Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms Forum

Is Constipation Early Pregnancy Sign ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I know, weird topic Embarassed - but I read that constipation is a early sign of pregnancy ... I konw also now to believe everything I read, so I'm coming here. ALong with the nausea, I have definitly had problems in this area. Is this a normal "early" sign too?

I cant test until I miss my period (If I do) next week ... just curious.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper andreatav
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes I have constipation and I just tested positive in a HPT.
|

replied December 1st, 2007
Constipation
I was wondering if it was a sign too, because i am really regular going number 2 and now it seems like i am not going for days. I cannot test for my BFP until dec. 6th. does anyone record temps? my back hurts too. my lower left side.
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
no its not a sign
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Yes, in fact it is a very common symptom of pregnancy! Most women have constipation some as early as three weeks into pregnancy as the digestive system slows down to hold onto nutrients.
|

replied January 11th, 2008
Experienced User
yes it is a sign. 5 months ago i was pregnant and had a miscarrage. i was two months pregnant and constipated. everyone is different. dont forget that
|

Especially eHealthy
softerxsin wrote:
yes it is a sign. 5 months ago i was pregnant and had a miscarrage. i was two months pregnant and constipated. everyone is different. dont forget that

if you go to a dr and say "im constipated whats wrong with me"
a million things will pop up before pregnancy
|

User Profile
Supporter
It can be a symptom ALONG WITH OTHER SYMPTOMS. Like a missed period?
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
You can be constipated without being pregnant. You can be pregnant and never be constipated. Sorry hun, the only way you will know for sure is if you take a test. There is no pregnancy sign like that, that is a for sure indicator of pregnancy....almost everything that can happen with a pregnancy can also be due to something else....even a missed period. Thank goodness for HPTs lol.
|

Experienced User
the_girlfriend wrote:
softerxsin wrote:

if you go to a dr and say "im constipated whats wrong with me"
a million things will pop up before pregnancy

yeah i understand that but wasnt the question asking if it was a sign of early pregnancy...? i think so. and if you told a doctor your signs of pregnancy and you mentioned that he would tell you it was.
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2009
YES CONSTIPATION IS A SIGN OF PREGNANCY..
women that know there bodies and know that everytime they gotta go to the bathroom they dont always have to push and then all of a sudden they do, and constipation has been happening a little frequently and you also know that you've had unprotected sex and there could be a chance that you're pregnant.
Um yea common sense would tell you that has a little something to do with it.
And not only that, when my sister was pregnant and she talked to her doctor about it, she said yes constipation is a sign of pregnancy.
so yes "young girl", "softerxsin" is right.
And everybody's body is different, so in some cases some pregnant women dont have constipation.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Especially eHealthy
MrzLady wrote:
YES CONSTIPATION IS A SIGN OF PREGNANCY..
women that know there bodies and know that everytime they gotta go to the bathroom they dont always have to push and then all of a sudden they do, and constipation has been happening a little frequently and you also know that you've had unprotected sex and there could be a chance that you're pregnant.
Um yea common sense would tell you that has a little something to do with it.
And not only that, when my sister was pregnant and she talked to her doctor about it, she said yes constipation is a sign of pregnancy.
so yes "young girl", "softerxsin" is right.
And everybody's body is different, so in some cases some pregnant women dont have constipation.

Well, to be fair, you would probably miss your period before you started being constipated. That should trigger enough common sense to take a pregnancy test.

There are hundreds of reasons for constipation that do not include pregnancy. If pregnancy is suspected, a pregnancy test is necessary. I wouldn't determine a pregnancy on constipation.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
.......................................... ........
not all women can test on a hcg test expecally women who have pcos (polycystic overian syndrom ) the test will always give a false nagative test result even if u are .. i just found this out as i was experienceing constipation and cramping and thought i was prag but all my test came back neg i didnt think bout my ms because iv never been reg .. and i ended up in the hosp from extream cramps n found out that i was indeed preg .. so yes constapation is most deffently a sign of being preg
|

replied May 13th, 2010
question
well, ok. i have a question for myself to this thread... im on depo, but im showing so many signs of pregnancy. like.. breast tenderness, frequent urination, mood swings, (yes, constipation) and a few other things. i guess with depo, its very hard to get pregnant, but i was also a little late on my last shot. ive thought to be pregnant before, but was only showing a few signs. but this time, im trying to tell myself im NOT pregnant, but i needed someone else's opinion on this. im going in for my next shot today and will get a test, but i dont trust the doctors there, and they might not tell me if i am or not, or they might not even take a test. they are always "busy" even though theres hardly anyone ever there.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
trust your gut .... my cuzin had to babys on birth controll one on the pill and one on the depo shot it can happen
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2010
ok first off im on depo too also having constipation nd diarehha i dont even know why sorry probably too much info but true.. i also been having mood swings too. im on my last month on depo right im suppose to get my second shot on the 9th but not too many effects and scares.
|

replied January 15th, 2012
I used to be on the depo, and let me just say that the hormones injected in that shot gave me all sorts of "pregnancy" symptoms.Sometimes it's just the extra hormones/or lack of from not having a period, that gives you those exact symptoms.
|

replied May 2nd, 2011
I guess there are a lot of moody, pregnant responders on here. What's with the unessesarily rude replies? Jeez!
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
I was on depo for several years and had many symptoms of pregnancy. Many birth controls cause similar symptoms because they release horomones that make your body think it is pregnant so it won't attempt conception. So, unfortunately, the only way to know in that case is by getting a doctor your trust.

Waiting to determine if you are pregnant can be killer. But really the best way to know is to wait and test. If it's still negative, but you are missing periods, see your doctor.
|

replied May 27th, 2011
I agree with Genie 69! Lots of grumpy people! I googled this topic and this thread came up because I've been constipated for a week and am usually very regular. I eat lots of vegetables and have the occasional cup of coffee. Just took a test and it came out positive!
I agree that it is one of the many signs (tender breasts, heightened sense of smell, sore back, etc...) but it is definitely a sign. Lighten up people!
|

replied May 29th, 2011
Experienced User
Hey to all,
I think where the problem could lie is that there is a difference between sign and symptom. I do agree with "mominashoe". Example: A symptom is headaches or nausea. A sign is a a positive pregnancy test. Well, just my little tid bit:~)
|

replied May 29th, 2011
Experienced User
Hey to all,
I think where the problem could lie is that there is a difference between sign and symptom. I do agree with "mominashoe". Example: A symptom is headaches or nausea. A sign is a a positive pregnancy test. Well, just my little tid bit:~)
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Is constipation an early sign of pregnancy
Hi, I've been constipated (as was I when I was in labour too) and did a test to rule out pregnancy, after taking the morning after pill 3 weeks ago, only to get a positive result. Got the shock of my life lol!
|

replied October 18th, 2011
Scaredddd
I am 1 week late Sad and I am constipated and if I go 2 the toilet it hurts, after reading this I am scared. Wish me luck x
|
12 >>