Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

Periods After Menopause !? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
Hi, new to this type of forum but I would appreciate any input from you.
I'm 54 years old; I can safely say I have not had a period in approximately 2 years. Beginning Labor Day weekend I began experiencing all the symptoms that most of us experience during "those days"; i.e. swollen breasts, lower abdominal right sided pain (mid cycle pain for those of us who have forgotten) mood swings, blah, blah, blah.
On Sept. 11, I got my period. It began with a medium flow increased to a very heavy flow and is now tapering off. Normal monthly period as I remember them. Breast pain is gone and I feel like my old self again. This is very bittersweet. I'm relieved because I feel so much better, but the flip side to all of this is I'm worried this is abnormal. I have been in touch with my gyn doc and he's probably not as worried about this as I am. Wants to run a battery of tests, ultrasound, pelvic exam and bloodwork.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ladybug2356
|

replied September 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I do not have any experience, since I have yet to go through menopause, but I wanted to tell you that I think your doctor is being cautious (which is GREAT!) and wanting to run a battery of tests. There is no reason not to have those tests run and, if all you find out is you had an odd relapse of hormones, then that wouldn't be so bad. Smile

Good luck. Sorry you had to buy more feminine hygiene products. That must have really sucked after 2 years!
|

replied October 17th, 2007
I am 53 years old and stopped menstruating over 2 years ago.

Last month I began to have odd sensations in my pelvic area. It felt as though my right ovary was having spasms. These "spasms" continued on a nearly daily basis. A few days after they began I felt two sharp pains in the area of my uterus.

The spasms began to worry me, so I called my gynecologist. He had me come in and he did an ultrasound. He said my ovaries looked fine, but the lining of my uterus was much too thick.

He attempted a D&C, but could not dilate my cervix. He inserted some kind of pill and said that it would cause my cervix to soften up. I returned the next day to have the D&C done, but again my cervix remained tightly closed.

He then gave me a prescription for Provera. I was to take it for 10 days and it would force a period. Upon beginning the period, I was to call for an appointment to have the D&C done.

I picked up the Provera but did not take any of it because I had begun to experience tenderness in my breasts. The soreness increased, and my breasts became swollen. I was also very irritable and suffered a day of severe hip pain which I couldn't account for. I had done nothing to strain my hip. Except for the hip pain, my other discomforts were exactly like my former PMS experiences. I began a full blown period yesterday.

I just spoke with my doctor, and he seemed very pleased with me having a natural (?!) period. He had been quite concerned over the thickness of my uterine lining, but now he says that it makes sense; it's what would have been expected before a period. He said that this is probably my very last period, even though it has been 2 years since I went through menopause.

Bottom line, this is not something for me to be worried about. He does want me to come in after my period is done so that he can do another ultrasound, just to make sure that things look normal.

And yeah, it really stinks dealing with maxipads again! Hopefully this IS the very last time!
|
Users who thank Sue M for this post: brockley2 

replied October 22nd, 2007
Period After Menopause
I'am 54 to and having a period had the ultra sound done that was ok.i go back to the doc next week. kinda of worring on whats gong on. i am hoping my hormones are really messed up. i have not gone a year let without spotting. any ides from anybody thakns
|

replied October 26th, 2007
I think that one is considered post menopausal after going 1 full year without having a period/spotting.

After spending quite some time reading forums such as this one, it appears that it is not highly unusual to have a period after going through menopause.

Just as there are different body types, etc, there can be just as many different ways each of us go through physical life changes.

As long as you are under medical care and have good communication with your physician, I would not worry too much. Our imagined fears are powerful only if we allow them to rule us.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
ovary pain
I too have been post menopausal for 5 years. About a year ago i started to see very almost non exsistant pink tinge. It didnt last long so i thought nothing of it. About three months later it happened again and this time there was alittle bit of blood on my pad once again it didnt last long. Now i havent had a bout with it for 7 months. Once in a while i will get pain in my right ovary that will last for about 8 days, Motrin or Tylenol will take it away. I have asked the gyno if it is normal to have an aching ovary after menopause and he didnt see a problem with it. I have another appointment with him and i am leary to go because of the minor bleeding. I have heard of other women with this but for me its tramatic. Has anyone had anything like this???
|

replied September 8th, 2008
Periods after Menopause
I just had my first period after 2 years. I'm glad to see, that I am not along, thought I was seriously ill. Ignored the painful swollen breats and the retaining water, until the period showed up. Hopefully this is the last one, I certainly didn't missed them.
|

replied January 15th, 2009
Periods after Menopause
I too, am currently having a period at age 56 and almost 2 years since my last period. I, too, was concerned when I felt the PMS symptoms first in my uterus and then with the breast tenderness, and increased libido. It has been four days and is tapering just as it did when I was younger.
Glad to see that I am not the only one. Thank you- other ladies, for sharing!
|

replied February 10th, 2009
periods after menopause
Hi I'm new to this site but glad I found it ...I also have'nt a period for 2 years and now tender breasts sensitive nipples and cramping are going on too in y body...a very small pink ting of blood and now it's gone to the brown ...I've gone for blood work and just waitnig to see my gyn ...i'll keep you's posted ..and also thanks for shearing
|

replied February 10th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi Wendy0921 and welcome to ehealth....We look forward to hearing from you after your doctor visit....

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied February 14th, 2009
My mother had her last period in November 2008. She will be 51 years old this June. She experienced severe vaginal burning sensation on Feb 10th alongwith frequent urination. The burning sensation had gone away by Feb 11th morning. Today (Feb14th) she started to experience severe abdominal pain...even more than what she experiences when she used to get her period/ middle of the cycle. Is there anyone who has experienced this? Thank you very much.
|

replied March 6th, 2009
Period after Menopause
I haven't had a period for about 5 years and three weeks ago I felt as if I was ovulating. Then last week my breasts were terribly sore, had a severe headache and on Sunday my period started. It felt just like it did when I was having regular periods years ago. The entire week has been like a regular period and it is slowly tapering off. Any one else experience this in the past and what was the diagnosis?
|
Users who thank mcprin for this post: MRSA1126 

replied September 5th, 2011
I just turned 50, and I am having the same experience.

How did your situation turn out? I have doctors appointment and I will let you know how it goes.

Look for my post :
Postmenopausal / no GYN care for 25 years

I have just been doing the natural thing. But, I now find myself needing to get checked since childbirth in 1986.
|

replied March 14th, 2009
after menapause
i am 45 2 years without periods no pains nothing clear smear tests but last october had 1 day small bleeding slightly went to doc they sent me for scan inside scan showed that my cervix was thick abnormal for being out of menapause went to gyn they have booked me in for a iopsy and dnc hpoe this isnt sign of cancer doc said quiet common can any one help or tell me whats wrong
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Period after 5 years of nothing but menopause...
Yes, you ladies have helped me. I got my first period in 5 years. The problem is, I have a doc that has a really nosey receptionist. I need to speak to him, not her. Any suggestions?
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Ignore the nosey receptionist just call and make an appointment, she doesn't have to know what its about..and if she asks, tell her you're getting some info. and that's it
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Tell her that this is something personal...If this does not work, talk to his nurse...

This is the way I would do it...Good luck..

Caroline
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Periods starting again after nothing for a year
I had my last period in december of 2007. then all of a sudden around the 20th of march 2009, a year and a couple of months without any period i had one and it was a normal one, heavy and lasting around 3-4 days. Now on April 18 I am having another one,. Is this normal? Just before this happened I had my annual exam and my pap smear was normal and my blood work was normal too.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes, it is pretty normal...They come and go for a few years....Just part of life...

Caroline
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Periods After Menopause
Glad to see I'm not alone. Hadn't had periods in about 15 months. In February, had light spotting for a week. Went to gyn in March and ultrasound showed everything ok with 3mm uterine lining. Blood work last Sept. showed me to be in menopause. In mid-April started to get pre-period symptoms - breast tenderness, cramps, etc. A few days later a regular period started, flow was heavy at times. Now it's mostly spotting but still going on 3 weeks later. Will visit my gyn later this week and I'm sure he will want to do a biopsy to be on the safe side. But this feels exactly like a period (just a long one) and I'm sure it's hormonal fluctuations. My uterine lining was very thin just over a month ago. I've read of lots of women having periods/bleeding after supposedly being menopausal. The "12 month" time frame appears very arbitrary to me. Where did this come from anyway, since so many women still have periods after 12 months of nothing?
|

replied May 7th, 2009
weight loss
? During menapause I put on weight. Can I expect to loose weight now that my periods have stopped?
|

replied May 7th, 2009
Community Volunteer
IMO, only if you diet...However, I think a woman has more of a tendency to eat out of stress while going through this period of her life...Comfort food can sometimes help the inner self..but not the waistline.. Rolling Eyes .

Best wishes,
Caroline
|