Dont be afraid of it, just look at skitsofrenia from this perspective: having to think,work,act in multiple different ways to achieve the same goal or objective, because one character has a certain set of abilities different from the other, that they each exell at.
Working in a group to achieve these goals.
Adapting to the role most needed in the group to reach this goal.
You need to be able to control your own mind though, and realize that you are all those characters and also what your intention is.
Everything is what we can imagine it to be.
Don't need someone to tell you what the signs are, you need to explore yourself to find that out.
|

replied March 17th, 2009
wax, you are describing DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) otherwise known as multiple personality disorder which has NOTHING to do with schizophrenia. I will explain schizophrenia (that is how you spell it by the way) it is the most devastating of all the mental illnesses. It is divided into "positive" symptoms and "negative" symptoms which have nothing to do with good or bad. It means added or subtracted from a "normal" person. The positive symptoms include delusions (a false belief), hallucinations (any of the senses can be affected, but hearing voices is the most common followed by visual hallucinations), disorganized speech/behavior, catatonia, and the negative symptoms are things like anhedonia, flat affect, not talking much or taking care of yourself, etc. The delusions in schizophrenia are usually bizarre (there are 2 categories of delusions, nonbizarre and bizarre) and the bizarre ones are impossible to happen in real life where as the nonbizarre ones can but of course it isn't. So, that is what schizophrenia is.
|

replied June 18th, 2012
Finally someone who explains it in layman terms I know your post is from 2009, but its dead on. My daughter has been suffering from schizophrenia for the last 3 years and I"m still exhausted from trying to understand everything involved with it and never knowing what to expect or what to do. From her cutting her meds in half cuz she doesn't want to be a zombie to her being delayed in her responses, to her conspiracy thoughts etc... but thanks I wish you would tell me a little more in your words how to help her. We had a really bad week, She'd answer 1 out of every 10 questions you ask. It took her 4 hours for her to get dressed, I tried to take her out for a hike, I thought being outdoors would clear her mind. I want to see the fun loving silly outdoor girl who was such a social person that everyone wanted her around...
|

replied December 18th, 2009
i need anwers
i am being tested for it but what if i dont think i have it
|

replied December 18th, 2009
i need anwers
i am being tested for it but what if i dont think i have it
|

replied January 4th, 2010
skitsofrenia
Listen, my aunt is a skitsofrenic before there was medication for it. She said everyone looked distorted and monstrous. She would have hallucinations of people trying to kill her. She would also not eat or shower. She would hide in her house, away from civilization. She grew skinny and pale until my grandparents went to her with medication. She has been improving since. A skitsofrenic will not be a person who likes to be in public places. Usually, a skitsofrenic will act childish and illogical. My aunt presented all these symptoms. Although, I'm not sure if everyone gets it that bad.. Well, good luck.
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Some people with schizophrenia have major changes in their thinking and behaviour which can last for a long time, while other people may have fewer changes for a shorter time. Between the episodes of disordered thinking the person will have normal times.

The main symptoms of schizophrenia include:

* Thought disorder: Thoughts and speech can be very jumbled, jumping from one topic to another without any obvious link. It can be very difficult to talk with a person who has schizophrenia.
* Delusions: These are false beliefs of being persecuted, or of guilt, or of being very powerful. Some people may think they are being controlled by others, or that they have special powers. Some feel so afraid of others that they withdraw or hide to keep themselves feeling safe.
* Hallucinations: This most commonly involves hearing voices which the person thinks are criticising them or telling them what to do. Some people have hallucinations affecting what they see or feel or smell. To the person having the hallucination, these seem real.

While the person has these changed thought patterns, their illness can be called an 'acute psychosis'. Treatment with medication will usually reduce these psychotic symptoms.

Other symptoms of schizophrenia include:

* Loss of drive: The person doesn't feel able to do the normal tasks of living, including washing, cooking, or changing clothes. This is because of the illness, not because the person is lazy.
* Changes in the way they show emotions: They may not show happiness or sadness when it seems those feelings fit a situation.
* Social withdrawal: This may be due to fear that someone will harm them, or fear that they will not be able to interact well with others because they have lost social skills.
* Lack of insight: Because delusions and hallucinations seem so real, people with schizophrenia can be unaware that they are ill. This, plus the side effects of medication may mean they refuse to take medication.
* Thinking difficulties: Their concentration, memory, ability to plan and organise may be affected, making it harder to work things out, communicate and complete tasks.
|

replied February 21st, 2010
my mother inlaw has the symptoms of schizophrenia,she won"t eat or want to take a shower,she talks to some one who is not there,is this all normel? how can we get her to eat? my wife does not know what we can do,,,can someone help? thank you, mark and frances.
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Hey
Hi, I Hear Voices In M Head, They Tell Me To Count To A Certain Number Or iI Die, Or My Friends Or Family Will Die. Or They Tell Me To Touch An Object A Certain Number Of Times :S And Once I Saw A Clown, But I Knew It Was My Imagionation. Please Tell Me What To Do, I Dont Want To Tell My Family Because They Will Think Im Crazy Sad .xX (Also I Hear The Joker And Harley Quinn Talking To Me In My Head :/ I Feel So Stupid Sad Please Help Me Out.x
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Hey
Hi, I Hear Voices In M Head, They Tell Me To Count To A Certain Number Or iI Die, Or My Friends Or Family Will Die. Or They Tell Me To Touch An Object A Certain Number Of Times :S And Once I Saw A Clown, But I Knew It Was My Imagionation. Please Tell Me What To Do, I Dont Want To Tell My Family Because They Will Think Im Crazy Sad .xX (Also I Hear The Joker And Harley Quinn Talking To Me In My Head :/ I Feel So Stupid Sad Please Help Me Out.x
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Marky marky marky markety mark.

If they threaten you or your family with death from counting you just buck up and say, no Im not counting, well maybe to twenty or something like that. You say fine, kill me, Im not counting, and guess what it's not going to be your fault. They did that to me as well, they said that I was responsible for what they did, which at the time they were threatening to hurt my family if I didn't do something. So of course they said that I had hurt my family, and then I realized that nope, that was you, assuming that they did anything at all.

What a schizophrenic truly needs is knowledge, holy wisdom you might say, but I guess thats really what we all need.

A clown eh, have you ever read stephen king by any chance, "it" was a really good book that there is absolutely no basis in reality apparently, it's a good read though, perhaps you should check that one out.

As to the original post, the symptoms can only be seen and heard, but not really understood, your going to know that something is wrong with the person but not really understand what, why do you think that they never want help, or won't trust anyone, or wont accept their medication. Ask them more questions, and ask them as if you cared about them, say, what is going on in your head? Or perhaps, why do you feel the way that you do. It's funny how when people see someone acting these ways they cease to ask any questions about why they are acting these ways.
|

replied March 13th, 2010
Thanks For The Advice, But Im Scared, Last Time I Stopped Counting The Voices Said To Me "Start Counting Again As Something Bad Will Happen". I still Stopped Counting, And The Next Day I Was In A Car Crash :S . What Do I Do Sad ?. And Yer, I Have Seen The Movie Steven Kings IT, I Saw That Clown. Btw Are YUU A Doctor?
|

replied April 14th, 2010
skisofenia
i had a case of skisofenia the other day i had just quit cannibis a few weeks before and had a sort of breakdown i even got taken to hospital i had had trouble spelling be4 so if my words are wrong then dont worry. i found since people had been telling me its a load of rubbish i have got better i beileved for a short while that it was a spiritaul takover, i even looked on the internet to find that the witching hours were 12 till 3 at night and that i had been taken to hospital in these hours that the hours that i went and left were exact made me believe it was spiritaul, and made me think its alright to be speaking to myself because of that i had aslo had been reading about bruce lee and his pholoshopy witch made me think about a void i had suudenly entered and then a spiritaul takover had happend. skitsofenia can be very deseptive it wasnt untill i told my mum that she laugh at me that i realised that it was rubbish some people believe if you catch it early that it can be stoped i also beleive this. i also beleive it has done damage and to move foward from this situation i needed a counter arguement and my mum did exactly that skisofenai can be cleaver and i found that the best help was to just tell someone and discuse counter arguement with other people of watever thourghts were running tho my haed.
|

replied April 14th, 2010
Well, I suppose that yes you should, keyword there, should tell someone, but what should happen hardly ever does really, when It was happening to me, they kept me quiet about it, they feared me into shutting up about everything and not getting help, they took control.

It was all worth though, I find myself strangely grateful for the whole painful mess that Im in, because, I would've been like everyone else, which is bad by the way.

Thats a hilarious post up there, what is that person thinking I wonder, she or he said that there relative delusionally thinks everyone looks monstrous. I don't know why anyone would think that, because as we all know the human race is wonderful and good for the most part don't we, perhaps your relative is just learning what you are not.

I remember one of My symptoms if you can even call it that was learning about people generally, what we all were deep down, and it was frightening, it may even make you a bit paranoid you might say, even not want help. In my case, im paranoid only because I know. So you should all find out what is really going on with your relatives.

No, Im not a doctor!

|

replied April 27th, 2010
im 16 iv had skisofenia for about 4years and im allways depprest wanting 2 kill myself i hear voces internaly and externaly and the voses telling me 2 kill others i had a bad day the other week when the voce told me 2 kill this lad in school how i have a grudge on i allways get bulled in school and evry1 i talk to regects me apart from my gf x
|

replied April 28th, 2010
What can i do to help my friend go back to therapy?
Hey
My friend is 18 years old and recently has admitted to hearing voices in her head. Not long ago she smoked vast quantities of weed for a long amount of time. The other week we had a barbeque at a friends house, it got cold out and so we all went back inside to warm up. We were all sat in the living room except for my friend who was outside the front having a cigarette by herself. One of my friends heard her having a conversation which we assumed to be a hallucination, because she has been known to have them before, when we went outside to see if she was okay, she told us that she had walked down to the church at the bottom of the road because someone told her to go into the graveyard. She said that she wanted to turn back but she couldn''t because she felt she was being watched and that whatever it was would get angry and possibly hurt her if she didn''t do what it said.
She was also diagnosed with depression not long ago, which she felt was brought on by the troubles she had with her boyfriend. And when she broke up with him she felt that she didn''t need the therapy anymore. Me and my friends think she has got schizophrenia, but she doesn''t go to the therapy anymore because she thinks shes removed the problem that was causing it.
Can anyone suggest what I could do to influence her to go back to the therapy and hopefully be diagnosed?
Thanks, Laura
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
My names anna, my boyfriend has schizopherina, and the docters are blameing it on me. Idk if i caused it and if i did i wanna help and if i didnt i wanna help, what can i do,
|

replied June 24th, 2010
Why are they blaming it on you, I don't understand why they would.? Are you a witch or something?
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
hi. to all the schizophrenics out there idk if uve heard of the canadian doctor abram hoffer, but he treats schizophrenics using niacin and a special diet. i highly recomend to any of you who are schizoohrenic that you check out his book "Healing Schizophrenia:Complementary Vitamin and Drugs Treatments" by Abram Hoffer
|
12 >>
Tags: symptoms
Quick Reply