Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control Interactions Question (desogen + Doxycycline)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Okay, so i've been taking desogen for a little over a year now. I just got my wisdom teeth out and my doctor perscribed the antibiotic doxycycline (100 mg a day) for a week.

On wednesday the 10th, i started my first placebo/spacer pill from my pack of desogen. Around 11 that night, i took my first doxycycline dose. Now, tonight, the 6th night of my placebo pills i took the last one. I have one mroe placebo pill tomorrow and the wednesday i star ta new pack.

I'm wondering if there are any percautions i should take? I have heard mixed opinions on the interaction between the two (one said use a backup method for one full month, another said that since i only took the doxycyclien for a short amount of time, i dont need to use a backup method and am good to go)

also, this time my period has been superlight, could that mean the antibiotic has already affected my system enough that i could be pregnant? (had sex that first wednesday, the first day of antibiotic + placebo pills)

how important is it to use a backup form of birthcontrol along with my desogen, besides for protection from stds? if so, for how long?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Birth Control Interactions Question (desogen + Doxycycli
remmnants2011 wrote:
Okay, so i've been taking desogen for a little over a year now. I just got my wisdom teeth out and my doctor perscribed the antibiotic doxycycline (100 mg a day) for a week.

On wednesday the 10th, i started my first placebo/spacer pill from my pack of desogen. Around 11 that night, i took my first doxycycline dose. Now, tonight, the 6th night of my placebo pills i took the last one. I have one mroe placebo pill tomorrow and the wednesday i star ta new pack.

I'm wondering if there are any percautions i should take? I have heard mixed opinions on the interaction between the two (one said use a backup method for one full month, another said that since i only took the doxycyclien for a short amount of time, i dont need to use a backup method and am good to go)

also, this time my period has been superlight, could that mean the antibiotic has already affected my system enough that i could be pregnant? (had sex that first wednesday, the first day of antibiotic + placebo pills)

how important is it to use a backup form of birthcontrol along with my desogen, besides for protection from stds? if so, for how long?

Because you were on the placebo week for the whole duration of the antibiotic, nothing was interfered with! You were totally safe - talk about lucky, that the antibiotic and your placebo pills overlapped like that! Smile

I would advise using condoms or the like for 7 days after the last antibiotic you took, just in case some of the antibiotic is still in your system on Wednesday when you start the new pills.
|
Did you find this post helpful?