Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Sleeping In a Bad Bed and Back Pain Questions !

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
Can sleeping in a bad bed (or bad mattress) cause an injury to your back?

I just ask this because I was in Denver 1 month ago and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel that had the worse mattress in the world - I had the worse sleep of my life there. The 2 days I was there my back ached so bad and all the way home my legs ached. Now 1 month later - for the past 2-3 weeks - I'm being told by my chiropractor that it is my sciatic nerve - as both of my legs ache from my butt all the way down my thighs - usually just on my left side. Also my left shoulder/ & left side of neck is achy too - sending shooting pains in my hand and areas by my wrist & elbow. -- Also, mention lower back is hurting/ or soar but not as bad as it did 2 weeks ago.

I hurt the most when I'm sitting, and feel "better" when I stand or walk (is that weird?).

For the past week - off & on ... my muscles feel tired (but I, myself am not tired - if that makes sense) ... I haven't had any injuries in the past month. I'm all worried I have Fibromyalgia, but I really hope that's not the case.

Does anyone have any words of advice for me? Thanks. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Bad Mattress
Hello Stray Light,

DEFINITELY!!!, a bad mattress can cause your back to really hurt. I've been there a number of times.

Whether a bad mattress can actually cause a spine injury, that I do not know. Yes, it may be your sciatic nerve as your chiropractor has said.

I would highly recommend that you see a good spine doctor and have her/him determine if you have a spine problem.

I wish you the best.

RichT
|
Did you find this post helpful?