Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

If I have a typical virus How Long Am I Contagious For?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Hello,

I realize that this seems like a very lame question, but under the circumstances that I am in, I feel that is is something important to ask.

Here is my situation:

My girlfriend's sister (Who is about 27) has a very premature baby last year that was in the hospital for a very long time after it was born. The baby is home now and is doing very well. But her sister is now VERY concerned with people being sick around the baby because the risk of the baby getting sick (which could be very serious for it). Well, my girlfriend moved out to live with her sister for about 4 months and I am set to visit them on the 29th of this month. But today, I began having a sore throat and I am afraid that I may be coming down with a cold or something like that. I realize that 12 or so days is enough time to rid myself of the symptoms but I really need to know if I am ok in the long run and when I get there. So my question is: If I have a typical virus (cold, sore throat, etc.) how long am I typically contagious for?

I really hope for an answer soon. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tylergrohoski
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Over time, a virus becomes less contagious but doctor aren't sure xactly sure how long someone stays contagious after symptoms disappear. It's a good rule of thumb to be sure that's you're feeling better and any fever has been gone for at least 12 hours. Once you start feeling better, a virus may still be present in your nose for as long as two weeks, but you are much less contagious. ...
|
Did you find this post helpful?