Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Hiccups And Burping?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I'm not even sure which category to put this under. For the past 4 months or so, I've been getting hiccups a lot more than usual. I probably get a "fit" of hiccups at least every other day. I will also hiccup randomly (as in just one hiccup) about every hour. More recently, for about the past month I've been burping involuntarily (is it always involuntary). Most recently, it happens once every 5-10 mins. It's not too obtrusive, but it's weird/annoying. Before this, I almost never burped, didn't know what burping felt like, cannot make myself burp, etc.
At my last physical (about a month ago) my doctor noted that I had a lot of air inside my abdomen. She just told me this and I didn't really think much of what it meant. Now I think it's all related.
I would feel REALLY silly going to the doctor about hiccups but I think I might go soon. Most recently I feel sort of a "pressure" in my stomach, nothing too bad and nothing painful.
Does anyone have ANY idea of what this is? I was thinking maybe a food sensitivity. How the heck do they get rid of air inside of you? And how is this all treated?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 8th, 2009
i have the exact same issue and am wondering what is wrong with me. I used to burp a lot before too. but nowadays i am getting this sudden one hiccup and burp combined thing thats so annoying and scary. and yes i too sometimes get that pressure feeling in my stomach and i have to keep burping a lot and it relives for a seconds and then the pressure comes back agian. The only thing i got done last year was a endoscopy and that came out fine but for some odd reason I feel its after the endoscopy that I started developing this phenomenon. I keep thinking something is wrong and feel stupid
|

replied July 17th, 2009
frequent hiccup turned burps
My 8 year old daughter is having the same issue. Her symptoms are better described by rv2131.
|

replied December 5th, 2011
God, scrolled down so happily to find an answer and disappointed nw.. My case is even worser.. My BP is a bit elevated bcoz of this and have all the problems said above.. Always feel bloated.. May be bcoz of spicy food also !! I have stage 2 oesophagitis known from an endoscopy a year ago.. I was finding it extremely hard to burp and now burping every minute with frequent hiccups !! My GP said my BP is due to stomach gas !! And by the way i smoke 2-3 ciggs a day and drink as well !!

Can i have an answer or cure ??
|

replied June 24th, 2012
I used to have this same problem when I when I was about 8 -9 years old. Then one day it just stopped. It went away for ten years and all of a sudden they started up again yesterday but this time way more intense, sort of like that spasm feeling you get when you throw up, but it sounds/feels like a burp and a hiccup. Lol I used to call them burp-ups.

My burp-ups kept coming in 5-10 second intervals, and I also felt the pressure building in my abdomen as I had the short reprieve. It came on suddenly out of the blue. My sister suggested drinking water and breathing into a paper bag, but that really didn't help very much. Then she gave me a spoonful of peanut butter to eat, and they were gone in two to three minutes.

I had two fits of these today each lasting ten/fifteen minutes until I ate a spoonful of peanut butter and took some calming deep breaths. So hopefully this will help some.

I started taking a new medicine recently that can make you drowsy a lot and have noticed I've been yawning very deeply, and I've always swallowed a lot of air in general unknowingly, so I do suspect having all that air inside the body may be a contributing factor. But try the peanut butter, and see if that works. (:
|