Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Miscarriage and Stillbirth Forum

Miscarriage At 14 Weeks ...

On July 25, 2007 I found out I was about 10 weeks pregnant through the health clinic. I did blood work and made a date to go to the doctor on August 28th (She didn't have any earlier appointments.) On August 22st after eating dinner I saw some red blood spotting which got me worried and I went to the Hospital Emergency room. (NO pain). Upon arrival the E/R doctor told me I was having a spontaneous abortion.I told her I wasnt having any pain and she cant make that decision without me getting a proper exam done. Finally the nurse came and got blood test done. Upon receiving the blood results, they looked normal. That doctor then did a physical examination, which was hurting me and I asked her to stop because she was causing me excruciating pain (I know its uncomfortable but it wasnt suppose to be painful. They then did a sonogram that showed the baby was about 11 weeks and was viable and had a good heartbeat. They did find a small hematoma near the placenta. I was then seen by another doctor and he told me that everything looks good and to follow up with my ob/gyn in about a week.None of these doctors were ob/gyn and I was then dicharged. I had some minor brownish blood the next couple of days but was told this would be normal. On the 28th I followed up with the nurse practioner at the clinic and she said everything looks ok and I should take it easy but my sonogram looks normal and my blood test all came back fine and the brown discharge appeared to be normal and the clot was dissolving. On Sept 2, I woke up in the middle of the night with red blood again, went to the Emergency room again and was brought upstairs to the Maternity section, I was seen by a ob/gyn who told me that I had placenta previa and the spotting was from that. They took blood test, sonogram and physical examination everything showed the baby was viable, lots of movement, strong heartbeat and I should just go home and rest. I kept having brownish discharge up until September 10th. I awakened in the middle of the night with my bed wet, this was a pinkish color. On my way to the Hospital I started heavy bleeding. I told the ob/gyn that i had awakened by me being wet but it wasnt urine. It was pink in color not yellow and I just started heavy bleeding. My blood pressure had dropped to about 83/67. They did a songram and a physical examination and said everything looks fine, lots of fetal movement, strong heartbeat and my cervix was closed and they dont understand why I am bleeding. I told them last week when I was there I was diagnosed with placenta previa. The doctor said that she doesn't see any signs of me having placenta previa and she would need to call a high risk pregnancy doctor for advice. This was at 3 am. At 6am they did another sonogram and another physical examination, and explained that my cervix was closed and the baby has lots of movement and strong heartbeat and they would like to keep me in for further observation because of the heavy bleeding and I would be transferred to the high rish maternity ward and be kept for possibly 1-3 days to monitor the bleeding and even told my mother to go home and get some rest (she had brought me in) Around 8 , the shifts had changed and I was seen by another doctor who said he would be taking over for the previous doctor. He also stated that are going to keep me there a few more hours to monitor before bringing me upstairs to high risk maternity. I stated to him I was starting to feel cramping and he stated its from the blood irrating the uterus and he would get me some tylenol. About an hour later, I asked to be put in a bed because I was uncomfortable in the chair and i told them I was hungry which they said that the IV is feeding me and that I might be able to eat my lunch time. They finally put me in a bed and a nurse came in to check my blood pressure but was interrupted by a the tech who wanted to do a sonogram and she stated she would come back to check my blood pressure. Upon return of the nurse, she told me I was being discharged (never took my blood pressure). Stated to me that the sonogram came back good. Baby has strong heartbeat, lots of movement and there isnt nothing more they can do. I asked her about the cramping and the bleeding, she said to use use hot compresses and tylenol for the cramps. I went home around 1 pm, had a cup of soup and fell asleep. I was awakened at around 5:30pm I started feeling painful stabs in my back, couldnt get out of bed. My mother called the ambualance and they put my on a stretcher. Upon my way to the hospital they took my blood pressure and stated it was very low and I explained to them I was earlier in the hospital and was discharged. The paramedic told me she finds it weird that I was discharged with the heavy bleeding and with such low blood pressure. The machine was beeping because my blood pressure was so low.(when i was discharged nobody checked my blood pressure just my temperature and a sonogram) I ended up miscarrying in the ambulance. Upon arrival at the hospital the fetus had already expelled out of my body. They took the fetus to pathology for examination. I was put on an IV and was given 2 morphine shots for the pain. I had a sonogram done and a physical examination make sure there were no remains. When the bleeding subsided and my blood pressure was stabalized. I was discharged at around 1 am. Why did the first doctor state they were gonna admit me for observation and once the shifts changed the other doctor sent me home? I'm basically looking for answers as to why this happened and if stated in the hospital would the outcome been different? And why all the different diagnoses? I was bleeding for more then 12 hours non-stop what about the blood transfusion? If I was bleeding so much wouldnt that mean the baby is not getting enough blood?
I know nothing will bring my baby back but I am so confused as to what happened. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Experienced User
im so sorry to hear this happened to you....im not sure what kinda of help i can be ive never been in that situation i will say one thing you have an extremly good case for malpratcie on all the drs and nurses that couldnt seem to tell you exactly whats wrong with you....they go to school for a long time to do what they do and for more than one dr. to look and you and prognose you wrong is unfair,unjust and just plain wrong....i know sorry doesnt bring your baby back but i want you to know feel free to pm me anytime...ive been told im a good listener and and good cholder to cry on so feel free
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
Your story is pretty much the same as mine except I was never diagnosed with placenta proveria and I was well looked after in the emergency department. I miscarried at exactly 14 weeks and had been spotting for 5 days. I went to the Hospital on the Monday when I first started spotting and after being in there all day I was discharged and told to have bed rest (which I didn't do because I had an active 8month old to look after). I then continued spotting which I was told may still continue but as long as it did not get heavier, I am to stay home. I woke Saturday morning just before 4am and thought I had wet myself, on the way to the toilet I noticed I was dripping with blood and I started to have bad cramps and lost around 1litre of blood witing for the ambulance. I birthed my baby on the toilet and it was horrible.
I was well looked after by all the medical personel but there was nothing anyone could have done. I have since had test result come back that say I had no infection, the baby didn't have any defects and was thriving etc. I am confused and upset that I miscarried my baby. I have been told many times that there is no reason to explain my miscarriage and that there was nothing anyone could have done, including myself. I still look for answers though - hence why I am on this site....... I am sorry you and I (and others) had to go through this :/
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Miscarriage 14 weeks
I started spotting yesterday and went in for an ultrasound, the baby was kicking away. The Doctor told me to rest for 48 hours, but like you I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. Well today around 2:00 I started cramping really bad, my husband rushed home and I felt dripping down my legs and went to the bathroom, I too passed my baby in the toilet, it was awful. I just got home from the hospital and I'm laying here with my 2 1/2 year old. I am so sad and keep wondering what I did wrong. I said goodbye to my baby and said a prayer...my husband did not want me to look but I had to, it's my baby. It helps me to read about others who have gone through this, though I am so sorry for anyone who has too. I was 14 weeks.
|

replied June 1st, 2011
14 week miscarriage
@Ilu
I am so truly sorry... I wanted to message you to let you know that you aren't alone in this. I recently miscarried at 14weeks and I found myself searching for someone who understood what I was feeling. I never imagined a miscarriage would be so emotionally painful. I'm an OB nurse and still I found myself wondering what I did wrong. The nurse in me knew this was out of my control, but the grief was so powerful it overrode anything I knew as a nurse. Was it because I went jogging, was it the coffee, was it because I didn't take my vitamins every single evening, was it because I was so busy at work I didn't rest enough? Even though the OB doctors I work with told me it wasn't my fault, I was still beating myself up about it. Others would try and comfort me by telling me god has a plan, this is natures way.. and I find myself thinking well god and nature have a pretty shitty plan.. and I've also heard, well at least you have two beautiful children already, even though we do have beautiful children, it doesn't take away from this loss.
What I want to share with you is that it's okay to cry never be sorry for shedding a tear, and the guilty feelings of what we may have done wrong, it's a natural part of our mourning process. I also want you to know that with each passing day it get's a little bit easier. It's been 4weeks since my miscarriage and today was the first time I was able to tell someone I had a miscarriage without being on the verge of tears.
I am so sorry for your loss and I hope in time you find it in your heart to not blame yourself.. I hope this helps you with your healing process.. you take care..
|

replied August 21st, 2011
I know this post was originally from 2007, but i was looking for answers & discovered this is EXACTLY what i just went through. Only difference was, i was working, and started to have breathing problems at 13 weeks so i left and went to my nearest ER, even though they didn't have OGBYN's there. They were mean and asked me why i came there knowing that, but i'm sorry i think i need to be able to breath and my OBGYN's hospital was 25 minutes away where as this one was literally 2. Anyways, they gave me a breathing treatment and then i needed to go to the bathroom, so when i went i literally almost filled the toilet up with blood. sent me into hypovolemic shock. I started cramping miserably. They did an ultrasound & it showed a happy healthy baby bouncing around with around a 160 hb. but when the dr did an internal exam said my cervix looked open so they had to transfer me to my obgyn's hospital. when i got there they said all looked fine, they didn't know what the blood was from but my cervix was closed so sent me home to follow up with my dr. this was a friday night/saturday morning. Then saturday & sunday i continued to bleed but not heavy like it was. Then i woke up monday morning around 1 & the same thing like the ER happened again. I ended up calling the ambulance & while waiting i passed out from loss of blood. When i got to the hospital again, they did an ultrasound baby was happy healthy heartbeat and moving around. So they were discharging me. At this point i was upset. I had lost ALOT of blood. the baby looks good, okay, but what about me? that amount of blood loss is not normal. so they checked my iron counts & they came back 8.9 they called my ob & he said to discharge me & for me to come in as soon as they open. It was 6:30 & they opened at 8:30, so i did. He examined me said my cervix was closed he had no explination for the blood loss & all he could do was put me on iron pills more folic acid & changed my prenatals. put me on complete bed rest i couldn't get up except for to go to the bathroom. This was monday. I did that all day monday & tuesday. & tuesday night i passed a clot. called the dr, sent me to labor and delivery to get checked out. by now i was over 14 weeks. I went in there & still cervix was closed baby was happy. but blood was way down & i was very dehydrated. So they said they wanted to monitor me over night. At this point i had started to go into labor. full on contractions. they gave me meds for it & a couple hours later i delivered my little angel. It was hard. And people don't really understand what i'm going threw. i'm young & it wasn't planned. but it's like just because i didn't carry full term & then loose it, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. This just happened this past Wednesday. So i haven't gotten the pathology report back yet. But what i don't understand is if the baby was still alive and my cervix was closed until i started having the contractions then why didn't they give me something to stop them? i know they have stuff like that. I just don't get it.

Has anyone else had any answers to what caused all the bleeding before hand?

oh & i also have a bicornuate uterus. (heart shaped) if any of you have heard of that. but they told me that it didn't have anything to do with it until i got into my 20+ weeks. i have a higher chance of going into labor around then.

Anyways, i hope someone still comes on & reads this & has some help!
|